• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Yeovil Town

I thought if the ball hit the ref, play would stop with a drop ball - or is this not applicable to NL?
I got the impression that the ref didn't know how to do drop balls, so he avoided doing them after the first few times. Never known a ref to get in the way so much either.

Superb team performance last night from back to front everyone put one hell of a shift in.

A special mention for Tom Clifford who for me was man of the match last night there was 2 or 3 top class tackles he put in in front of us in the east stand but his work going forward was top drawer as well.

Another mention for Harrison Neal this lad looks like his been playing senior football for years so composed and keeps the ball moving really well.

UTB!!

We played well last night and pretty much bossed the match. Yeovil had a couple of chances but I never felt they would get anything from the match.

That said, I wish we hadn't let a goal in at the end as it did make which should have been a routine end to the match a bit worrying. When was the last time we won by more than one goal? Was it Dover?

(For clarity, I'm not complaining as it wasn't that long ago that we couldn't buy a win.)

Thoroughly enjoyed that game from the warmth of the 1906 lounge!

Everyone has pretty much covered things in their reports and comments, but just wanted to add how impressed I was with Demi and with Dennis - two stand out performances.

I think Yeovil were pretty dirty, and definitely seemed to be targeting Rhys Murphy culminating in what I hope isn't going to sideline him for too long.

I thought Will Atkinson was doing ok so was surprised he was subbed at half time - has there been any comment from the Club as to why?

"Twinge"

Felt halfway through the first half, could have come off when we scored, taken off at HT as precaution.

Another big result and a decent little run extended. I'm trying very hard not to get carried away but it's bloody nice not getting smashed week in week out, I'm praying that doesn't change any time soon. Credit goes to Maher, Currie & Bentley IMO.

Great team performance - confidence really works wonders plus players knowing their roles and what's expected when they cross the white line. Great seeing Clifford back and on the scoresheet, seeing Dennis develop, seeing Demi once again prove the doubters wrong with a fine display. The young lad Neal seems to be exactly what's needed in this division. Energy, tackling ability, doing the basics very well.

Things seem to be moving in the right direction. The next 3 league games will really determine how the rest of the season will pan out. All winnable against teams in our mini-league. Be nice to really pull clear of that bottom 3 and send a statement of intent to the rest of the NL. Early signs are good that Kev, Benno and Darren are getting the right messages to the team and coaching is paying off. Pride is returning.

Some might say hold your horses but this is the most positive I've felt for over 3 years.

Last edited:
Fantastic result and important win.

Next run of fixtures could hopefully see some real daylight between us and the relegation places, possibly even looking up to mid table so onwards and upwards!

We now appear to have what it takes-after 2 consecutive wins-to escape the relegation dogfight.The question now is without further new signings this season,do we have what it takes to claim a play off place? I doubt it somehow but we'll see I suppose.January is certainly going to be the month when we have a chance to put some daylight betweeen us and our fellow relegation fighters.

Meanwhile Sat.away at the Daggers offers a chance to KM to show how far his team has come since that awful 0-3 defeat in his first match in charge.

Looks an awful lot fitter to me, which is making a world of difference. Would be surprised if he's not here until the end of the season.
He didn't look any fitter to me, he just looked a like he was playing better. He wasn't the only one either. Perhaps the change of management team have taken the pressure off the players and have given them a blueprint that they understand/enjoy playing?

Who knows.

Lost count how many times the ref got in the way
The first time Murphy (I think) played the ball against him but he gave Yeovil the drop ball.
The second time Yeovil hit him but we just played on.
The third time he gave us the drop ball correctly IIRC.

I'd love to know what the law is on that because he seemed to be inconsistent.

We now appear to have what it takes-after 2 consecutive wins-to escape the relegation dogfight.The question now is without further new signings this season,do we have what it takes to claim a play off place?
Play offs chat is ridiculous.

This league isn't League 2 where 1.5 points per game might sneak you into the play-offs in 7th. The top 8 sides are all going at marginally less than 2 points per game and there's only 7 spots. There is great discrepancy between the top sides and the bottom, with a decent gap between the top sides and the middling ones too.

We're looking at 74+ points being needed. That's 52 points for us from 23 games.

We need to look at being clear of relegation ASAP so we can continue the planning for next season. A mid-table finish and another 35-40 points from here would show great signs for the future.

KM got the team selection right, he gambled with youth and agility at the back, and Yeovil guessed he would change things from weekend and Kev could have put Josh Coulson in to match up against Reid or Quigley. But Yeovil also went for faster types and our backs won that battle. Good chess moves Kev!
IMO the idea was pre determined to make half time sub of Fergie for Willo.
The injury to Murphy kept MD on the pitch for longer than expected.
The "only" 5 bench places is a chancy selection, Walsh on call might, with hindsight, have been a good replacement.

Play offs chat is ridiculous.

This league isn't League 2 where 1.5 points per game might sneak you into the play-offs in 7th. The top 8 sides are all going at marginally less than 2 points per game and there's only 7 spots. There is great discrepancy between the top sides and the bottom, with a decent gap between the top sides and the middling ones too.

We're looking at 74+ points being needed. That's 52 points for us from 23 games.

We need to look at being clear of relegation ASAP so we can continue the planning for next season. A mid-table finish and another 35-40 points from here would show great signs for the future.
On the flip side, 40 points may well be enough to stay up.

KM got the team selection right, he gambled with youth and agility at the back, and Yeovil guessed he would change things from weekend and Kev could have put Josh Coulson in to match up against Reid or Quigley. But Yeovil also went for faster types and our backs won that battle. Good chess moves Kev!
IMO the idea was pre determined to make half time sub of Fergie for Willo.
The injury to Murphy kept MD on the pitch for longer than expected.
The "only" 5 bench places is a chancy selection, Walsh on call might, with hindsight, have been a good replacement.
I'm interested to know who you speak to at Yeovil to know what their thinking was?

Good result to back up the win from Saturday. First half was at times sensational. So many improvements evident in shape, patterns of play etc.
Couple of issues still need addressing imo.
Need a centre midfielder, Atkinson and ferguson can not be the answer in there.
Need another forward as unfortunately Rush ain't it.
Loving the confidence from the lads, especially Dennis.

Back