• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Weymouth 0-1 Southend United

Welcome to 2022 everybody, and that's just the start we wanted.

A bit more composure in front of goal and we could have won at a canter. That is the one area for improvement, but Hey, we have just won a six pointer, for the first time in ages. We have sucked another team not previously mentioned in relegation talk, Wealdstone, into the mix. We have only lost 2 of our last 6 league games and have Yeovil at home on Tuesday.

Again I am not giving scores, because we win and lose as a team, but stand outs for me were Matt Dennis and Shaun Hobson.

Being that we didn't get the second, it was imperative not to concede. The back 4 predominantly, but all the team played a part from set pieces and achieving that.

Another step forward, the management team are definitely developing and improving the personnel we have, from earlier in the season, whatever your feelings about the individual players, but as a unit we sound more cohesive and we are starting to get some reward for the effort EVERYBODY is putting in.

So let's enjoy this win, but there is a long way to go, but hopefully everyone can see, we have personnel, playing and coaching that want to and can achieve safety this season, I am convinced of that.

So Yeovil? They are 11 players just as we are. However, we are coached better, we will be prepared better and our fans are the best in the league bar none!

So let's get right behind whoever pulls on the shirt and get the results we all want.............................................................TOGETHER!

Last edited:
a weymouth fan here.wouldnt get too upbeat .we are terrible at the moment and everyone beats us.no one likes our manager.you guys played ok but most teams score loads against us and we had a few chances to score.so i am happy for you guys but most teams in this league are stronger and better than you from what i have seen.obvs not us kings lynnand dover
And that's why we will stay up, there are three terrible teams in this league and you are one of them

A big shout to Kev, Benno and Currie. They had a massive job, but finally, things are beginning to click. Today we missed so many chances, but the encouraging thing is we are now making plenty of chances in a game, which wasn't the case. We were so solid at the back as well, with help for a change from the midfield. Arnie had a well deserved easy game.
We all knew that the last few seasons teams were absolute dire. Most of us were calling for fresh blood. More mobile players. It's happened with the loan players, and the difference is obvious.

Listened to the game (or most of it as I had a problem with the stream the first 25 mins) and we were comfortably on top.
It could have easily been three four or five nil.
I cannot remember when I last listened or watched a league game where we made so many chances and threatened so much throughout the game.
It does look like the coaching and management staff are having a positive influence on the players.
On another day things will really click and we will score a hatful.
We look (or should I say sound) like a completely different team and hopefully we can build on what was a really excellent result for us today.
It has been a long time since Blues performance has made me feel so good!
And a massive shout out to the travelling support!
UTB
Yeah and looks like kev and co want us to play decent attacking football too which is refreshing.

@spritch Thanks for that. I had thought you would start a min revival with such a near result v Eastleigh, a few young loanees (and some ex Shrimpers with points to prove) plus we have a habit of slip ups,
For sure the table doesn't lie, we are 7/11 of an okay team and 2/10 on confidence and luck.

This is a hell of a tough league in the best of times but harder in these testing pandemic rid seasons.

Great listening to a Southend radio commentary where Nick and Glen sounded upbeat about our performance today long may it continue on to Tuesday.

Absolutely effin chuffed. Nailbiting at the end but was actually good listening for once on the radio.

Matty Dennis seems to be our attacking catalyst. Put him in bubble wrap!

Been home a while (sorry) so thought I would chip in. That could easily have been 3 or 4 nil, we missed loads and I don’t recall Weymouth having a sniff, especially in the 2nd half.

Front 3 actually worked well together, new guy looked tidy and got stuck in, but did possibly look to go sideways a little too much, but may be that’s what we need?

Special shout out to Atkinson, thought he was immense today, playing for his contract maybe

a weymouth fan here.wouldnt get too upbeat .we are terrible at the moment and everyone beats us.no one likes our manager.you guys played ok but most teams score loads against us and we had a few chances to score.so i am happy for you guys but most teams in this league are stronger and better than you from what i have seen.obvs not us kings lynn and dover

After two consecutive relegations, we haven't scored loads against anyone mate and it is patently obvious there are teams "better and stronger" than us in this league! But we don't need to beat those "better and stronger teams" for the last half of this season. we just need to beat those in and around us. And we started that today by beating you with ease. on the pitch, if not on the scoreboard.

So, we will all probably take losing to a "better and stronger" team on the day this season, but we are improving over where we have been over the past two years and are now starting our journey up.

You never know if we, if we keep improving over the season, we might get that hatful against you that everyone else does when you make your visit to the Hall!

From their forum;

Today I watched two teams on the pitch. One team had desire to get to every ball, to win every header. That team looked like a cohesive group of players, playing to a system and importantly, playing for their manager.

The other team looked bereft of confidence, ideas and competence. Every time we had the ball in a good position (normally gifted to us by the opposition, as opposed to as a result of good build up play by us), we didn’t know what to do with it and ended up going backwards.

Brandon was one of the very few who at least rolled their sleeves up and gave it a go. Cam and Blair played well. Can someone explain why he was then substituted? Utterly bizarre.

I’m afraid my half full glass has now emptied. The club need to act, now, while there is still time to save the season.

From their forum

On way home now. Don’t care how we played, don’t care how many chances we missed. When it mattered Dennis put his chance away. Weymouth however are awful and my main criticism would be that it could and should have been at least 3-0. No idea what game the Weymouth fan was watching, don’t think Arnold had a save to make. But a win is a win and these are the games we have to pick up points in. Clean sheet also huge for confidence

Won’t give marks as thought whole team were terrific and played for the badge.

Neal after a shaky start and a booking became more composed and looked good.

Lopata, Hobson and Ralph faultless.

Also Will A had a terrific game and never stopped running.

JD and Clifford played well but both had trouble crossing today.

Upfront the front three worked so hard and linked up well. Just a shame they didn’t all get in the score sheet and deserved more for their efforts but need to gut the target when chances are presented

Fans - what can I say, I’ve sung myself horse, never stopped all game and credit to the club once again. Don’t know how many but would guess around 400 or so

So on to Tuesday, another big game and need to start picking up points at home and keep this run going

But things are starting to come together

SOUTHEND TIL I DIE

Attachments

• 74EF645D-DC41-4813-8E51-0BA34A0C68FF.jpeg
    74EF645D-DC41-4813-8E51-0BA34A0C68FF.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 47A323BD-1ACE-43A0-A2C4-C87F91E98FEE.jpeg
    47A323BD-1ACE-43A0-A2C4-C87F91E98FEE.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 78
From their forum;

Today I watched two teams on the pitch. One team had desire to get to every ball, to win every header. That team looked like a cohesive group of players, playing to a system and importantly, playing for their manager.

The other team looked bereft of confidence, ideas and competence. Every time we had the ball in a good position (normally gifted to us by the opposition, as opposed to as a result of good build up play by us), we didn’t know what to do with it and ended up going backwards.

Brandon was one of the very few who at least rolled their sleeves up and gave it a go. Cam and Blair played well. Can someone explain why he was then substituted? Utterly bizarre.

I’m afraid my half full glass has now emptied. The club need to act, now, while there is still time to save the season.

From their forum

That could have been written about us earlier this season. Makes a refreshing change to see us getting the positive view.

Back