• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Yeovil Town

We now have in place a management team that bleeds BLUE blood and that includes Mr Currie and Still , The players can see this also ,im sure they will leave no stone unturned to bring back the glory days of this club ,to instill pride into the players also.We i truly believe have turned the corner and are definitely on the right path. Im very excited to see what next season offers us ,yes im looking ahead as im sure Kev and co are also,This season was all about getting a system and etc in place and avoiding relegation, i really cannot see us being relegated unless something absolutely catastophobic occurs, and at seasons end we will see exactly what SVC has promised , Exciting times ahead for us im sure and packed stands at RH next season .Southend truly has such good support.

We now have in place a management team that bleeds BLUE blood and that includes Mr Currie and Still , The players can see this also ,im sure they will leave no stone unturned to bring back the glory days of this club ,to instill pride into the players also.We i truly believe have turned the corner and are definitely on the right path. Im very excited to see what next season offers us ,yes im looking ahead as im sure Kev and co are also,This season was all about getting a system and etc in place and avoiding relegation, i really cannot see us being relegated unless something absolutely catastophobic occurs, and at seasons end we will see exactly what SVC has promised , Exciting times ahead for us im sure and packed stands at RH next season .Southend truly has such good support.

The hardest thing to achieve in life is trying to recapture something you never had.

Mid table and a chance for a trip to Wembley would give us a nice 5 months of fun

No cats were put down!!!

That was great. I really enjoyed that. Proper football team playing proper tactics.

I've banged on that the club can't take supporters for granted, and if we don't get some form of value for money you can't expect us just to turn up next week. There has been no joy in that place for years (bar seeing your mates in the middle of the Covid madness last Xmas).

For the first time since the Powell era, I am looking forward to going to Roots Hall for the next match. :)

We played well last night and pretty much bossed the match. Yeovil had a couple of chances but I never felt they would get anything from the match.

That said, I wish we hadn't let a goal in at the end as it did make which should have been a routine end to the match a bit worrying. When was the last time we won by more than one goal? Was it Dover?

(For clarity, I'm not complaining as it wasn't that long ago that we couldn't buy a win.)
In answer to my own question, Dover was the last time we won by more than one goal. In fact, in the league we've only managed to win by more than one goal twice in the last 12 months, the other time being at FGR.

That's pretty ****, and shows how **** we've been over that period.

I cannot remember enjoying a performance like that in such a long time.

And what topped it off, was Maher’s words on BBC Essex on my drive home.

For years, we’ve witnessed passive performances, were we wouldn’t lay a glove on the opposition, and Roots Hall was an “easy” ground to visit for away sides. Tuesday was the complete opposite. We were on the front foot, we were aggressive, we pressed and never let Yeovil settle into any kind of rhythm. Genuinely, a 2-0 win to us would have flattered Yeovil.

We have a clear style of play, and a willingness to be on the front foot and impose our style onto opposition sides as opposed to having a game plan to stifle the opposition. Every time a midfielder, or a defender picked up the ball, the out ball was to Demi or Clifford. We looked to get the ball wide at every opportunity, and looked to get men in and around the opposition penalty box.

Arnold will be disappointed with the goal he conceded, it was a routine gather from the shot, and he fumbled it. However, his save before hand was absolutely sensational, and his save from their offside effort was exceptional too.

The back three dealt with most things. Changed a bit once their brought Quigley & Reid on, but they battled gamely. I’m not a fan of Hobson, but thought he played well, along with Ralph and Lopata showed why he was more important to extend his deal than Brunt.

The wing backs were excellent. Demi was my man of the match, and after reading peoples annoyance about him cutting onto his left foot, it did make me chuckle that that is how we opened the scoring. Clifford was a threat throughout too.

Neal is superb. He showed exactly what I said about him when he signed. He is two players in there, and it showed more when Ferguson came on as opposed to Atkinson. I was worried when Ferguson came on, as he is completely different to Atkinson. Playing a two in the middle, you can’t carry passengers, and at times Ferguson is one. However, it’s like having three in there when Neal is one of them.

The front three ran themselves into the ground. I felt the game completely changed when Murphy went off, and that was a horrible challenge on him. I think his press is integral to the way we play, and Rush just didn’t offer much when he came on.

I’ve always maintained we need another forward, even more so when we are playing our main three from the off. Rush isn’t the answer at the moment. It’s difficult to get in a fourth choice forward, but we need another option from the bench.

It was so nice to come away from the ground having witnessed a performance like that, and I’m not even talking about the win. If we’d lost that, or drawn it, I’d have been over the moon with the performance. We crept back into our shells once they got their goal, and I think their extra height put the wind up us, but we dealt with the majority of what they threw at us well.

Seven clear of the drop, and it’s a shame we aren’t playing a league match this weekend.

Hoping Murphy & Atkinson aren’t as bad as feared, but on the whole a very, very positive evening.

The wing backs were excellent. Demi was my man of the match, and after reading peoples annoyance about him cutting onto his left foot, it did make me chuckle that that is how we opened the scoring.

Very good post and I agree with you BUT Demi's goal was a lucky one, not that it matters, I don't care how they go in but we can't pretend Demi is all of a sudden amazing.

It doesn't even matter because we're in a good bit of form and hopefully it continues, I just don't like it when people are saying 'told you so' when I've seen Demi be a pile of dog poo for years. Very much like when Oxley made 1 good save after fumbling 218 others, you'd get all the Oxley lovers getting a hard on, just makes me cringe.

Very good post and I agree with you BUT Demi's goal was a lucky one, not that it matters, I don't care how they go in but we can't pretend Demi is all of a sudden amazing.

It doesn't even matter because we're in a good bit of form and hopefully it continues, I just don't like it when people are saying 'told you so' when I've seen Demi be a pile of dog poo for years. Very much like when Oxley made 1 good save after fumbling 218 others, you'd get all the Oxley lovers getting a hard on, just makes me cringe.

Of course his goal had an element of luck, but if you don’t buy a ticket you don’t win the lottery. He deserved his bit of luck with his performance.

Think you’ve read far too much into my post.

I felt Demi was excellent Tuesday night. However, he is someone whose deal I wouldn’t have renewed in the summer, and I wouldn’t be renewing it this summer, but I felt he was excellent. Maybe it’s the increased competition with Davies in the building, maybe it was a fluke, or maybe he is one of the ones who has really suffered with a lack of confidence.

Maher, on more than one occasion, has mentioned that Demi has been excellent since he (Kev) has arrived at the Club. Long May it continue.

No need to cringe, or get a hard on…

The hardest thing to achieve in life is trying to recapture something you never had.

Mid table and a chance for a trip to Wembley would give us a nice 5 months of fun
I disagree with the thinking behind the first statement to be honest. Glory doesn’t mean winning the champions league for a club like Southend, it means reaching the highest heights you can / ever have. Our ‘halcyon days’ were in the championship and I’m pretty sure we all as fans enjoyed those days. They were our ‘glory days’ and regaining that level is not beyond the scope of Southend United if it is well run for a few years.

In the NL the more shots you have on target the more luck you get. The move and pace for that goal created enough space for it to be deflected rather than blocked....Many times in the last few seasons we have all sat there thinking or screaming shoot and the player has an extra touch or a needless poor pass.

Same for Yeovil, had the room and he hit low. Worth watching again and keeping your eye on Rueben Reid. His timing for the follow up was A1.

Back