• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully appreciate that stability will take time but time is very much against us. Under the new regime we have played four league games and lost three of them. In the three defeats we failed to score a goal. As yet I am finding the claims of progress difficult to understand.

I too believe a few new players could change things around but apparently it's easier to bring in three new coaches and Stan than it is to put some extra players into the squad. I hope the majority view is right and we have made stellar changes but I will reserve judgment until I actually see the benefit.

Remember a few days before Brown was sacked, he was rekindling the idea of bringing Ricky Holmes back (again). The priority, quite rightly imho, was change the mgmt, and then address the playing squad

Ok. Genuine questions.
1. Is there actually a figure available to boost playing staff?
2. How long will the process take in bringing in new blood?
3. Are we going to carry the 'expendable' players or pay them off (camp morale related question)?
4. Is their a disciplinary issue as of late reds and pointless yellows are accumulating? Particularly from seasoned players who should know better.

1) Yes.
2) Check my last post…
3) It’s not as simple as ripping up contracts for players the coaching set up don’t like. If that was the case Akinola wouldn’t have been here under PB.
4) No.

I
I couldn’t disagree more.

I’m a huge advocate for playing hard but fair. Just put together a side that can play these type of teams off the park and don’t resort to their snide tactics.
It doesn't matter how well you play, if a player goes down holding his head the ref will always stop the game. Its a canny ploy to break up an attack and Woking did just that

Supporters will have to accept that no-one can wave a magic wand overnight, you can't arrest 3+ years of massive decline over a period of a few weeks or even months. The club is now far more professionally run with people in the right positions - positions that can only benefit us long-term. Hopefully with new recruitment we can pull ourselves away from danger and consolidate. Fans can at least look forward to a brighter future with the changes that have been implemented up until now and those that are also on the way but it'll take time. Patience is needed. Personally I think we'll stay up but not with this squad of players, it's good to hear that new signings are on the way sometime soon.
My apologies, I didn't realise we're only allowed to waive our wands during the day. I'll let Harry, Ron and Hermione know too.

Not sure what you mean by Number 3 with "camp morale", I've not heard of any troublemakers in the squad, just because we're just not good enough with what we currently have doesn't mean the players aren't trying their best.
When you are playing football in a team where a number of the players are not good enough or fit enough it is totally demoralising. Get rid of the dead wood ASAP!

I

It doesn't matter how well you play, if a player goes down holding his head the ref will always stop the game. Its a canny ploy to break up an attack and Woking did just that
Woking seemed fine to me. Canny ploy - no sour grapes!
Snide tactics ?
Are these really the only excuses we can come up with?
We need to look at our own team and accept they are just not good enough

Woking seemed fine to me. Canny ploy - no sour grapes!
Snide tactics ?
Are these really the only excuses we can come up with?
We need to look at our own team and accept they are just not good enough
I'm not denying we aren't very good. They was a lot of going down very easy by the Woking players that the ref lapped up. What he didn't lap up was Dalby having his shirt nearly pulled off his back every time he went up for a header. We need to get wiser and play the ref. It doesn't matter how good you are or dominate, if the ref is going to buy into pathetic falling over we won't get anywhere unless we get with the programme

It seems to me the new management team were very quick to bring in Brunt and Lopata who are by consensus decent signing. They may have spent 2-3 weeks having a close look at the current squad but of course in the background potential recruitments have been looked at. If this wasn't the case then there wouldn't be the possibility of further activity this week.

Our complete lack of patience is in a way understandable given the ride we have had. On the other a little unfair on the new team who can only effect change from when they are in place. So yes they need to be given some time to turn things around.

I fully appreciate that stability will take time but time is very much against us. Under the new regime we have played four league games and lost three of them. In the three defeats we failed to score a goal. As yet I am finding the claims of progress difficult to understand.

I too believe a few new players could change things around but apparently it's easier to bring in three new coaches and Stan than it is to put some extra players into the squad. I hope the majority view is right and we have made stellar changes but I will reserve judgment until I actually see the benefit.
It’s not about simply bringing players in though, it’s about bringing the RIGHT players in. We have no transfer window restrictions and 90pts still to play for with 30 games to go - there’s plenty of time to get out of trouble. I’m confident we will. This is a very different situation to last year when we rolled the dice far too late.

Remember a few days before Brown was sacked, he was rekindling the idea of bringing Ricky Holmes back (again). The priority, quite rightly imho, was change the mgmt, and then address the playing squad
I seemed to think the priority at the time was to grt rid of Ron? Remember the banner!!

It’s not about simply bringing players in though, it’s about bringing the RIGHT players in. We have no transfer window restrictions and 90pts still to play for with 30 games to go - there’s plenty of time to get out of trouble. I’m confident we will. This is a very different situation to last year when we rolled the dice far too late.
Also worth pointing out that at this stage in the last two seasons we were already well adrift.

It's because he like many Shrimpers fans are traditional "die hard" fans who will support the team whatever........
He and the many others have my total admiration and respect UTB
Either that or he has too much time on his hands lol must be mad going all that way too watch the worst southend United team in history!

Either that or he has too much time on his hands lol must be mad going all that way too watch the worst southend United team in history!
Do you honestly believe that this team is any worse than the last two seasons? I'm pretty sure you will say yes which prompts me to think that you may be a lot happier following another local club. Maybe the two on Canvey?

When you are playing football in a team where a number of the players are not good enough or fit enough it is totally demoralising. Get rid of the dead wood ASAP!
Every team in the country has reserves that aren't good enough for the first team, Chelsea had Rob Green on their books 3 years ago for example. If you fill the reserves with players as good as the first team they'll soon be demanding to play else they'll hand in a transfer request. As Paul Clark said these players aren't bad, they're just limited. As backup players they're fine because if only one or two of them are playing then we can slot them in somewhere where their weaknesses aren't apparent. It's the fact we're playing all of them at once that's the problem because we can't cover all their weaknesses (especially the lack of pace).

Do you honestly believe that this team is any worse than the last two seasons? I'm pretty sure you will say yes which prompts me to think that you may be a lot happier following another local club. Maybe the two on Canvey?
I was at Swansea away when we achieved promotion to the championship! Anyway I agree that this team is just as bad as the last two.I just want new players asap.

I agreed as I played for an non league team in the past, when I was surrounded with players that are not fit & not good enough, it’s can be demoralising. That what happen with SUFC right now, I bet the like of Hobson, Ralph, Murphy, Bridge, Brunt & Dalby want the rubbish to be cleared off and get better players in alongside them!

Those who were at the Trust AGM and Q&A last night will have heard Kev Maher talking alongside Darren Currie and Mark Bentley about recruitment, how they're watching lots of games and spreading the network wide in trying to locate some gems for us. They have a clear vision of the types of players they're looking for and the type of football they want us to be playing. He asked supporters to "stick with them" and was confident things can be turned round, but they won't be immediate.

Kev, Benno, Currie & Tom.jpg

And a snippet from Chris from last night:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back