• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Weymouth 0-1 Southend United

Unfortunately there seem to be 2 worse team than then which may mean they stay up. Wait and see…

Interesting re Atkinson. On the commentary they said over the last couple of games he has looked much livelier. TBH I think it’s less to do with not wanting the break clause in his contract activated. More due to the fact that he played every game at Alfreton first half of last season then the season was cancelled. He had a disrupted pre season I think with a calf injury.

At 33 I think a half season in NLN (where the pace is slower) followed by half a year of nothing and a partial pre-season, it’s just taken a while to get up to match fitness at a decent level. Unfortunately being first running around the training pitch and match fitness are different.

Ano domini I afraid

I'm curious about Matt Dennis's fitness.

Admittedly, he's short of game time, but is clearly finding it a struggle to go beyond the hour, even though he always puts in a shift.
He's just 19, and I wondered how long it takes a player like that to last the 90 mins?

I'm hoping not long, because the other front two know how to waste a chance or six, eh?
Two very fit Matt Dennis's - if you see what I mean - and we'd be mid-table or better.

But winning under pressure, as we did, has to count for something.
Hope Yeovil are licking wounds.

Nice to hear the other fans singing “your nothing special, we lose every week” for a change. They were right we were not special, but we were resolute, hard working and never in danger of conceding. Very reminiscent of the Kings Lynn game, score early, blaze numerous chances over the bar. Even started to go back too deep at times but Weymouth were woeful up front meaning Steve Arnold had an easy afternoon.
The new system of 3 up top, meant we kept Weymouth back and always looked a threat going forward. It also meant Neal & Atkinson had an awful lot of work to do and got overrun and lost possession at times. But they were excellent and run themselves into the ground. Atkinson gets better every week and is getting more adjusted to the pace of the game and still has a good engine. Certainly the right experienced choice to marshall young Neal in midfield. Atkinson must have earned a contract extension until the end of the season. Maher obviously favours him as more reliable with Fergie on the bench and Gard in the stands.
We have now beaten the three teams to get relegated, Dover, Kings Lynn & Weymouth all 3 very poor teams. Good we are now on the rise with plenty of Home Games still to play 14 of the last 24.

Arnold 7
Demetriou 7
Hobson 6
Lopata 7
Ralph 6
Clifford 6
Neal 8
Atkinson 8 MOTM
Dennis 7
Dalby 7
Murphy 6

Rush 5
Ferguson 5

Great 3 points but really should be talking much larger victory. Word on Matt Rush, noticeable how easy he was brushed off the ball compared to Dennis. Think he should build his strength a bit, especially in this league in order to be more effective. UTB

Last edited:
Enjoyable away day, that, although Weymouth would be a much nicer away day in late April when the sun is shining.... Decent car journey too, I was sitting in my living room in Bexleyheath by 7.40pm.

Arrived around 12.45, walked 10 mins in the ****ing rain and wind to the John Gregory for a pre-match pint. Then back to the Bob Lucas, which isn't a bad little ground, for a burger just before kick-off. Sat in the seats in the west stand first half to get a better view of our attacking play, but then migrated down to the away terrace behind Weymouth's goal in the second half for a good old sing-song. Great atmosphere from Blues fans again with non-stop singing, we really have to be amongst the best in the division.

First half was fairly evenly matched and we dealt with the wind in our faces well. A great counter attack saw Matty Dennis bag his third in three. Second half there was only one team in it with the wind behind us and it really should have been 3 or 4.

Kev, Daz and Benno are definitely getting much more of a tune out of these players. There is much more passion, effort, cohesion and game plan and we were very solid and hard-working today. We dominated possession and territory on the second half and showed some really nice passes and movement at times. We are just painfully lacking confidence and quality with the final ball, be that a pass, cross or finish. Against teams like Weymouth, who were woeful, we may well get away with it more often than not but I do worry against the better teams. With that being said, though, this is still vastly better than what was served up earlier in the season and to be fair, this season is about ensuring we finish no lower than 20th position.

Arnold 6 - nothing to do!
Demi 6 - lots of effort and running but concedes possession cheaply and his crossing just isn't good enough.
Clifford 6 - see Demi.
Hobson 7 - didn't really put a foot wrong to be fair.
Łopata 7 - commanding and vocal.
Ralph 6 - solid game although another who gave away possession cheaply a bit too often for my liking.
Atkinson 8 - won't ever regain his pace, but seems to have found his engine again. Absolutely everywhere. A bit slow with ball at feet sometimes in the first half.
Neal 7 - a good debut considering he's only trained with the team twice. Definitely looks to be more of what we need in the middle with his physicality and tackling ability, but needs to work on his passing! Needless booking too, which seems to be a theme with him but hamstrung him somewhat for the rest of the game. He'll only get better I think.
Dennis 7 - frightened the life out of Weymouth with his pace, both with and without the ball, but feel like we didn't use it enough. Good finish again for his goal.
Murphy 6 - frustrating today. Coming too deep, gave the ball away too often, and squandered several gilt-edged opportunities, one in the first half particularly annoying given how brilliant his movement was to get him in the right position.
Dalby 6 - hold-up play was good when the ball was played into his feet but doesn't win enough in the air. Didn't really threaten today and squandered chances.

Subs:
Rush 5 - moved well and made space for himself but rarely threatened where it mattered and gets pushed off the ball too easily.
Ferguson 5 - not really long enough to judge, but fair play for having a pop from distance with his left peg only 30 seconds after coming on which was a whisker away from going in.

Big props to the coaching team today who got the shape and tactics spot-on, and constantly motivated and encouraged from their technical area. They're having a positive effect on a very limited group of players and you can't say fairer than that really. The direction of travel is positive and must be backed-up at home to Yeovil on Tuesday. Let's just make sure we stay up this season and look forward to what I hope will be a big, big turnover of players over the summer.

Last edited:
Really strong performance today. The early goal helped, but the noise was superb and you could really tell it was driving the players on at times. Full credit to the many nutcases in that corrugated iron shack behind the goal.

First half was evenly matched, we scraped a goal on the break, but we didn't deserve to be up at half time. They showed a lot of desire too and were winning a lot of second balls. Second half was total dominance - just worrying we couldn't score more

Arnold 7 - largely a passenger but did pretty well when required
Hobson 7.5 - solid game
Ralph 7 - didn't do much wrong, and some good distribution
Demetriou 7.5 - as above, more threatening on the wing
Lopata 7 - solid and occasionally threatening
Neal 8 - showed fight and intensity with occasional naivety in the final third
Clifford 6.5 - quiet, lost second balls
Atkinson 8 - periods where he had the engine and tenacity of his best spells
Murphy 7 - good link up but had a couple of great chances
Dalby 6 - Some good touches but you never feel like he's going to score.
Dennis 9 - class finisher, great control in the final third, always looked a nuisance.

Rush 5 - looked lightweight and out of depth
Ferguson - only on briefly but bright and powerful

To be honest, I don’t want to see Col U go down. Would rather it be Oldham or Scunny. Or preferably Stevenage. Can’t stand them.

Definitely Stevenage. Along with Oxford they are one of the teams I have an irrational hatred of. And their fans are largely nobs.

Insofar as Col Ewe are concerned, I'd rather they cling on for a few years so we can relegate them upon our eventual return to the Football League. As the previous couple of posters have states, Essex needs a FL team.

Last edited:
a weymouth fan here.wouldnt get too upbeat .we are terrible at the moment and everyone beats us.no one likes our manager.you guys played ok but most teams score loads against us and we had a few chances to score.so i am happy for you guys but most teams in this league are stronger and better than you from what i have seen.obvs not us kings lynn and dover
Yeah. But you've got goodship so we win x

Admittedly, he's short of game time, but is clearly finding it a struggle to go beyond the hour, even though he always puts in a shift.
He's just 19, and I wondered how long it takes a player like that to last the 90 mins?

I'm hoping not long, because the other front two know how to waste a chance or six, eh?
Two very fit Matt Dennis's - if you see what I mean - and we'd be mid-table or better.

I think we shouldn’t overlook the guy runs himself into the ground. He could do 90 mins if he ramped back- but I would prefer the 70 then the 75 then the 80 whilst doing what he is doing

Last edited:
Even first half. Well taken goal after calamitous Weymouth defending. Total dominance second half. Harried them for 90 minutes, won possession back quickly, won the 50/50’s and loose balls. They were rubbish and we were pretty good. I’ve been critical of Demi and Atkinson but both did well today. Hobson who has his critics was fine too. Dennis looked like he should be one of the first names on the team sheet not one who hardly got given a chance until the last few games. Murphys overall play was better today but really should have scored. Dalby plays some neat football one minute but then spoons it 20yards over when well placed the next. New bloke fairly neat and tidy on the ball but not overly pacey. Early days though. Arnold will rarely have an easier day. Confidence growing that relegation will disappear in the rear view mirror in the next few weeks.

He has scored in the last 3 games. So with a game on Tuesday you would have to be a real dumb manger to run him into the ground whilst winning on a Saturday.

Back