• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not disagree, although I am not as sold on Dalby as much as sone seen to be, Murphy whilst he has 7 need as to focus more on the game than the ref.

As for Rush sadly I do not think he will step up, which is a real shame. Dennis could be an option through the middle but it is hard to see of he is any good as he hasnt played much at all. At least with rush we have seen him in more games over the last few years
Dalby and Rush both young. Personally I like the look of them both but maybe they are not ready to play each game.

What makes you reply in such a sure and certain way?

Because I know.

The only deal that expires in January is Atkinson’s. Everyone else is contracted beyond January, so we can’t release them.

We’d have to pay them off in full, or agree with them on a settlement figure. We tried with Akinola, and never agreed a fee.

The players aren’t going through the motions either.

I can (in a public forum) have the right of reply.

And I'm more than within my rights to be an equal on this forum and asked to not be mocked or trolled by others on this forum who in all cases are in posession of 1% of the facts.

I promised to bring A class contacts to the club. Everyone in the club and those who will come into the club knows who these contacts are, what they've offered Southend United, when and why.

So just because people outside those facts don't know what I've tangibly brought already regarding recruitment doesn't mean they have any right to simply take to this forum and without any evidence say "He's not doing what he said he could". Especially when I have and those contacts are higher in quality and substance than I'm guaranteeing this club have ever had. What part of that are people missing here?

There's a minority seemingly who have a long held view on this forum that anyone who comes in is either useless, feckless, reckless or inept.

I'm none. Not by a long chalk. So I'd get used to me responding to people who can't back up disrespectful nonesense, because that's my right of reply in open forum.

Some of the posts on this board are frankly toxic, offer nothing by way of insight or solutions, just mock, chide and offer yet more woefully thought out solutions that got this club in the mess it's in in the first place.

I'm here because I want to be. I do not need to be. I bring what I said I would and some.

But if enough people on here or at games want me gone, don't worry, they'll get their wish because I'm dammed if I'm having my contacts, relationships and hard work to build bridges with clubs who told me I was crazy to try derided by people who are supposed to be supporting the same aim.

When all of you reading this are armed with the facts and the full picture, then judge as you wish, I've been used to criticism, fair and unfair for 30 years.

But from "your own"? Based on a healthy dollop of disrespect based or a hunch? Is that really where some of you are at? So weathered by the last 3 years that hammering people who simply are who they say they are is some kind of sport on a forum? Shame on you that do. That's not support, that's disrespect, disdain and wanting your cake and eating it. Some of the posts on this forum, a great forum generally , are an utter disgrace and some on here should be ashamed of themselves for putting their name to half baked gossip, conspiracy theories and in some cases borderline if not outright libel.

I'm afraid it won't go unchallenged, as even on here a whisper ends up poisoning the well even more than is.

"Could be bollocks" is basically calling me a liar, inferring the contacts aren't there or have been exaggerated when if I took any of you to my meetings in the last two weeks you'd be doing cartwheels down the road.

My advice? Honestly? Support good people who've come to help and who are.
Hey Stan. There's a small bunch of trolls on here who can't be reasoned with because they're only interested in being controversial, creating conflict and winding people up. They're highly vocal - they apparently have nothing else to do - but they don't reflect the view of genuine, long-term supporters of the club. Please ignore them - you can even put them on ignore (that's what many people on here do). They're not worthy of your time and, as you say, they know less than 1% of what you know about these particular matters but also about football in general.

Do us all a favour SC. Go and support some other team. Don’t bother replying you are on ignore.
I bet when he was a kid he used to stick his fingers in his ears & go la la la la ?
We all want this to work & see us pull away. Surely as fans we're allowed to post any doubts or questions on here.

Zak Brunt is a welcome addition but his set pieces last night (and last match) were not as good as his first game

ZB is a very welcome and much needed addition to the squad. He has many positive attributes, but set pieces and dead ball delivery are not his strength. We’d be better off having him positioned at attacking free kicks to pick up the second ball or clearance. With his skills level, I would expect pacey attacking balls in to the box, not the floaty aimless delivery that has been the norm. Perhaps this is what he is being asked to do; if so, I’d like to know why, as it’s so easy to defend.

The management has said quite clearly that it is going to take some time to turn things around. Not sure why this is not being understood?
"I know my role and my vision for Southend is clear.
“It falls in line with Kev, Mark Bentley, Darren Currie and Tom.
“Constant conversations will be along the lines of what can we do to move this big club forward quickly?
“I’ll be looking to give Kev, Benno and Darren the biggest basket of good stuff so they can then say no to him or yes to him".
Notice that word 'quickly'?

And again last season we didnt have pace at the back or in midfield That i can remember. Pace has killed us for seasons others have it and we dont.
Can’t disagree with that. We’re being turned over for pace and athleticism week in week out. A few in the mix who can match the opposition would make a massive difference. Other teams target our weaknesses.

I can (in a public forum) have the right of reply.

And I'm more than within my rights to be an equal on this forum and asked to not be mocked or trolled by others on this forum who in all cases are in posession of 1% of the facts.

I promised to bring A class contacts to the club. Everyone in the club and those who will come into the club knows who these contacts are, what they've offered Southend United, when and why.

So just because people outside those facts don't know what I've tangibly brought already regarding recruitment doesn't mean they have any right to simply take to this forum and without any evidence say "He's not doing what he said he could". Especially when I have and those contacts are higher in quality and substance than I'm guaranteeing this club have ever had. What part of that are people missing here?

There's a minority seemingly who have a long held view on this forum that anyone who comes in is either useless, feckless, reckless or inept.

I'm none. Not by a long chalk. So I'd get used to me responding to people who can't back up disrespectful nonesense, because that's my right of reply in open forum.

Some of the posts on this board are frankly toxic, offer nothing by way of insight or solutions, just mock, chide and offer yet more woefully thought out solutions that got this club in the mess it's in in the first place.

I'm here because I want to be. I do not need to be. I bring what I said I would and some.

But if enough people on here or at games want me gone, don't worry, they'll get their wish because I'm dammed if I'm having my contacts, relationships and hard work to build bridges with clubs who told me I was crazy to try derided by people who are supposed to be supporting the same aim.

When all of you reading this are armed with the facts and the full picture, then judge as you wish, I've been used to criticism, fair and unfair for 30 years.

But from "your own"? Based on a healthy dollop of disrespect based or a hunch? Is that really where some of you are at? So weathered by the last 3 years that hammering people who simply are who they say they are is some kind of sport on a forum? Shame on you that do. That's not support, that's disrespect, disdain and wanting your cake and eating it. Some of the posts on this forum, a great forum generally , are an utter disgrace and some on here should be ashamed of themselves for putting their name to half baked gossip, conspiracy theories and in some cases borderline if not outright libel.

I'm afraid it won't go unchallenged, as even on here a whisper ends up poisoning the well even more than is.

"Could be bollocks" is basically calling me a liar, inferring the contacts aren't there or have been exaggerated when if I took any of you to my meetings in the last two weeks you'd be doing cartwheels down the road.

My advice? Honestly? Support good people who've come to help and who are.
Ignore some trolls, they could be a Colchester Utd fans who is laughing at our demises. I am sad to see John White struggling as opponents seems to target him and Dunne is not what we needed in middle.

The mention here of we need to support the players as confidence is low....have they not seen the support they have had in the stands week in week out?? We have to be in the top 3 best supported teams in terms of fan numbers each match in the division - even with 3 seasons of record breaking relentless poor performances.

I appreciate the difficult job that Tom , Stan and the management team have got, but there also needs to be an acceptance that this is an extraordinary position for a club to be looking at a third straight relegation. Continously being told that we have one of the highest budgets in each of the divisions we have been in and yet appearing to have a aged poor team each season - questions will rightly be asked by the fans and unfortunately with this being so emotive, not always in the right way.

Hey Stan. There's a small bunch of trolls on here who can't be reasoned with because they're only interested in being controversial, creating conflict and winding people up. They're highly vocal - they apparently have nothing else to do - but they don't reflect the view of genuine, long-term supporters of the club. Please ignore them - you can even put them on ignore (that's what many people on here do). They're not worthy of your time and, as you say, they know less than 1% of what you know about these particular matters but also about football in general.

There’s also people on here who are called out as trolls for simply questioning things and having a difference of opinion.

"I know my role and my vision for Southend is clear.
“It falls in line with Kev, Mark Bentley, Darren Currie and Tom.
“Constant conversations will be along the lines of what can we do to move this big club forward quickly?
“I’ll be looking to give Kev, Benno and Darren the biggest basket of good stuff so they can then say no to him or yes to him".
Notice that word 'quickly'?

‘Quickly’ is a relative term. For some of us If we pick up a handful of (good) new players between now and the end of January and results start to improve and we move to safety and mid table by the end of the season that’s quick enough.

Maybe because it could be bollocks. He may have been an excellent player, but what qualifications does he have to be a Director of Football or Head of Strategic Football? (Don't get me started on that title)
Stan may have contacts but are they the right ones. People who know the level or players & staff at that level.
Tommy Widdrington lives in Southend, why not get him back, he did well for Bristol Rovers until that **** Joey Barton screwed it up.

What is it you want.

Ron picking a name out of the hat again?

They have all been in the job 5 minutes.

Tommy widdrington?

This all might fail but give them a chance. The club is genuinely trying to be progressive and change the things that have lead to our failure.

Again, what is it you want?

Last edited:
I wasn't saying I had been shouted down, but certainly others have been for not sticking to the script which appears to be: have faith and everything will work out fine and in the meantime don't rock the boat for fear toys get thrown out of the pram again. The club suffered enough last year by giving MM the benefit of the doubt with his 'process' for too long. History repeats itself all too often and a third successive relegation would be terminal, so closing your eyes and hoping for the best is not a good idea.
What's your alternative though? Keep sacking people every month and hope something happens? As others have said this isn't football manager, our club is far too broken for there to be an easy way to fix the club within a couple of weeks which is why there's hostility to people moaning already, expecting anything so quickly is unrealistic.

That tactic still got us relegated last season, I think that’s why it fills people with dread. It’s also horrible to watch, ok that may be necessary at times but I think most fans are fed up with the lack of goals/goalscoring chances created. Just explaining why it might not be well received.

Regards some of these posts, I think people need to give it a bit longer then a few weeks. This is a massive rebuilding job. Very few people know the work that’s going on behind the scenes. Give Stan the benefit of the doubt (not saying hero worship). Give the guy a break maybe.
I disagree - that tatic gave a lot of hope but unfortunately we ran out of games. Our form with that tatic was ok, and would've been enough to stay up if had played it from the start of the seasonm The tatic that got us relegated was the first 14 games where we were wide open and conceding for fun. Plus of course lack of pre season, transfer embargoes etc

Whilst I share the pain and frustration we all do about our present League position, I have to say I feel far happier about the club than I did six weeks or so ago. The change we require on the pitch is not going to be achieved overnight and will probably take a lot longer than a few of us on here apparently have the patience for, which is sad, even if their impatience is understandable. I don't want to say much, apart from the fact that I am very happy with the new management team in place. I believe they know exactly what requires to be done in order to strengthen the squad and I'm totally confident they will do what is necessary to turn things around. Please, just give them time!

I disagree - that tatic gave a lot of hope but unfortunately we ran out of games. Our form with that tatic was ok, and would've been enough to stay up if had played it from the start of the seasonm The tatic that got us relegated was the first 14 games where we were wide open and conceding for fun. Plus of course lack of pre season, transfer embargoes etc
It’s not great to watch though. It’s a shame we have to revert to it and I can see why paying punters wouldn’t like it. Last season I don’t think Molesley had an option and given what he had, it was probably our best chance of staying up after that wretched start but ultimately we didn’t. Goals win games and are what the paying public love to see - oh for a great, vibrant attacking performance.. a Ricky Otto lighting up the pitch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back