• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update Regarding Stan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're saying no news is good news.
Can't agree.

'Most news' over the last three years has caused 'upset' - how could it not?
But not knowing has been worse.
I'm not sure who is to blame for comms pre-Stan, but frankly, it was dire.
Maybe, Ron put the block on media releases, and the poor media officer was left wringing his-her hands?
Even so, one hopes there will now be frank and regular updates whether good or bad.
You should watch Cathy Newman interview with Jordan Peterson.

In fact you post is a perfect example of how every little snippet, including all those from Stan, is then twisted to the majority of individual readers own agenda.

Reasonable football debate has been driven away from Shrimperzone in in a storm of petty squabbles over the most minor and pointless debates.

For example whilst people are are making wild claims that John Still has only been signed because of the court case etc....Some of us on our phones are more concerned with how does the JS long ball/direct/percentage style football recruit the KM, its all about passing type player.

Don't expect the club to announce that point. Don't expect it to be revealed on BBC Essex or in the Echo. The best questions and often answers are found here on the Zone.....If the right people can get a word in edgeways.

Rather than concerning ourselves that Stans announcement was 1 hour later than he promised 10 days ago lets discuss what we can all see with our own eyes... the performances on the pitch.

That’s not really fair. Pro’s always big themselves up against the average punter that they know so much better, when in reality it’s their perspective that’s different. If you started watching your team when you were barely out of nappies and continue to do so when you’re claiming your pension, your view is as valid as anyone else’s.
TBF many posters demonstrate continually that the pros really do know better- the irritating thing being that they do it more continually and repeatedly the less they know better... But you are right its a forum and therefore it's the rough with the smooth. Its also why Stan was always going to be better served by what he is doing now. I have long concluded there are supporters who could watch the game for a 100 years and still know not a lot...

BTW a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing (which is probably where most of us sit..)

Thing is, he's not your average forum poster who you can have differing opinions with. He has been in the game for decades, now works for the club, knows what is happening behind the scenes and really only brings facts. He's much better-informed than you are, so it just comes across as though you are disagreeing with him for the sake of it and to seek attention.
In fairness he was a pro-player then pundit who hasn’t actually worked formally for a pro-club in any capacity since he retired from playing that I can see? That makes him immensely qualified to comment on the nuances of a particular match or effectiveness of formations of course but doesn't necessarily make him an expert or how to run a business or part of a football club.

You should watch Cathy Newman interview with Jordan Peterson.

In fact you post is a perfect example of how every little snippet, including all those from Stan, is then twisted to the majority of individual readers own agenda.

Reasonable football debate has been driven away from Shrimperzone in in a storm of petty squabbles over the most minor and pointless debates.

For example whilst people are are making wild claims that John Still has only been signed because of the court case etc....Some of us on our phones are more concerned with how does the JS long ball/direct/percentage style football recruit the KM, its all about passing type player.

Don't expect the club to announce that point. Don't expect it to be revealed on BBC Essex or in the Echo. The best questions and often answers are found here on the Zone.....If the right people can get a word in edgeways.

Rather than concerning ourselves that Stans announcement was 1 hour later than he promised 10 days ago lets discuss what we can all see with our own eyes... the performances on the pitch.
Can't see how 'every little snippet' is the same as up-to-date news on a range of topics?

The point was a lack of communication from the club Stan BC.

I'm not sure either whether JS's long ball will knit with KM passing, or a deflection of the court case is news as we understand it?

Either one is more debate than 'news', that's news in the sense this-will-happen, and-this-is-being-addressed, sort of thing.

If announcements appear regularly via Zoom, programme, or club website - all good with most supporters, I imagine.

Stan said earlier in the week that a poster would soon look very silly by the end of the week when replying to a comment re the lack of signings coming in. You could be forgiven in thinking that means players are incoming and hopefully very soon. If we don't see one by Saturday morning then that for me is very concerning considering it's been a number of weeks since Stan, Maher etc have been in the job and will clearly know the areas we need to strengthen (pretty much every position).

Stan said earlier in the week that a poster would soon look very silly by the end of the week when replying to a comment re the lack of signings coming in. You could be forgiven in thinking that means players are incoming and hopefully very soon. If we don't see one by Saturday morning then that for me is very concerning considering it's been a number of weeks since Stan, Maher etc have been in the job and will clearly know the areas we need to strengthen (pretty much every position).
Genuine question, and I'm not tryna be antagonising here because I actually agree with what you're getting at.

What sort of signings would you like us to be making? Looking at the size of our squad, I'd imagine that we're at the top end of our budget (embarrassing when you look at the quality of it). I'd imagine that we'd have to move players on before making permanent signings (who's gonna want the majority of our players?), which would in the short term leave us with loans, which is fine when you look at Lapata and Brunt and the impact they have brought.

I personally think a lot of teams will be very reluctant to send us their kids with the position we're in. Yes we're trying to build bridges, use contacts etc, but that wouldn't change overnight. Could we attract an out of favour player in the same league? Potentially, although you'd have to question how good they are.

Free agents? There might be 1 or 2, but again you'd have to question why no one has picked them up already, plus they'd be well off the required fitness levels.

If we wanna make signings from this league or even League 2, then I'd imagine we're gonna have to wait a while longer. Frustrating, yes. Worrying, absolutely. But we have got to get this spot on. We cannot have another flurry of signings that just don't work. We'd be relegated by February if we did.

Let's not forget the National North and South as well. Some very talented players in those leagues, a lot with the desired drive to better themselves and reach the football league. These players will no doubt be on our radar already, hence the management being at so many games in recent weeks.

I guess the point I'm trying to get at is let's just wait and see. The club clearly aint just sitting there doing nothing. We used to struggle to make signings when we were in League 1, we're now in the bottom 3 of the National League. It's not an attractive proposition for clubs, players, families, agents etc.

If we haven't made a signing by the rescheduled Maidenhead game then I'd be extremely worried. It wouldn't be through the lack of trying, but it would show the absolute ****show we're in.

No he didn't, he said the guy would look silly after the suggestion recruitment wasn't being dealt with. Have a day off.

What sort of signings would you like us to be making? Looking at the size of our squad

We pretty much need a whole new squad, those who'll remember my post prior to the season beginning will know I didn't agree with the likes of White or Demi getting new deals and I think it's clear that I was right about that. You could even add Ralph to that list considering he's injured way too much. I also wasn't happy about 50% if not more of the new signings because they're all injury prone, Ogogo and Coulson being proof of that so far this season.

We're obviously not getting a new squad so we need to focus on what the priorities are and for me these are below:

Defensive midfielder
Striker to help out Dalby and Murphy
At least one winger
Right back

They are the top four positions we need for me but if I'm being greedy then I'd say we need another CB as neither White or Hobson have been great this season and unless we can get Ralph playing then we need a LB as well. Another striker wouldn't go amiss either but don't think for a second that I think we're going to get all of that.

I would also say that we need to be looking around the rest of non-league for these players who are free-agents or crazy enough to come to us. I know prem loanee's can't come until the window opens but even then I'm reluctant that young prem lads can do it in NL. EFL teams I can't remember whether they can loan now or in windows but if they can now then league 1 and 2 fringe players who aren't getting game time.

It would be great if Maher could coach the existing players into improving but I genuinely believe they simply are not good enough and most of them cannot improve, a lot of them are over the hill anyway.

Has Stan done something to upset you ?

You really don't seem to like him.
Actually if you read my comments on Stan over the past few days I actively say that I support him. There are things about him that I don't like though thats for sure. I think he's come in making big and bold promises which all sounded great, some of which he's done, some of which he hasn't yet. My main worry is when new players are coming and he was the one who said he had them ready and waiting so I think I'm able to ask where they are.

Finally, the thing I can't stand about him, which was well before his association with us came into play, is his constant arguing with fans and like I keep saying, if you don't agree with him then you get blocked. He's also a very controversial character who but we're not allowed to mention how Stan's not perfect, all anyway ever thinks about is the 6 months (yes just 6 months) that he spent with us.

So personally speaking I can stand the bloke but professional for the club I hope he does a good job. I can't see him sticking around for too long personally. Forgive me for not bowing down to him and thinking he's jesus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually if you read my comments on Stan over the past few days I actively say that I support him. There are things about him that I don't like though thats for sure. I don't respect men who smash seven bells out of women and never will that's why I find the old blokes telling him how much they love him over zoom so cringey. I also think he's come in making big and bold promises which all sounded great, some of which he's done, some of which he hasn't yet. My main worry is when new players are coming and he was the one who said he had them ready and waiting so I think I'm able to ask where they are.

Finally, the thing I can't stand about him, which was well before his association with us came into play, is his constant arguing with fans and like I keep saying, if you don't agree with him then you get blocked. He's also a very controversial character who during the BLM protests was actively preaching hatred on twitter for weeks on end and rightly got a lot of flack for it. But we're not allowed to mention how Stan's not perfect, all anyway ever thinks about is the 6 months (yes just 6 months) that he spent with us.

So personally speaking I can stand the bloke but professional for the club I hope he does a good job. I can't see him sticking around for too long personally because as everyone knows he will throw his toys out the pram, he's already done that numerous times on shrimperzone and twitter whilst already walking away once. Forgive me for not bowing down to him and thinking he's jesus.

I don't believe it's a crime not to like someone.

I thought your reply was quite diplomatic, mine would have been, no I don't. But he knows that because he asked me months ago if I did and I said no.

Actually if you read my comments on Stan over the past few days I actively say that I support him. There are things about him that I don't like though thats for sure. I don't respect men who smash seven bells out of women and never will that's why I find the old blokes telling him how much they love him over zoom so cringey. I also think he's come in making big and bold promises which all sounded great, some of which he's done, some of which he hasn't yet. My main worry is when new players are coming and he was the one who said he had them ready and waiting so I think I'm able to ask where they are.

Finally, the thing I can't stand about him, which was well before his association with us came into play, is his constant arguing with fans and like I keep saying, if you don't agree with him then you get blocked. He's also a very controversial character who during the BLM protests was actively preaching hatred on twitter for weeks on end and rightly got a lot of flack for it. But we're not allowed to mention how Stan's not perfect, all anyway ever thinks about is the 6 months (yes just 6 months) that he spent with us.

So personally speaking I can stand the bloke but professional for the club I hope he does a good job. I can't see him sticking around for too long personally because as everyone knows he will throw his toys out the pram, he's already done that numerous times on shrimperzone and twitter whilst already walking away once. Forgive me for not bowing down to him and thinking he's jesus.

Did Stan say he had players waiting or did he say his proposed head of recruitment had players waiting?

And the recruitment process is a team effort, with I think Kev having final say - so Stan could well have put a list of names infront of Kev and the team, and they're actively looking at them.

Who knows!! Could be many reasons why players haven't joined us yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back