• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Players collapsing

Do you mean Lance Armstrong Yorkie?
I wasn’t thinking of a drugs cheat so much as the frequency with which all pro cyclists (clean and dirty) are tested. Even the cycling drugs testing regime - with their biological passports - doesn’t catch them all.

We know from Operation Puerto that in Spain footballers frequented the same dodgy doctors as the cyclists. In Italy there have long been links between football and doping and even deaths investigated

Well I don't know if this is verified but a journalist on Twitter claimed yesterday that 108 FIFA-registered players have died in the last 6 months. Just this week, John Fleck, Charlie Wyke and Adama Traore have all collapsed, and a player in non-league died. Aguero has obviously had to retire because of a heart condition, a Palermo women's player died a couple of weeks ago...

I know these things have happened in the past but they have been very rare. There's no denying they are currently happening at an alarming frequency. Given that heart conditions are a well-known side effect of the COVID vaccine, I think this needs to be looked into urgently.

Charlie Wyke has said he isn’t vaccinated.

Aguero has had a diagnosed heart condition since he was 12.

John Fleck had Covid last summer.

I’d question if these events were indeed happening more frequently, or whether they were just being reported more frequently… particularly by people who stand to make a few quid from their YouTube videos.

Charlie Wyke has said he isn’t vaccinated.
I made the mistake of looking at the Daily Mail comments for this story, you'd think this fact would have stopped the conspiracy theorists coming out to play but no. All the commenters were ranting about how it's clearly the Covid vaccine to blame, when someone pointed out Wyke hadn't taken the vaccine that person got heavily downvoted. Pretty much sums up how the minds of conspiracy theories work, listen to anything that can be warped to suit your agenda and stick your fingers in your ears for anything else.

And of course let's not forget referee Mike North who sadly passed during a match at Roots Hall.

Sadly has been happening for a long time. I've seen no evidence that the frequency has increased.

Reactions: GBJ
It's being highlighted more because of the extremely high-profile Christien Eriksen incident. I've been going to games for 25 years now and sadly medical emergencies in the stands have always been there.

Maybe there has been an increase in this sort of thing. Some will jump on the vaccine bandwagon but let's not forget that Covid does attack your respiratory system. I got Covid in the summer and my first symptom was incredible shortness of breath and I wasn't exercising at the time

It's being highlighted more because of the extremely high-profile Christien Eriksen incident. I've been going to games for 25 years now and sadly medical emergencies in the stands have always been there.

Maybe there has been an increase in this sort of thing. Some will jump on the vaccine bandwagon but let's not forget that Covid does attack your respiratory system. I got Covid in the summer and my first symptom was incredible shortness of breath and I wasn't exercising at the time
Will admit having had COVID a few weeks back my respiratory and circulatory systems both aren't 100%. Feels like a type of post-viral syndrome but been getting better taking it easy and eating well.

I think the main concern is that either way we need answers for the sake of fit, young people who only have a limited time to earn their £££ and set themselves up for life post footy.

Man U on Saturday, Napoli yesterday. Looks like Pericarditis, which is a recognised side effect of the jab.

I have had pericarditis twice about 15 years apart. It is an infection in the sack around the heart. Doctors don't really know how you catch it but I was told young fit men have a higher chance than normal. At the time Seb Coe had it.

First time I was training in the yard at work and you do get short of breath then pains in the centre of the chest. Second time during a strong swimming session. Both times I ended up in an ambulance on the bell as the ECG graph showed up a potential heart attack or at least something very concerning to the staff.

There are no signs in advance so even when you start exercise your not even feeling slightly under the weather. I certainly had no long term effects from the first time as a few years later I came 3rd in Londons Fittest Firefighter.

Not so sure after the second but the good news i am no longer young or fit so I now feel confident I wont have a 3rd episode.

It's very difficult to say if there's an increase in the incidence of sudden cardiac arrests in football.

I think it's a mixture of awareness, but also there will be an issue of PEDs in the sport, then there's the fact that you're more likely to develop myocarditis which could potentially trigger SCA from the COVID virus itself, than from the vaccine. We know that COVID has run rife through professional sport and that vaccination rates are relatively low.

Many people (especially men) are born with very minor structural defects in their hearts which in many instances won't impact their lives at all. However, sometimes they can cause issues and sadly this will mean people potentially need to make difficult decisions either if they're screened, or if something happens and then it's identified and could have an impact on what they decide to do in the future (e.g. continue with high-level sport).

People tying this completely to COVID vaccines are shameless and causing deaths with their misinformation. Thought it was interesting how Joshua Kimmich has changed his mind and has major regrets after being left with long COVID/respiratory issues after getting COVID.

Man U on Saturday, Napoli yesterday. Looks like Pericarditis, which is a recognised side effect of the jab.
Myocarditis and pericarditis are very rare side effects of the COVID vaccines. They are typically mild as well, so any serious events are ultra ultra rare.

Myocarditis and pericarditis are also recognised sequelae of the COVID infection (as makes clinical and biological sense seeing as they're a sign of systemic infection), there are data suggesting that you are many times more likely to get myocarditis or pericarditis from the COVID infection itself, than from the vaccine.

So if you have a particular concern about your heart health, then you're better off getting the vaccine, based on all available evidence that we have at the moment.

Myocarditis and pericarditis are very rare side effects of the COVID vaccines. They are typically mild as well, so any serious events are ultra ultra rare.

Myocarditis and pericarditis are also recognised sequelae of the COVID infection (as makes clinical and biological sense seeing as they're a sign of systemic infection), there are data suggesting that you are many times more likely to get myocarditis or pericarditis from the COVID infection itself, than from the vaccine.

So if you have a particular concern about your heart health, then you're better off getting the vaccine, based on all available evidence that we have at the moment.

You do not have anywhere near enough evidence to suggest that. In fact current available evidence says the opposite for people under 40.

If one of our players of any fans collapsed at Roots Hall, based on current standards of no physios etc and doctors being asked to attend matches last minute, that person could be in a lot of trouble. I know St Johns ambulance staff would be there but all of this stinks to me, doesn't seem safe or legal.

If one of our players of any fans collapsed at Roots Hall, based on current standards of no physios etc and doctors being asked to attend matches last minute, that person could be in a lot of trouble. I know St Johns ambulance staff would be there but all of this stinks to me, doesn't seem safe or legal.
If someone collapses you probably want a paramedic rather than a physio or GP. Physios will have some emergency training in this but they aren’t experts in that field and will have much less experience in such matters than a paramedic. Where a lack of physio hurts is dealing with the muscle and joint injuries and the lack of continuity and trust that having a regular physio allows.

If someone collapses you probably want a paramedic rather than a physio or GP. Physios will have some emergency training in this but they aren’t experts in that field and will have much less experience in such matters than a paramedic. Where a lack of physio hurts is dealing with the muscle and joint injuries and the lack of continuity and trust that having a regular physio allows.
Fair enough but if that's the case why do we need doctors at the ground? I'm sure there's some sort of rule stating one needs to be present, I could be wrong. You also hear about doctors in the crowd etc coming onto the pitch or being in the stands and saving people. My point though is ultimately, we seem very unorganised if this type of thing was to happen.

Fair enough but if that's the case why do we need doctors at the ground? I'm sure there's some sort of rule stating one needs to be present, I could be wrong. You also hear about doctors in the crowd etc coming onto the pitch or being in the stands and saving people. My point though is ultimately, we seem very unorganised if this type of thing was to happen.
I’m not sure whether that person needs the title/qualifications of a doctor or if that’s just used as short hand for medically qualified individual?

Something is clearly not right at the club behind the scenes but I’m not sure whether the problems we have are because the club is disorganised or because employees/volunteers are disgruntled (and unpaid?). I suspect it may be more of the latter but that is probably one for another thread.

For people concerned about visiting Roots Hall you are probably closer to medical assistance at the ground than you are out and about in your day to day life (unless you work in a hospital/doctor’s surgery).

We do have a "Crowd Doctor" at each home game his name is Dr. O Macaulay who's practise is The Knares Medical Practice, Lee Chapel, Basildon.

He is listed on the Who's Who page on the OS.

I would agree with this fully. A GP is not necessary the best person to deal with a medical emergency ..... if something occurred, the appropriately qualified individuals would see this and act. Trust me ... in the stands or on the pitch without the absence of a paid medic, SUFC is in good hands .... as long as the club has an AED (Automated Emergency Defib) ... which knowing how the club runs, isn't likely!! However, the club should not be relying on volunteers who come to football to switch off. Employed individuals should be in place.

As a trained Cardiac medic, along with my colleague, we would always step in if required to do so. That said, watching our performances, we've almost had a heart attack ourselves a few times .... who's going to look out for us??!! ?

Last edited:
Back