• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Dagenham & Redbridge 3-0 Southend United

Can we please get over all the hype and unrealistic over expectation with the Stan Collymore situation and focus on the reallity. The threat of a third successive relegation is vety real and it is quite clear the current squad is not good enough to survive in this league. Despite all the blather about being able to choose a new management team from the very best available nationwide, blah blah blah, we have ended up with a predictable choice, all three of whom were in the frame from previous managerial vacancies. Apart from the job titles, this could have been the outcome when Bond was sacked. It's going to take a miracle now and the extent of the task is only underlined by the inordinate, disproportionate faith invested in an ex player turned pundit with no track record as a manager, coach or any other position. I wish the new coaching team well but they need to be able to get on with the job without unnecessary distractions, identify suitable transfer targets and do their best to try to eke out a survival strategy, forgetting about grandiose structural pretensions, a new stadium and the rest of it.
Not helpful.

Trouble is we go 1 nil down and a comeback is never on. It's been like that for over three years now. Apart from against Chertsey!
It's been like that for 10yrs more like. Such has the mindset of this club been. "Why run ourselves into the ground for what? We will lose anyway.." Thats the only thing in player's minds i have seen, for a long time. But why bust a gut, for a manager that will bollock you regardless, fans that will abuse you at home ground, people that dont care around the club.
Stan talks of integrity, you can see why.
Good to hold Daggers to nil nil at half time, thats a feat right there, theyre a tidy team. No suprise to let in 3. As is often said on here, keep playing the same players with the same stragies and expect the same results.
Very excited to read this morning that Stan could well be signed up this week, i think its our best signing in 10yrs and he's not even playing. Up the Blues.

Oh Dear Stan,

You will probably not be aware of this but mentioning "Mark Bentley has been a teacher in recent years" was not a good idea, and may over excite a fair portion of the fanbase who are not keen on managers/coaches having been teachers. P.E. teachers in particular. I know, I know, I don't understand either, but that's the way it is.

Oh Dear Stan,

You will probably not be aware of this but mentioning "Mark Bentley has been a teacher in recent years" was not a good idea, and may over excite a fair portion of the fanbase who are not keen on managers/coaches having been teachers. P.E. teachers in particular. I know, I know, I don't understand either, but that's the way it is.
By some of the posts on here I expect some posters didn't like teachers to the point of not going to school and learning manners or grammar.

What a load of plonkers we have on Shrimperzone! Same comments and nasty remarks as last few seasons. At the end of last season nearly everybody thought it was a good move to bring Brown back. At the beginning of this season they thought he had done well with the team recruitment and should finish around mid-table. Then when he went and with the new management in place they were over the moon and wetting themselves with excitement. Only one game later 10 pages of crap, rubbish, stupid remarks and a load of pessimism. Get a grip, it's not going easy or quick, get used to it and unless you've got something different, interesting or new, please keep it to

You couldn't even type 'Shrimper' successfully when signing up. Maybe look at yourself first.
U obviously like to loose every week!!

Steve

This not only is proven not to work to motivate with this modern generation of young people, it actively destroys them.

I was an apprentice in 1987. Coaching was "break you to make you" and much of the training was based on National Service ( football and armed forces training/motivation ran parallel for several generations post war).

Bullied, barracked, the "prove us wrong" mentality that you outlined above. It worked then for some but even then it forced out many from the game. Me nearly too.

Today, there is no war, young people are motivated by many different factors, and conversations with many coaches ( and perplexed old school managers) comes up with the same answer.

If you use "break the to make them", you'll just break them. Completely counter productive

I spoke to Brendan Rodgers, an excellent youth coach before becoming a manager.

How do you treat modern players? Youngsters?

"Carrot only, Stan, never stick. You just can't do that with this generation because their reality is very different from ours 30 years ago and way before that "

Listen to Kev's comments yesterday post match. Basically saying "We're not going to add even more bollockings because that will drive them further down ".

In my opinion, Phil Brown, in his old school "show me your character" spiel, lapped up by many on here let's not forget, pushed many players to the point of no return.

Football fans and fans on forums tend to be of the older demographic.

Bottle
Character
Determination
Show them
Graft
Desire

All noble qualities that my Grandad had when in the trenches in Ypres and Somme. Likewise many of you reading this who had to work from nothing to get something in life because 30,40, 50 years ago life was tougher. Much tougher.

Today, whether you like it or not, a daily bollocking,taking players for 10 mile runs as punishment and calling out their character doesn't work to motivate young footballers. It just doesn't.

So if it doesn't, logic simply dictates, why do it?

One of the reasons we brought the 3 guys in was because we asked all of them how they'd manage modern players. Their answers proved that they have an approach that will bring players on board, not demolish them even more.

Mark Bentley has been a teacher in recent years alongside his cracking job at Canvey. He worked with 16-18 year olds, got into the heads of youngsters on pennies at Canvey so for me was absolutely crucial in working our dressing room.

3 weeks ago? Running on pavement around Southend because the bollockings weren't hitting home, so we'll bollock you more until you do.

It doesn't work anymore.
Ok Stan I get u! But these group of players aren't good enough! They've had game after game chance after chance and there ability to play football just isn't there! We need u to come on bored ASAP.

Just seen the highlights. Nice of Ling to incite our fans after the third goal.
Not sure why the ****house felt the need to do that. Don’t think he was subject to any grief from our lot prior. But I love that sort of stuff to be honest, gave me an opportunity to vent some anger anyway. Still a massive prick though and I’m sure he will be no.1 target now for W block etc in the return fixture.

Last edited:
Just seen the highlights. Nice of Ling to incite our fans after the third goal.
I thought it was the number 2 Reynolds who did that but I've not seen the highlights. He gave a bit of lemon after the 2nd goal too but in the team celebrations rather than overtly on his own.

I thought it was the number 2 Reynolds who did that but I've not seen the highlights. He gave a bit of lemon after the 2nd goal too but in the team celebrations rather than overtly on his own.
It was number 2 Reynolds, really could have made a volatile crowd go over the edge. I am not too far from 60 and made me want to run on and knock his block off. Completely unnecessary game was won. He had not got any stick and was not a last minute winner in a cup final.

Last edited:
I did think there were good sign's in the first half.
But and it is a big But.
We dont have any wing backs.
All season we have been done by a ball, being played into space at the back on the wings.
It happened all game, again yesterday.
Egbri, i personally dont get was our best player yesterday.
Ferguson in the first half was our stand out player, Jack Bridge jut behind, him.
We really need to have a couple of wing back's who can track back, and defend.
Until we do that we wont turn any corner.
You cant play three at the back and not have wing back's supporting them.

I’m assuming that when we have some of our defenders back fully fit we won’t be seeing a back 3. I believe JD had a hand in picking the team yesterday due to the management not having enough time to analyse the squad. Both White and Hobson were rushed back and Sayers also wasn’t fit to start. Losing Ralph was a big blow. Hopefully Arnold will at least be back next week and Ralph has trained so might also be available. Certainly a back 4 would help and 4 in midfield. Would like Walsh and Bridge outside. Dalby and Murphy were getting stick yesterday but they are feeding off scraps. in fact I think Dalby created two of our better chances in the first half as well as just missing with a header. Philips also deserves a run in the side, at least he tried to move the ball forward when he came on. But at least KM has a full week to work with them. Next week on paper is a much tougher game than yesterday, yes the mighty Boreham Wood! I’m not going expecting to see a win but do expect to see a better performance for sure

It was number 2 Reynolds, really could have made a volatile crowd go over the edge. I am not too far from 60 and made me want to run on and knock his block off. Completely unnecessary game was won. He had not got any stick and was not a last minute winner in a cup final.
Just seen it on a vid, I hope he was booked for inciting the crowd. He looked a complete prick and hope he plays at roots hall.

Back