• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest -Southend United -Manager

How did Akinola get back in the team? Was that really PB's decision? He said in the post match interview that he didn't know who was in charge anymore sounded like he was 'persuaded' to let Sim play?

Yes, it was PB’s decision.

PB is an experienced manager, been in the game an awful lot time, both as a player, an assistant and a manager, do you really believe he’d be taking orders from a chairman to pick a certain player.

PB doesn’t need the money, he’d have told RM where to stick it.

I’m not sure where that comment come from, but my best guess would have been a either a subtle dig at SC rocking up again (Having appeared to have outlasted him back in the Summer) or at RD’s increasing role at the football club, but I’d side on the SC side on that one.

So if a late candidate comes in, will he/she be considered if they are very good? Will any interim manager be considered if his results show he has what it takes?

Afternoon everyone

Sunday and all day yesterday, Gary Lockett, Tom Lawrence and I ( Ron will attend final interviews) turned a long list into a much shorter one in the hunt for an exciting new Southend United managerial team.

I'd like to thank Gary and Tom for their excellent due diligence, hard work in making sure we looked at every candidate from every possible angle, and their input which continued long into the night.

I suggested dividing the final candidates list between the 3 of us ( plus the club officially where appropriate), contacting them and starting a full day of interviews tomorrow. To that end I've contacted my number of candidates and they are delighted to have made the final cut.

Final number to be interviewed I won't divulge. It will ultimately be Ron's decision how many he ( plus Gary, Tom and I) wants to interview. My view is simple. The more the better. We need to find the right person for this wonderful role(s) so we should give everyone identified an opportunity to put their vision forward. Ultimately though Ron will decide how many.

Was up until 5am this morning putting a chapter and verse document together about the remaining candidates, all that's missing is what they like for breakfast and how many sugars in their tea. But I'll have that before interview. Ron will then be fully armed with an A class appraisal of each candidate which he will get the benefit of hearing from the 3 guys prior to him being involved. A busy many, yes, but he will have soup to nuts on every candidate.

I'm not divulging criteria other than saying that this wasn't a fantasy list of pie in the sky names, it is a relevant and up to date list targeting what Southend United need to get turned around on the pitch quickly, where players can be developed and given confidence quickly, where a knowledge of the division is a pre requisite and where the integrity of Southend United Football Club is assured. A guarantee to you as promised.

Wish us luck, hard work continues today and really gets started tomorrow and beyond. The 3 of us are all agreed that time is a factor, we want the players to have every last second to work with a new manager with huge League games coming up so we want our man installed, but not to the detriment of a full due diligence process that is a process not another procession. That is my line in the sand. Doing things properly will pay this club back.

All candidates who don't make the cut will get a call from me to thank them for putting themselves forward, a thank you and keeping lines of communication costs nothing, shows integrity and is worthy of the name Southend United.

Integrity
Diligence
Structure

Stan.
Thank you time and effort

Afternoon everyone

Sunday and all day yesterday, Gary Lockett, Tom Lawrence and I ( Ron will attend final interviews) turned a long list into a much shorter one in the hunt for an exciting new Southend United managerial team.

I'd like to thank Gary and Tom for their excellent due diligence, hard work in making sure we looked at every candidate from every possible angle, and their input which continued long into the night.

I suggested dividing the final candidates list between the 3 of us ( plus the club officially where appropriate), contacting them and starting a full day of interviews tomorrow. To that end I've contacted my number of candidates and they are delighted to have made the final cut.

Final number to be interviewed I won't divulge. It will ultimately be Ron's decision how many he ( plus Gary, Tom and I) wants to interview. My view is simple. The more the better. We need to find the right person for this wonderful role(s) so we should give everyone identified an opportunity to put their vision forward. Ultimately though Ron will decide how many.

Was up until 5am this morning putting a chapter and verse document together about the remaining candidates, all that's missing is what they like for breakfast and how many sugars in their tea. But I'll have that before interview. Ron will then be fully armed with an A class appraisal of each candidate which he will get the benefit of hearing from the 3 guys prior to him being involved. A busy many, yes, but he will have soup to nuts on every candidate.

I'm not divulging criteria other than saying that this wasn't a fantasy list of pie in the sky names, it is a relevant and up to date list targeting what Southend United need to get turned around on the pitch quickly, where players can be developed and given confidence quickly, where a knowledge of the division is a pre requisite and where the integrity of Southend United Football Club is assured. A guarantee to you as promised.

Wish us luck, hard work continues today and really gets started tomorrow and beyond. The 3 of us are all agreed that time is a factor, we want the players to have every last second to work with a new manager with huge League games coming up so we want our man installed, but not to the detriment of a full due diligence process that is a process not another procession. That is my line in the sand. Doing things properly will pay this club back.

All candidates who don't make the cut will get a call from me to thank them for putting themselves forward, a thank you and keeping lines of communication costs nothing, shows integrity and is worthy of the name Southend United.

Integrity
Diligence
Structure

Stan.
At last an approach that should be used in any form of recruitment.
You speak a lot of sense in this statement and like myself in my employment integrity is everything

People have to appreciate that within any organisation there has to be some form of honesty and transparency however, at the same time their also has to be some confidentiality and some information has to remain within.

I think if people remain informed of events this in itself will reduce anxiety and will last likely put paid to the rumour mill.

Onwards and upward s

I have to say, there are some good female managers around, why not break the norm.
I think we probably will see a woman manage a professional mens side one day in England (it already happened in France and she was quite successful before the French FA poached her for the women's national side) but I don't think it's a good idea for us to be the ones to do it right now. The club is a shambles and we need someone with a proven track record in this league to steady the ship immediately and there are no female managers that fit that criteria.

All good stuff, well done.

The "what style of football" do you like to play question amuses me. Surely nowones gonna say.

"I like the centre back to clump it up the park and hope someone gets on the end of it. Then sit back for a 1-0"
Yeah, but you know what happens when a new manager comes in and we try and play out from the back, e.g Kevin Bond, Gary Waddock, M.M.
I don't think we can trust the current group of players to do this either yet.

Yeah, but you know what happens when a new manager comes in and we try and play out from the back, e.g Kevin Bond, Gary Waddock, M.M.
I don't think we can trust the current group of players to do this either yet.
Yeah definitely.

One of the things I read about currie was he likes playing out from the back.

Last edited:
Yes, it was PB’s decision.

PB is an experienced manager, been in the game an awful lot time, both as a player, an assistant and a manager, do you really believe he’d be taking orders from a chairman to pick a certain player.

PB doesn’t need the money, he’d have told RM where to stick it.

I’m not sure where that comment come from, but my best guess would have been a either a subtle dig at SC rocking up again (Having appeared to have outlasted him back in the Summer) or at RD’s increasing role at the football club, but I’d side on the SC side on that one.
Just goes to show what a complete **** brown is tho don’t it hung sim out to dry then goes and calls him up!!!

Just goes to show what a complete **** brown is tho don’t it hung sim out to dry then goes and calls him up!!!

It happens at all levels of football, not just in the professional game.

Let’s be honest, as fans we do similar. We are slating the side at the moment, saying this playing isn’t good enough, he isn’t fit to wear the shirt etc. If the new manager comes in, and we got promoted this season, the same fans would be saying the same players are the best thing since slice bread and are legends.

A manager doesn’t have to rate players already at the Club. A manager can change their mind on who they rate and dont. Someone they rate and is flavour of the month could be dropped altogether and someone who is knowhere near the first team can be called into action.

Different circumstances obviously, but Sturrock did it with Moshni. Tilson has previously done it, as have many others.

It happens at all levels of football, not just in the professional game.

Let’s be honest, as fans we do similar. We are slating the side at the moment, saying this playing isn’t good enough, he isn’t fit to wear the shirt etc. If the new manager comes in, and we got promoted this season, the same fans would be saying the same players are the best thing since slice bread and are legends.

A manager doesn’t have to rate players already at the Club. A manager can change their mind on who they rate and dont. Someone they rate and is flavour of the month could be dropped altogether and someone who is knowhere near the first team can be called into action.

Different circumstances obviously, but Sturrock did it with Moshni. Tilson has previously done it, as have many others.
BY2, I am sure you are absolutely right. That sort of unprofessional, arbitrary judgements about certain players by managers is probably rife, particularly at unsuccessful clubs. But managers at successful professional clubs are expected to make their judgements about players on the basis of evidence rather than whether they are the manager's "cup of tea" or a good mate.

Latest Update: Dagenham Kev has made the shortlist after his latest impressive showing of rollicking a winning team in training labelling them all drug dealers from Pitsea. 'The panel' are going to be holding X factor style finale at Benfleet Towers. Some of the other candidates are finding the outfits the cleaners are forced to wear a little disturbing. Tom is busy handing out canopies.

Afternoon everyone

Integrity
Diligence
Structure

Stan.
Thank you Stan and good luck ?

BY2, I am sure you are absolutely right. That sort of unprofessional, arbitrary judgements about certain players by managers is probably rife, particularly at unsuccessful clubs. But managers at successful professional clubs are expected to make their judgements about players on the basis of evidence rather than whether they are the manager's "cup of tea" or a good mate.

PB made his judgement on Akinola on evidence.

The whole “cup of tea” thing was a throw away comment. He never said anything derogatory about Akinola, he simply didn’t rate him which any manager is allowed to do.

Maybe Akinola plays a starring role under a new manager and makes PB’s decision a bad one, or maybe a new manager comes in and comes to the same conclusion PB did. Time will tell.

Look at Mourinho, he has KDB, Salah and Lukaku all under his guidance at Chelsea, he didn’t rate them and they weren’t “his cup of tea” and they’ve been outstanding since. Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, Steve Tilson, Dave Webb and any manager you can think of has wrote off players that have done well elsewhere and they’ve all made success of players other managers didn’t rate. Happens at the top level all the way down to Sunday league.

RD has, effectively, been DoF since the Powell days. He has been doing this role, or what you would consider a DoF role to look like in everything but name. PB was the one who mentioned

I know some people, yourself included, think RD hasn’t been given time to implement a style of play, a DNA etc and was given a “dinosaur manager” in PB but that isn’t true. RD was one of the people behind PB coming back to the football club, not just RM.

He has been under performing in his role since he wasn’t just head of academy. He has been involved in the first team since Powell, so including with Bond, Waddock, MM and Brown. He has been a constant factor in the first team, and been overlooked when we’ve had backroom clear outs for a while.

Also, with the mounting pressure from SC saying that the four (Brown, Fagan, Duncan and Robinson) all need to be sacked, Duncan and Robinson (At present) can consider themselves lucky to still be here, although I suspect if SC is given a formal role at the Club, it’ll be bye bye Robinson.
Thanks, BW2, for this useful information. I suspected that RD played a role in the sacking of MM and the hiring of PB as his replacement. I was struck by RD's immediate praise for PB's impact on the team when he took over for the last 6 games.

If, as I suspect, a decent managerial appointment will be made, the pressure for SC having a bigger role in the club will surely increase.

Back