• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Planning Updates- All The Latest Details. 28/03/2022

SoS has extended their deadline to the 24th December. Another couple of weeks to wait I'm afraid.

Not great news if we'e relying on this to get cash to clear the umbongo

Any idea how many times the SoS is allowed to extend the deadline ie can they just do it indefinitely or is there a time limit and the decision reverts to the original local council decision when that expires?

Any idea how many times the SoS is allowed to extend the deadline ie can they just do it indefinitely or is there a time limit and the decision reverts to the original local council decision when that expires?
I believe the rules allow the SoS to prevent a planning decision indefinitely.

I believe the rules allow the SoS to prevent a planning decision indefinitely.
OK cheers pal, let's hope they pull their finger out soon but going by the governments recent insane decisions wouldn't put it past them putting the final nail in our coffin by letting this sit for months with no decision. Hope I'm wrong.

OK cheers pal, let's hope they pull their finger out soon but going by the governments recent insane decisions wouldn't put it past them putting the final nail in our coffin by letting this sit for months with no decision. Hope I'm wrong.

It's not clear to me (I'm not an expert though) that it meets the criteria for being called in - so hopefully just 'one of those things' delays rather than anything sinister

It's not clear to me (I'm not an expert though) that it meets the criteria for being called in - so hopefully just 'one of those things' delays rather than anything sinister
I think it is because the Secretary of State has the power of direction regarding any applications within the statutory green belt that he has to be notified of the local authority's intention to grant planning permission.

I am reasonably hopeful (as a former chartered town planner) that in this case the previous inspector's decision will be sufficient to satisfy the SoS that everything is OK - particularly now revised house building targets are in place.

This plan shows where the green belt is located.

Screenshot 2021-12-17 at 11.43.12.png

Last edited:
Off topic slightly and I'm being optimistic that'll the stadium will even happen when I say this BUT parking seems to be the biggest problem for fans outside of walking distance. I wonder if the the industrial estate near the graveyard will put on some parking there to earn some extra money whilst closed over the weekends. I've seen many others do it on an various away days that I've been to in the past. It would certainly help out, especially for away fans.

I think it is because the Secretary of State has the power of direction regarding any applications within the statutory green belt that he has to be notified of the local authority's intention to grant planning permission.

I am reasonably hopeful (as a former chartered town planner) that in this case the previous inspector's decision will be sufficient to satisfy the SoS that everything is OK - particularly now revised house building targets are in place.

This plan shows where the green belt is located.

View attachment 18013
Precisely my thoughts - surely given the planning precedent, to call it in would be a massive waste of taxpayer's money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic slightly and I'm being optimistic that'll the stadium will even happen when I say this BUT parking seems to be the biggest problem for fans outside of walking distance. I wonder if the the industrial estate near the graveyard will put on some parking there to earn some extra money whilst closed over the weekends. I've seen many others do it on an various away days that I've been to in the past. It would certainly help out, especially for away fans.
Good suggestion, but if that happened i'd guess they would have to put in a pedestrian crossing with maybe traffic lights, by the roundabout which leads to Temple Farm Ind Estate?.
On a Sat afternoon, the flow of traffic going both ways along Sutton Rd in that area, is pretty consistent. Would be an accident waiting to happen for 100's of fans crossing the road, as the layout is currently?.

I'm guessing no news is bad news?
I believe the deadline is still tomorrow, so who knows, denial would be big news too so I doubt that would go unheard?

But a delay/extension, if they're allowed to again, wouldn't be surprised.

I believe the deadline is still tomorrow, so who knows, denial would be big news too so I doubt that would go unheard?

But a delay/extension, if they're allowed to again, wouldn't be surprised.
It wouldn’t be denied it would be another Public Inquiry? Gove is an idiot on a biblical scale so rule nothing out. But can’t see that happening given the previous inquiry, and given the project has all party support and is key to SBC meeting the Government’s own building targets.
Dither and delay is a badge of honour it seems at the moment but I think it will get the green light. If we were up north a million quid would be thrown in and it would be called levelling up (see the Bury FC news..)
On the other hand I understand Ron has given a quid or two in donations in the past and maybe that makes up for us being in the South East..

It wouldn’t be denied it would be another Public Inquiry? Gove is an idiot on a biblical scale so rule nothing out. But can’t see that happening given the previous inquiry, and given the project has all party support and is key to SBC meeting the Government’s own building targets.
Dither and delay is a badge of honour it seems at the moment but I think it will get the green light. If we were up north a million quid would be thrown in and it would be called levelling up (see the Bury FC news..)
On the other hand I understand Ron has given a quid or two in donations in the past and maybe that makes up for us being in the South East..

Both Southend and Bury are priority 1 levelling up areas. Southend got given £19m in the recent budget.

Correct, he also used to, (i don't know if he still does but i doubt it) donate quite a lot.

Last edited:
SOS has decided not to call in. Just legal documents to complete and then planning permission can be issued
That's very positive news then! Hopefully some revelations in the next few weeks then if all goes well, can't see it being stalled now? Unless someone's pen keeps running out on the signature sections!

Back