• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane 50 Years ago Today- 1971-72 Promotion Season - Wednesday 3 May 1972 - We finish as runners up! - Southend United 2 Gillingham 2

1 David Webb 2, Alan Kelly , 3 Mike Treblecock2 and Dereck Temple , 4 Burnley , 5 Tottenham ,Leeds , Leicster , Newcastle , Sheff Weds , Sunderland . The new managment team have turned it all round .

Exeter's full backs in the 3-0 defeat at Roots Hall in 1971-72 were Steve Stacey & Jimmy Blain, however moving forward to October 23rd. 1976 when Exeter City were beaten this time by 2-0 at Roots Hall the two full backs were in fact Allan Hooker & John Hore. with just 4,605 in attendance.
Thanks so much for that. Those names tickled me (not literally) at the time. Every time I look at official attendances from that period I think mmmm. There always seemed to be many more at the ground. All cash back then remember.

1 David Webb 2, Alan Kelly , 3 Mike Treblecock2 and Dereck Temple , 4 Burnley , 5 Tottenham ,Leeds , Leicster , Newcastle , Sheff Weds , Sunderland . The new managment team have turned it all round .
Q 5) last 3 answers : once,once and not even once.
Chelsea,Everton,Liverpool.

Fifty years ago this week, the Evening Echo were offering three pairs of seats to the first three readers who supplied the most correct answers to the questions below. How well would you do? No internet cheating allowed!

1) Who scored Chelsea's winning goal in their 1970 Final Replay and against whom?
2) Name Preston's goalkeeper (still on their books) against West Ham in the 1964 Final.
3) Which players scored the three goals that gave Everton victory in the 1966 Final after they had trailed 2-0?
4) Who fielded this forward line in the 1962 Final and against whom: Connelly, McIlroy, Painter, Robson, Harris?
5) Which six clubs have appeared in two Finals since 1961-62?
And the answers:
1) David Webb v Leeds
2) Alan Kelly
3) Trebilcock (2), Temple
4) Burnley v Spurs
5) Spurs, Leicester, Liverpool, Leeds, Chelsea, Everton

The winners of the tickets were:
Congratulations to P. Rhodes (Shoeburyness), S.Roberts (Hadleigh) and T.Castles (Laindon).

Q 5) last 3 answers : once,once and not even once.
Chelsea,Everton,Liverpool.
Q5) actually last three answers were not even once, once, not even once.
Newcastle didn't make it to an FA Cup final between 1961 and 1972. It was 2 years later when they lost 3-0 to Liverpool in that year's final.

50 years ago tonight..it was like Bonfire night and Easter together..i was really looking foreward to tomorrows game....COYBB.
Before the game starts..were Villa top of Div three this game??I always wrongly !! thought that both games v Villa and B&BAFC we were top(div four),then three weeks later B&BAFC had taken Villas place as top of there league??(Div3)
PS...as a 15 year old,i will be also meeting up at Dixons tomorrow

Saturday November 20, 1971 - FA Cup (R1)
Southend Utd (1) 1 (Best 34')
Aston Villa (0) 0
Venue:
Roots Hall KO: 3.00
Attendance: 16,929

Southend Utd: J Roberts, R Ternent, A Smith, D Elliott, B Albeson, J Jacques, T Johnson, B Best, B Garner, G Moore, B Lewis. Sub: P Taylor.
Aston Villa: T Hughes, K Bradley, C Aitken, G Vowden, G Curtis, F Turnbull, R Graydon, D Gibson (B Tiler 45'), A Lochhead, I Hamilton, W Anderson.

Match Report
Let ‘em all come. This must be the feeling of Southend United and their fans after this tremendous performance in the first round of the F.A. Cup at Roots Hall on Saturday.

The big name, the higher status and the cup-fighting reputation of the Villa meant absolutely nothing to the boys in blue as they powered their way a step nearer Wembley.

And while Wembley may seem a long way off at this stage, I am sure that the 16,929 fans who crammed the stands and terraces would vouch that this was the sort of conflict which would have graced any stadium.

The only two points of ridicule about the tie were that the attendance was around 5.000 below what was anticipated and the score-line in no way reflected United’s superiority.

Whatever it is that one lights to give extra propulsion to a player’s performance must have had a match applied before United left the dressing room. I’ve heard, and even given, advice about the benefit of a stick of dynamite in the right place at the right time but after this display I have now come to the conclusion that I am old-fashioned. No stick of dynamite could have had this effect!

Not only did United start off as though they were jet-propelled, the blast-off continued to gather power throughout the whole of the first-half. Although this was the period they attained their greatest heights, they never faltered below the levelling-off stage. Even when Villa hit back in the second half when they saw their cup-ground disappearing from under them.

Villa could have had no complaints if United had been three goals up at half-time. Bill Garner headed over a Terry Johnson cross and Gary Moore hit a long shot past the post before the Villa goal survived on what must have been a wing and a prayer.

A Johnson corner bobbed around the Villa goal and one shot hit goalkeeper Tommy Hughes and other two crashed against defenders before the ball was finally cleared. Then another Garner header from Johnson skimmed the crossbar, Hughes did well to save from Johnson and Moore. two inches short to reach a Billy Best centre, could only palm the ball into the net.

But the inevitable United goal came after 34 minutes; A free-kick was lobbed high to the Villa six-yard box, Hughes went to gather with one eye on the rushing Garner and as Garner finished up in the back of the, net, Hughes failed to gather properly and Best was following up to head the ball home.

Villa must have been thankful to hear the half-time whistle. Their only threat in the first 45 minutes had been an early breakthrough by former Blues favourite, Chico Hamilton which John Roberts turned for a corner and a piledriver from Andy Lochhead which whistled over the bar.

The visitors introduced Brian Tyler for David Gibson in the second-half and showed much more resolution than they had in the first. But apart from another early Hamilton dash they never looked like breaking down a United defence which was in peak form.

But this was a team effort from start to finish, from an immovable back four, through a hard-grafting middle pair right up to a mercurial front four. The build-ups, ideas and methods were far superior to Villa’s and once again the value of playing two natural wingers was proved.

It was medals all round as far as I was concerned and I hope I am not being invidious if I select one or two players who probably deserved bars to them. Skipper Joe Jacques and Brian Albeson gave a combined duo centre-back display which killed off all the threats of Hamilton and Andy Lochhead through the middle. Dave Elliott did a lot of thinking as well as working in mid-field while Garner shouldered lot of the responsibility up front.

On second thoughts I’ll give all of them bars to their medals, because Roberts was never out of touch in goal, Ray Ternent and Alex Smith killed off most of the threats along the touchlines, Moore got through as much work as anybody. Bernie Lewis and Johnson carved most of the openings around the flanks and Best, who did enough by scoring the vital goal, also showed he is fast returning to peak form.

And one last medal - to Great Yarmouth referee, Norman Burtenshaw. So often the centre of controversial decisions last season, once he had shown who was in charge in the first 10 minutes you would have hardly known he was on the field - the whole art of being a good referee. Mind you. United fans could have been forgiven for thinking he had gone home early as the second half dragged, yes dragged, as nerves tingled into five minutes injury time.

1637368405939.png
1637368417223.png

Ah my first real memory of watching Southend, albeit i only recall the flared trousers pitch invasion.
All of those players still alive in our team that day are in SUEPA and i did send a note around asking for recollections of it but none really could recall much detail. Time marches on and memories fade.
A cup win though eh? Wonderful.

What more could you want -a home draw against the biggest club in the bottom two divisions -Aston Villa - who had dropped into Division 3 at the end of the 69/70 season and had finished 4th in their first attempt to get back up. When they came to Southend they were in 4th position, 4 points behind leaders Bournemouth.

They didn't have their star man Bruce Rioch available to play in the cup tie, but still had our very own Chico Hamilton, Andy Lochhead, Willie Anderson, Geoff Vowden, Charlie Aitken and George Curtis who had had great careers playing higher level football They had also signed Ray Graydon from Bristol Rovers so still had a very strong team out that day.

We were un changed yet again and as the match report says we played out of our skins and should have won by a much greater margin that 1-0.

Villa took the defeat seriously - 3 of their side, goalkeeper Tommy Hughes., Dave Gibson and Keith Bradley never played for them again. After they got beaten by us they only lost 3 more games, finishing the season as 3rd Division Champions on 70 points, with their home game against Bournemouth attracting 48,110 spectators to Villa Park.

The crowd of 16,929 was at the time the 6th largest at Roots Hall and the highest since 1957 - despite Alf Smirk being disappointed by it !

So our reward in Monday's draw - away to 3rd Division leaders Bournemouth who had beaten non League Margate, who included our very own Eddie Clayton and John Baber, by the margin of 11-0 with Ted McDougall scoring just the 9.

My highlight of this game was the Villa fan pitch invasion and the Pak responding by charging onto the pitch. The police forming a line accross the half way line stopped any confrontation. As I ran back off the pitch I jumped over the brick wall and ran up the terrace to stand to the right of the uncovered North Bank. A rested on one of the barriers only to find one of my school teachers resting on it too. Good afternoon Sir ! hoping he had not seen me run off the pitch I smiled and made my way to the main North Bank

Saturday November 20, 1971 - FA Cup (R1)
Southend Utd (1) 1 (Best 34')
Aston Villa (0) 0
Venue:
Roots Hall KO: 3.00
Attendance: 16,929

Southend Utd: J Roberts, R Ternent, A Smith, D Elliott, B Albeson, J Jacques, T Johnson, B Best, B Garner, G Moore, B Lewis. Sub: P Taylor.
Aston Villa: T Hughes, K Bradley, C Aitken, G Vowden, G Curtis, F Turnbull, R Graydon, D Gibson (B Tiler 45'), A Lochhead, I Hamilton, W Anderson.

Match Report
Let ‘em all come. This must be the feeling of Southend United and their fans after this tremendous performance in the first round of the F.A. Cup at Roots Hall on Saturday.

The big name, the higher status and the cup-fighting reputation of the Villa meant absolutely nothing to the boys in blue as they powered their way a step nearer Wembley.

And while Wembley may seem a long way off at this stage, I am sure that the 16,929 fans who crammed the stands and terraces would vouch that this was the sort of conflict which would have graced any stadium.

The only two points of ridicule about the tie were that the attendance was around 5.000 below what was anticipated and the score-line in no way reflected United’s superiority.

Whatever it is that one lights to give extra propulsion to a player’s performance must have had a match applied before United left the dressing room. I’ve heard, and even given, advice about the benefit of a stick of dynamite in the right place at the right time but after this display I have now come to the conclusion that I am old-fashioned. No stick of dynamite could have had this effect!

Not only did United start off as though they were jet-propelled, the blast-off continued to gather power throughout the whole of the first-half. Although this was the period they attained their greatest heights, they never faltered below the levelling-off stage. Even when Villa hit back in the second half when they saw their cup-ground disappearing from under them.

Villa could have had no complaints if United had been three goals up at half-time. Bill Garner headed over a Terry Johnson cross and Gary Moore hit a long shot past the post before the Villa goal survived on what must have been a wing and a prayer.

A Johnson corner bobbed around the Villa goal and one shot hit goalkeeper Tommy Hughes and other two crashed against defenders before the ball was finally cleared. Then another Garner header from Johnson skimmed the crossbar, Hughes did well to save from Johnson and Moore. two inches short to reach a Billy Best centre, could only palm the ball into the net.

But the inevitable United goal came after 34 minutes; A free-kick was lobbed high to the Villa six-yard box, Hughes went to gather with one eye on the rushing Garner and as Garner finished up in the back of the, net, Hughes failed to gather properly and Best was following up to head the ball home.

Villa must have been thankful to hear the half-time whistle. Their only threat in the first 45 minutes had been an early breakthrough by former Blues favourite, Chico Hamilton which John Roberts turned for a corner and a piledriver from Andy Lochhead which whistled over the bar.

The visitors introduced Brian Tyler for David Gibson in the second-half and showed much more resolution than they had in the first. But apart from another early Hamilton dash they never looked like breaking down a United defence which was in peak form.

But this was a team effort from start to finish, from an immovable back four, through a hard-grafting middle pair right up to a mercurial front four. The build-ups, ideas and methods were far superior to Villa’s and once again the value of playing two natural wingers was proved.

It was medals all round as far as I was concerned and I hope I am not being invidious if I select one or two players who probably deserved bars to them. Skipper Joe Jacques and Brian Albeson gave a combined duo centre-back display which killed off all the threats of Hamilton and Andy Lochhead through the middle. Dave Elliott did a lot of thinking as well as working in mid-field while Garner shouldered lot of the responsibility up front.

On second thoughts I’ll give all of them bars to their medals, because Roberts was never out of touch in goal, Ray Ternent and Alex Smith killed off most of the threats along the touchlines, Moore got through as much work as anybody. Bernie Lewis and Johnson carved most of the openings around the flanks and Best, who did enough by scoring the vital goal, also showed he is fast returning to peak form.

And one last medal - to Great Yarmouth referee, Norman Burtenshaw. So often the centre of controversial decisions last season, once he had shown who was in charge in the first 10 minutes you would have hardly known he was on the field - the whole art of being a good referee. Mind you. United fans could have been forgiven for thinking he had gone home early as the second half dragged, yes dragged, as nerves tingled into five minutes injury time.

View attachment 17681
View attachment 17682

Would love it if I could get a copy of this report, either original or reproduction. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it

I don't know whether it is still the case, but back in the day you could contact Southend Public Library where they kept backdated copies of the Southend Standard newspaper on microfiche. I understand from my sources that despite advances in technology, some institutions still use microfiche, so you might want to try that.

Would love it if I could get a copy of this report, either original or reproduction. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it
Hi Andy, I have some match reports from this match from various newspapers, some bigger than others and will gladly send you some copies. Just PM with your address and I will forward them on.

Hi Andy, I have some match reports from this match from various newspapers, some bigger than others and will gladly send you some copies. Just PM with your address and I will forward them on.
Do you have the standard the week after Southend played Bournmouth in the FA Cup Dec 71 , when there was a letter from a Bournmouth supporter saying that Southend United supporters were the worst ever supporters to go to Dean Court .

Do you have the standard the week after Southend played Bournmouth in the FA Cup Dec 71 , when there was a letter from a Bournmouth supporter saying that Southend United supporters were the worst ever supporters to go to Dean Court .
Sadly not , but maybe someone reading this thread will be able to help??

I am on social media as Astonvillaandy if you can contact me through their portal, I very much appreciate your kind offer for copies of the above game
Andy

Back