• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Yeovil Town

Best performance I've seen from a southend side in years ! Organised,pacey clinical.Every player contributed and we now look like a side who can win matches reguauarly! I've looked at the up coming fixtures and what I've seen tonight I firmly believe we can beat most if not all these teams around us and go on a run!

You're being too kind!

Honestly shocking stuff and how there was not a booking/possible red for an atrocious challenge on Matty Dennis 2nd half I'll never know. Sitting in the East Black I got a perfect view of it and it was dirty.
I have to disagree. I was in the East Blacks as well and thought it was a strong but fair tackle. But it sent Dennis flying and that always makes it look worse. It also completely split everyone around us; some, like you, thought it was horrific and others thought it was fair.

Shame that the best performance for a while was witnessed by a lower crowd.
Hasn't that always been the way for us! I remember back in the late 60's and 70's we'd save our best performances for the lowest crowds, then, when people all came along thinking they'd see something special, the players would get stage fright.

Difficult to pick a MOM as usual, but this time because it was hard to see who played best as opposed to who was least worst! 8 to everyone who started, 9 for Demi. 6 for the subs.

Special mentions - Arnold - what a wonder save in the second half. I know he spilled the shot for the goal but he is the best keeper we have had in years.

Demi - if he can't play 2 games in a week, can he just play the second one? Wow, what was he on? Barely put a foot wrong.

Neal - Welcome and he made Atko look good. Unusual style but gets around all over the pitch.

Dalby - great positional play and seemed more physical than usual.

The ref - Jesus, he had more touches of the ball than our keeper. To his credit he tried to let the game flow, but there were some very strange decisions.

All this counts for little if we lose the Aldershot and Kings Lynn though! It's a big month!

Great performance and at last a team to be proud of and one playing for the badge, manager, club and fans. Couldn’t be prouder after Saturday and tonight. A corner has been turned and still much work to do but this team will not take us down, king Kev won’t allow it.

the team looked jaded the last 15 mins but that’s expected as they’ve put in a real shift last two games. Glad that YEOVIL didn’t start with Reid and Quigley as they looked way more of a threat with them on the pitch. Won’t give marks out of ten, but~

Arnold- made two top draw saves and although at fault for the goal otherwise faultless

back three- as like Saturday solid and composed hardly gave yeovil a look in until they made the subs, but stayed firm

clifford and JD- energetic, crossing much better than Saturday and of course two goals, can’t do much more than that

atkinson and neal- forging a good partnership and non stop running. Hoping atkinsons injury not too bad but Ferguson also did well when he came on at ht albeit less mobile. Gutted to lose brunt but neal is going to become a fans favourite, mom for me

front three- really striking up a great understanding. Dalby and Murphy need a goal or two but the three seem to be gelling really well. Dennis run for the second goal wow. Rush disappointing though, simply too light weight

kensdale did well on debut and did all asked of him

happy days shrimpers, now fir a Daggers revenge mission

let’s get the away end rocking again

Last edited:
First League game since we lost to Aldersh*t and oh my god, what a difference!! I haven't enjoyed a game and performance this much since the early days of Chris Powell's reign.

The new Management have got these players set up as a TEAM. We defended from the front, we attacked from the back and were so solid in the centre middle that this allowed these things to happen.

I loved the way that they have set up so that either Ralph or Hobson can push forward safe in the knowledge that Lopata and Neal will be solid as rocks.

Is it too late for a play off push?? Lol - sadly it is as the way they played tonight then no one in this League will be comfortable playing us. We were so much better than a 2-1 score line and I guess that's the only criticism in that we need to create more clear cut chances with all the possession that we have - especially first half.

Arnold - 7 - Loses a point for the mistake and poor kicking but made two world class saves though one was already offside but he wasn't to know that.

Ralph - 8 - Thought he was superb again tonight and reads the game so well - fullof energy and great timing throughout.

Lopata - 8 - Solid and keeps his position allowing others to be a bit more expressive. A really good player destined for a long career.

Hobson - 7 - Best I have seen him play and looked really solid though some of his headers don't go in the direction that it looks like he is aiming them!

Clifford - 7 - Poor start and didn't initially look comfortable as a wing back, but whatever was said to him at half time worked and he had a great second half.

Demetriou - 9 - He has the enthusiasm and energy of a 21 year old and is an excellent choice for captain. He ran himself in to the ground and set a pace that all others had to match. Please do not class him as a 'has been' like some of the others in the squad. I hope to still see him as first choice RB or RWB next season

Atkinson - 7 - Solid and is ideally suited to this current formation which allows others to be more expressive. I thought he was sure to leave in January but he is proving me wrong - good on him. Hope his substitution isn't the sign of an injury.

Neal - 8 - How old is he?? He plays like a seasoned old pro, solid and reliable with an eye for a pass as well. Glad we have him as he he has helped create a really strong spine in the Team.

Dennis - 8 - Hard to believe that he hasn't been a regular. His pace and strength are terrifying for National League players and he looks full of confidence. Thought he had messed up prior to Cliffords goal as the pass was on earlier - guess he just wanted to make it easier for Clifford though!! Electric, and is teh one player who gets you out of your seat when he gets the ball.

Dalby - 8 - Unlike others, I thought he was immense, he won so much ball and his link up play was excellent. Needs to add more of a goal threat but I thought he had an excellent game and never let the Yeovil defence settle.

Murphy - 7 - Must be hard for him in a front three but gave his all and kept the defence occupied. Hopefully injury wasn't bad and substitution was a precaution.

Subs:

Ferguson - 7 - Did ok, but not as effective as Atkinson, though poses more of a threat when attacking.

Rush - 5 - Should have been chasing lost causes like Dalby does but he didn't. I wouldn't be surprised if he was not retained next season sadly

Kensdale - 6 - Nice to see him make his debut, I expected a bit of Gareth Risbridger, but he was calm and assured and did all that was asked of him.

Thanks Mr Maher, Bentley and Currie for putting a smile back on our faces, not to mention Mr Lawrence, Collymore and Still.

Onwards and upwards!!

Last edited:
Hmmm, not sure... went for 3 headers, didn't make one of them.

Not great for a central defender.
Jesus, on debut and against a physical side putting under pressure, give the guy some slack, maybe heading wise slightly weak, but otherwise positional play was good and stood up to them when run at. To be fair the back three all struggled when Reid and quigley came on

I have to disagree. I was in the East Blacks as well and thought it was a strong but fair tackle. But it sent Dennis flying and that always makes it look worse. It also completely split everyone around us; some, like you, thought it was horrific and others thought it was fair.
Fair enough. Bit of an opinion divider I suppose but it was a rough one whether legal or illegal, certainly got a bit of Dennis in the process.

Hmmm, not sure... went for 3 headers, didn't make one of them.

Not great for a central defender.

I noticed that too….

On a completely separate note, my bizarre spot of the night was watching Stan Collymore in deep conversation with Matt Harrold. Now that’s not a sight I thought I’d ever see.

Really positive performance as others have said.

Neal looked fantastic. Really pleased for JD.

Atmosphere was great. TBV didn’t stop all game. Thought it’s was fantastic that the crowd were singing songs for individuals as well as the team, what a boost that must be while you’re playing, especially for JD, totally deserved

Great to read these reports, sounds like Maher is setting the team up to play in a similar style to Chris Wilder's teams these last couple of games.

There was something about this win tonight which gave me a complete reality check of our situation.

It reminded me of the importance a football club has on an individual and the community, none more important than what tonight’s game represented with MIND and the great effort by Chris and Co raising funds for the charity, seeing and hearing the positive talk between fans and the joy around SZ and fans on Twitter following the game. Certainly a feeling I haven’t felt in a while, but it all clicked this evening of not only our position but the gradual healing and progress we have made as a club since Stan and Kevin came in.. I suppose 3 years of neglect and back to back relegations has that effect..

Currie, Mark and Maher celebrating with the fans, the players rediscovering their ambition and desire to play for the badge, the managerial team and each other..

The support shown by nearly 5,000 this evening and countless away days in magnificent numbers it really is something to be marvelled at.

We have come on a very long way since the dark days of earlier this season and tonight was very refreshing and dare I say it.. enjoyable.

Maybe I’m getting carried away and maybe a bit emotional ? but I think we’ll be alright Shrimpers - our club is definitely healing.

I cannot remember enjoying a game for a long time as much as I just enjoyed that performance.

Back to back wins and 1 defeat in 7 and my God did we play like it tonight. The wing backs absolutely tore them to shreds and the diagonal was always on and we executed it superbly.

It must be great for King Kev, Currie and Bentley to see that the hard work and dedication on the training ground is paying off because we tonight, as we did on Saturday, looked like we knew what our game plan was. Something unfortunately we didn’t see often enough under Brown.

We are still light in attack on the bench - Rush for me just isn’t good enough for this level. We need a striker to come in and I have faith we will deliver that.

Shout out to Arnold for that save. I know he had a clanger after but that save is one of the best you’ll see all season. Even the one in the first half when he was offside was incredible!

Some very winnable games on the horizon and suddenly I’m enjoying watching us play again.

What a time to be alive.
I never worry about Arnold as I did the Ox….was due a clanger and we got away with it….the only thing Tango got right!

Thanks to posters for some excellent reports - just what people like me who can't get to matches any more want.

It's good to see praise for Mr Demetriou and Mr Atkinson who had been written off as being too old by many. To prove that age need not be a barrier, I notice that it was Jamie Vardy's 35th Birthday today.

Thoroughly enjoyed that game from the warmth of the 1906 lounge!

Everyone has pretty much covered things in their reports and comments, but just wanted to add how impressed I was with Demi and with Dennis - two stand out performances.

I think Yeovil were pretty dirty, and definitely seemed to be targeting Rhys Murphy culminating in what I hope isn't going to sideline him for too long.

I thought Will Atkinson was doing ok so was surprised he was subbed at half time - has there been any comment from the Club as to why?

Back