• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

Come out of covid isolation on Friday after catching covid. Completed a very painful half marathon on Sunday at Sikhs in the city.

started the year at Chalkwell PR having not run for 3 months due to ankle fracture....course is fairly boring but its flat !...hoping to push on now as have Brentwood half in March

Have realised that I can't run every day...
Join the club!! During the first lockdown I ran every day for a week, only 5k but I was close to breaking down by day 7. I've learned to just accept what my body is capable of and focus on enjoying my running, however often I can manage. And let's not forget that rest days are an important part of any running regime.

Join the club!! During the first lockdown I ran every day for a week, only 5k but I was close to breaking down by day 7. I've learned to just accept what my body is capable of and focus on enjoying my running, however often I can manage. And let's not forget that rest days are an important part of any running regime.
Generally I only run once a week and do other training on other days which includes some cardio, some strength and some core stability. I also very rarely train at the weekends which means I get at least 2 days off a week.

Last edited:
The advice on the C25k programme is that the days rest after the run is as important to the body as the run itself. I do 3 5ks a week (running indoors as it's so cold). I alternate the runs with Joe Wicks. Just started his 7 days of sweat. I cannot do one of the exercises so swap it for another. One of the common pieces of advice I've read and at my age I've read a lot, don't really want to drop down dead, is listen to your body.

Talking about listening to your body, when the weather is OK I run along the sea front. Usually people overtake me. It's OK some look about half my age and are running at what I see as a ferocious pace. However as I got used to the 5k I noticed that I was catching someone up. I thought just open the throttle a bit and bag my first. Wrong. I felt my knee getting a bit dodgy. Decided to make the right decision and slowed down. Never did catch her ? but at the end of the day it's about your fitness.

Just wondering how flat the course is. I've only done a couple of halfs myself, but I've set myself the challenge of a new PB this year. Might do Chelmsford regardless, and then do Southend in June which is a nice fast/flat course.

Been told Chelmsford not to bad to run first time so fingers crossed, if run pm me and chat before the race

Did 5k in thick mud last night. Really hard work, 4 mins slower than my usual times however this morning I have much fewer aches and pains than usual...

Back