• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
The management/coaching team are in a similar position to the managers of San Marino, Gibraltar, Azerbaijan, Andorra etc. They can only try and get the best out of the players available to them. Trying to get a result against teams that are better than you is a thankless task. We have all got to be patient and hope that some recruits are brought in sooner rather than later. As fans we are putting up with more disappointment than almost every other club in the country. It is understandable if people on here vent their anger and frustration. As long as they are not abusive they are fully entitled to their views. Personally, I think the management team, CEO and Stan are working flat out to try and turn things round, we have to try and show patience.

It is no surprise that things are taking their time to improve.
Mr Collymore and the rest of the management team cannot work miracles instantly.

There are too many intercoursewits on this board.

I may have to track them down and punish them.

Kind regards

Frank Castle AKA The Punisher.

It took me 4 years to get a new desk chair at my last job.

Those of you that think this is an overnight fix, are deluded.

The club is ****ed and Mr.Collymore is doing all he can to keep us afloat. If it takes a couple of years to get the change we want, I'd rather be a NL South side with the foundations to return to the EFL than be in the NL South with the same RM mess we currently have.

SC is bringing about positive change and as scary as it is, we all need to be patient and hope we avoid the drop.

I trust Collymore.

I trust Lawrence.

On the flip side many are praising and making a cult hero of Stan before he has produced. I hope he does but obviously judgement is coming in both forms. Probably none of it warranted either way as yet.
He has produced already. His agitating got a CEO, it got Phil Brown out of our club. We’d been without a CEO for years but within a few weeks of Stan taking up the issue Ron suddenly decided it was time to appoint one. Stan may or may not deliver as Football Strategist but he starts with credit in the bank - even before considering his status from purely his playing achievements.
What makes you reply in such a sure and certain way?
I watched the Grimsby game - they may have been short of many things but effort wasn’t one of them.
Then try out some youth
He has: Seaden, Howard, Sayers, Egbri and Phillips have all started games under Maher (plus Rush has played as sub) already and Phillips has been the pick of the five but didn’t merit a start after Woking.

I am not one of those but I would have loved to see some tactical improvement from the management guys even if we are still losing and not just wait for news players. We will turn it around, we will get new players but think some difference should be shown by now and it really hasn't
There may not have been an immediate pick-up in results, but I am definitely seeing an attempted change in the way we play. It's fairly clear to me that the new coaching team are trying to instill a zippier and more attacking passing game......different to both Brown and Molesley, IMO. The fact that it is not quite coming together yet brings us right back round to the argument about confidence/morale, and technical ability. I think it's a bit harsh to say you're not seeing s tactical change and to immediately get on the coaches backs for that, when we're not privy to the work being done on the training pitch and when we can see with our own eyes how little quality we possess.

Then try out some youth
You would need to be absolutely sure that their obvious ability would be enough to counter-act the toxic situation that you're throwing them into at a young and inexperienced age......and if we had any more youngsters that fit that bill, I think they would already be first team regulars. There is a definite pattern of successive managers clearly not deeming the current crop of youngsters to be ready yet, and they have seen a damn sight more of them than we have, so I'm minded to err on the side of trusting that string of successive judgements for now.

Trust the process. An often overused term. But in our case it’s very relevant.

Five good people, fully invested in turning this club around have come in. The biggest and may I add most positive re-shuffle this club has seen in donkeys years. Five people that are working their absolute hardest 24/7 to put changes and new processes in motion. Of course we all want immediate improvements, I’m sure they do as well. But this club has been so **** and left to rot for so long, that that is simply not possible. There is no magic wand. It will take ages to get this club operating as it should in the modern era. Don’t forget these guys may also have their hands tied in certain respects, so cut them some slack.

We have to trust (and support) the guys to turn this club around. What’s the alternative?…hound the new guys out early doors and go and find replacements again? As well as a number of new players? Absolutely not. That’s a sure fire fast track ticket to the NLS, even more so than it looks now.

Back the new guys to turn it around. It will take time. But given the right support and tools I have no doubt we will be in a much better place down the line. Absolutely ask questions and hold to account those people (at the forums) but downright abuse and false accusations is not going to help anyone, most importantly our club.

Last edited:
We have several products from our academy who should now be mainstays of the side: we’ve an prolific forward who has just turned 20, we’ve an exciting, energetic midfielder aged 21, we’ve a quality right-back still (for a few more days) 22, we’ve a young keeper just turned 22 who is probably only now ready to be a regular, we’ve a technically gifted 21 year old midfielder who didn’t come through the academy as such but joined as a youngster and has an eye for goal.

Alas none of them are at the club any more and have been sold off (or in one case attempted to be sold off) to pay off the debts accrued during Brown’s first spell, when we failed to lay any foundations for the future. The pick of the crop have therefore departed. We may still have a few contributors but they are likely to be in more supporting roles, at least for now.

ZB is a very welcome and much needed addition to the squad. He has many positive attributes, but set pieces and dead ball delivery are not his strength. We’d be better off having him positioned at attacking free kicks to pick up the second ball or clearance. With his skills level, I would expect pacey attacking balls in to the box, not the floaty aimless delivery that has been the norm. Perhaps this is what he is being asked to do; if so, I’d like to know why, as it’s so easy to defend.
Was you not at the Dover game? First time for a long while that I had seen corners land in the right place and some good free kicks as well.

There’s also people on here who are called out as trolls for simply questioning things and having a difference of opinion.
Which is ok but where is the patience as that is what is needed right now…..

Was you not at the Dover game? First time for a long while that I had seen corners land in the right place and some good free kicks as well.

I’ve seen all the games he’s played for us. My view, is formed from that collective experience, not just a couple of efforts in one game.

At least 7/8 new players are needed. The work which should have been done in the summer.

This club is limping along and it's very easy to say sign better players, that can said to any club, but with the reputation Southend has, it's even harder.

Time is annoying but that's what it takes sadly. Just need to try and snatch results here and there when they can.

Everything seems to be a bit toxic with our club at the moment and I think all of us need to have a long hard look at ourselves and think what effect we may be having on the club's future.

My son went to Grimsby last night, tried to start a chant and then our own fans apparently turned on him and started singing abusive songs at him.

I'm sure those who started it all thought it was a great laugh at the time, but if a young lad decides in future because of this to not bother taking a day's annual leave to go and support the team, or if others who were there last night witnessed it and decide not to start chants in the future then the overall outcome is negative.

@StanleyVictorCollymore is old enough and wise enough to absorb what is thrown at him on here (or give back as good as he gets) but should he have to?

Same is true of Tom Lawrence, Kevin Maher, or even dare I say Ron Martin.

We need to get this toxic culture out of our club and trust (and back) the good guys who are trying to turn things around, not question why they have not done so in the first month.

When I was younger we heard the phrase "weak point...shout louder" used towards those communicating. It is not impossible there there are a number of posts here that are more to do with defending themselves against alternative views than raising helpful points about recruitment. Our recruitment (both playing and managing) in the past years has been very poor...generally. Hence we are where we are. But we wont resolve anything by just being self defensive against another view. It doesn't help when there are (sometimes) aggressive and personal posts either. Yes, its a public forum, yes there is free thought. But perhaps we should give greater consideration to the impact of our free thought when we put it into words on a public website? We should perhaps aim higher. We are in a VERY challenging position as a club. We ALL desperately want to see it change. We would LOVE it to change tomorrow....but we know it will take time. More patience (yes...even more) less reactive posting, perhaps, and less self-defending by attacking those we think are attacking our view or opinion. Do unto others...as someone once said.

The management/coaching team are in a similar position to the managers of San Marino, Gibraltar, Azerbaijan, Andorra etc. They can only try and get the best out of the players available to them. Trying to get a result against teams that are better than you is a thankless task. We have all got to be patient and hope that some recruits are brought in sooner rather than later. As fans we are putting up with more disappointment than almost every other club in the country. It is understandable if people on here vent their anger and frustration. As long as they are not abusive they are fully entitled to their views. Personally, I think the management team, CEO and Stan are working flat out to try and turn things round, we have to try and show patience.

yes just look at Watford , Villa and Norwich today , new managers working with underperforming players and boy did the new managers get the best out of them today .

Much as I have faith in the new set up I am hoping to see a better strategy than let’s hope Kings Lynn and Aldershot perform worse than ourselves.

I think fans have a right to constructive criticism a lot of which we see on here along with the trolls.

We go into the no such thing as a must win Maidenhead game with two loan players signed almost immediately, a continuing injury crisis, financial woes, confidence crises and probably another 20 years of Fossetts farm though if our decline continues it may as well be FF vegetable patch.

That’s partly why, though not supporting some of the vitriol on here I won’t condemn it either. We need points not promises that it will all come together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back