• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Molesley

Even though we’d probably still have gone down—though I can’t believe we wouldn’t have thrashed a pathetic Colchester outfit—with Molesley in charge,and able to spend all the money Brown wasted, we’d now be challenging strongly at the right end of the table.

….and if your auntie had balls…..

Aldershot beat Woking 3-2 away this pm after twice going behind. A last minute goal saw them snatch the three points and continue their unbeaten run.
Perhaps when all is said and done Ron sacking MM might turn out to be a bigger crime than running out of money every now and then!

Aldershot beat Woking 3-2 away this pm after twice going behind. A last minute goal saw them snatch the three points and continue their unbeaten run.
Perhaps when all is said and done Ron sacking MM might turn out to be a bigger crime than running out of money every now and then!
I don’t think it was though, he was the right manager just at the wrong time for us and him. Really pleased though that his time with us hasn’t tarnished his reputation in the game and he is rebuilding. I think he will go on to do well!

total rubbish MM cost us relegation, playing out from the back players giving away stupid goals, and it took MM to understand it did not work, points lost though being stuborn

Here’s a thought perhaps MM was glad to go he’s last interviews he sounded a beaten man as did Brown, Bond and Powell at the end of their tenures in the crazy world of Ron.

Would Aldershot's wage budget be greater than ours? Is their Academy rated higher?
I wonder what he might have done for us had he ever really been given a chance to sign players.
In hindsight sacking him looks bad enough but replacing with PB? Apart from Craig Fagan and Ricky Duncan who else thought that was a good idea?

Glad he has managed to get another job - seems like a nice guy - however having supported for over 55 years I witnessed the worst football ever played by a SUFC team and, yes, of course I know the problems he was working with. He and his coaching staff took a career gamble with us that didn't work out and it is our club that paid the price.

Glad he has managed to get another job - seems like a nice guy - however having supported for over 55 years I witnessed the worst football ever played by a SUFC team and, yes, of course I know the problems he was working with. He and his coaching staff took a career gamble with us that didn't work out and it is our club that paid the price.
Yeah it was bloody awful, i think some people have glazed over how bad it was.

Lost a lot of points as he tried to imprint his play out from the back philosophy on players with no talent.

Made some absolutely bizarre substitutions at times that angered everyone at the time.

But worst of all, even with phil browns decrepit 11 i'd never felt more certain that the moment we went 1-0 down there was no way in hell we were going to get something out of the game. Soul destroying stuff.

He tried to defend his way out of trouble. But it made for horrible football and it didnt work.

I dont wish him bad luck as his hands were tied in a lot of ways. But my god it was grim.

Yeah it was bloody awful, i think some people have glazed over how bad it was.

Lost a lot of points as he tried to imprint his play out from the back philosophy on players with no talent.

Made some absolutely bizarre substitutions at times that angered everyone at the time.

But worst of all, even with phil browns decrepit 11 i'd never felt more certain that the moment we went 1-0 down there was no way in hell we were going to get something out of the game. Soul destroying stuff.

He tried to defend his way out of trouble. But it made for horrible football and it didnt work.

I dont wish him bad luck as his hands were tied in a lot of ways. But my god it was grim.
I will never get over December and January, the absolute jubilance and good memories of such a great month of December, playing 4 at the back, winning match after match, scoring goals, all during an embargo as well, just to change it all to 5 at the back in January because he looked at some random statistics from his 'analysts', it genuinely baffled me, yes his hands were tied in various different ways, but he will never be forgiven after that January, and god forbid he does the same at Aldershot. You should never rely on stats in football, because sometimes you just have to play classic football.

I will never get over December and January, the absolute jubilance and good memories of such a great month of December, playing 4 at the back, winning match after match, scoring goals, all during an embargo as well, just to change it all to 5 at the back in January because he looked at some random statistics from his 'analysts', it genuinely baffled me, yes his hands were tied in various different ways, but he will never be forgiven after that January, and god forbid he does the same at Aldershot. You should never rely on stats in football, because sometimes you just have to play classic football.
Oh yeah, ive sort of mentally blanked that bit out. All of a sudden we looked ok. Then back to the ****e.

Like a burke i remember putting a fiver on us making the playoffs after those games ?

Oh yeah, ive sort of mentally blanked that bit out. All of a sudden we looked ok. Then back to the ****e.

Like a burke i remember putting a fiver on us making the playoffs after those games ?
The thing is, at the time, it wasn't even a bad shout, who knows where we could've been if he stuck to his tactics and our form carried on, none of this **** could've happened and we could still securely be in League 2, a lot of things have contributed to our downfall, but that January will sure be one that you will always think 'what if?'

These are the teams we beat in December and January when we were playing 4 at the back:

Scunthorpe (finished 22nd)
Grimsby (finished 24th)
Colchester (finished 20th)
Barrow (finished 21st)

I'd say we won those games because we were playing teams as crap as we were, not because of the formation. We played 4 at the back against Orient in that period and we looked as bad as usual because Orient were a good side.

These are the teams we beat in December and January when we were playing 4 at the back:

Scunthorpe (finished 22nd)
Grimsby (finished 24th)
Colchester (finished 20th)
Barrow (finished 21st)

I'd say we won those games because we were playing teams as crap as we were, not because of the formation. We played 4 at the back against Orient in that period and we looked as bad as usual because Orient were a good side.
You don't agree that good form and a winning mentality would extremely help the team to carry it on and win against teams higher up in the league? You've based it on one statistic rather than looking at the bigger picture of how those results could've affected the rest of the season in a formation and tactic the team is comfortable in playing.

I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, but I go back to my statement of 'what if?', because we'll never know now.

Molesley lost key players early doors and wasn’t able to get in replacements/reinforcements of the quality needed. Whether he could’ve got more out of RHF, Dieng, Akinola, ANG etc who knows but we all watched the games and it didn’t look like lack of effort.

The whole atmosphere around the place has been allegedly bad for years and the fact we had to fall back on Ranger out of desperation about sums up how bad things were. Plus others failed to turn the tide before and after him. I go along with the fact he had his hands tied and tried his best in bad circumstances. Good luck Mark!

Back