• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TV Highlights Southend Utd 2-1 Yeovil Town FC

A good win, but how comes we allowed them to put us under the cosh at the end?
Fatigue?
That slight hangover lack of confidence thing after they scored?

Those Yeovil players appealing for Clifford's offside, when he come from at least 10 metres behind the ball to tap in, made me laugh!

Fatigue?
One of those things I think. Despite what we saw on Tuesday, confidence won't have maxed out overnight. So there will probably still be elements of game management that will hopefully improve with confidence if we can string some more wins together.

I wouldn't rule out fatigue though. I loved the way we played with a press, but it is undeniably exhausting and intense. Will take a while for underlying fitness to reach the required levels. Murphy and Dennis went off too and they were two of the more impressive pressing outlets, so the press fell off a bit and we weren't as high up the pitch anymore which naturally invites pressure.

Fatigue?

Those Yeovil players appealing for Clifford's offside, when he come from at least 10 metres behind the ball to tap in, made me laugh!

Shock horror. Team who are a goal behind have a go in injury time. The good news is they didn't score because like the previous two games we defended with pride and intent.....Absolutely essential if you don't want to be relegated at any level of football.

Not helped when Ferguson tried to have a selfish touch instead of an Atkinson style no nonsense clearance. Not on the club highlights but shown on the Shrimper TV ones. Caused us abut 3 minutes of pressure.

Also on shows a good view of Clifford's efforts. He covers more ground that Aqcuah or Goodship ever did to score that goal. Combined with Murphy and Demi recreating the 4th Brazil goal 1970 WC it was a good night for fullbacks finding space.

Fatigue?

Simply put, the team ran out of gas! As stated above, the main pressers in the front line (Dennis and Murphy) had gone off, and without this turning into an anti-Ferguson post, replacing Atkinson with him meant the midfield didn't have as much energy and running as before.

Fitness levels have gone up but they probably haven't gone up as much as the Three Amigos want them to, but Rome wasn't built in a day. New signings I'm sure will help.

Reactions: GDM
Shock horror. Team who are a goal behind have a go in injury time. The good news is they didn't score because like the previous two games we defended with pride and intent.....Absolutely essential if you don't want to be relegated at any level of football.

Not helped when Ferguson tried to have a selfish touch instead of an Atkinson style no nonsense clearance. Not on the club highlights but shown on the Shrimper TV ones. Caused us abut 3 minutes of pressure.

Also on shows a good view of Clifford's efforts. He covers more ground that Aqcuah or Goodship ever did to score that goal. Combined with Murphy and Demi recreating the 4th Brazil goal 1970 WC it was a good night for fullbacks finding space.
Agree about Clifford, and the effect of losing the front two.
But, remember Yeovil were down to 10 when they scored.
In fact, they had been for quite a few minutes.
Can't help but think we should have passed the ball around, back and forth, knowing there was an extra man to receive.
I think rabbit in the headlights came to mind after their goal, especially as it was an uncharacteristic mistake from Arnold.

Agree about Clifford, and the effect of losing the front two.
But, remember Yeovil were down to 10 when they scored.
In fact, they had been for quite a few minutes.
Can't help but think we should have passed the ball around, back and forth, knowing there was an extra man to receive.
I think rabbit in the headlights came to mind after their goal, especially as it was an uncharacteristic mistake from Arnold.

They went down to 10 men at the restart of the game after they scored. Whilst they celebrated and headed back to restart the game, their fella walked off.

They went down to 10 men at the restart of the game after they scored. Whilst they celebrated and headed back to restart the game, their fella walked off.
Thanks for the clarification.
Still surprising we didn't see out the added time more comfortably.

Back