• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Planning Updates- All The Latest Details. 28/03/2022

So this is huge news isn't it that SOS isn't calling in the plans. I'm not clear on whats still to be done though before works can start. I know it says there's still some legal matters but what are they?

This is pretty good news for Ron isn't it?

It's old news - reported on here last week

I've read the article. Absolutely none of this is news to us.

We knew the SoS hadn't called it in two weeks ago, revealed on this forum thanks to the work of MattE.

The stadium element has full planning permission, but some of the development such as parts of the residential is outline and any outline permissions have been accepted in principle, they just need full applications which should be relatively straightforward.

As I understand it, the temporary training ground is already going through the planning system and that is what needs to be built before anything else starts because Boots & Laces needs to be demolished for access.

The legal agreement is already in draft form and probably shouldn't take too long to complete.

The funding for the 4th side is the only part that is not clear. Given that it is the side that will make the money, the club will be pulling all the stops on that.

I'll give it a go, the possibility is still there for a hotel to be part of the stadium, if by the time building starts it looks like it won't happen its a whole lot easier to put pressure on the council to allow some housing to be incorporated within it.

There is also the corporate and suites side of it, the club needs that to survive and whoever owns the club at that time will find it a lot easier to get funding for a stand that brings in income than one that doesn't.

Just on the suites / events side, last week I went on a training course for work at Rotherhams new York stadium, it turns out they rent out the rooms for training quite a lot during the week which brings in a decent chunk of change. Also they now hate Ladapo
Why re: Ladapo? ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Has this part been clarified anywhere?

Or can roots hall be crushed when we have 3 stands and a portaloo?
I suspect it's 3 stands otherwise, from the developers point of view, there'd be no point delaying the 4th stand

do i think Ron will be around to see the 4th stand NO .Once the ground is built .He will be of .And someone eles will get the job of finishing the grounds 4th stand .

Impossible. Unless you want to play on a building site.

Fulham have quite happily built a huge new main stand whilst still playing as have others in the past.

I think we will end up with 3 sides initially with a fourth being added in the close of season.

Obviously, like all blues fans, I genuinely hope that we manage to get it built in one go and can move away from Ron's onwership as soon as possible.

Does anyone else expect Ron to sell up once planning is signed off?

Not sure I expect it - after all he's had planning permission before and he's still here. I would expect him to continue at least until the stadium construction is underway, but if sold up before hand I wouldn't be massively surprised.

From what has been said the plans have be passed by the sos .So now it has to go its final hurdle with the council regarding exchange of contracts .Which i been lead to beleve is a mere formality .Once the stadium has been built Ron has said his work has been done and he will stand down .So hurry up a build it so we can get rid of him and move on .

The phasing in the application is very clear. Once the u-shaped 3-sided stadium is complete, we will move to the new stadium and Roots Hall will be demolished. Construction will begin on the fourth side once the other three sides are finished.

The reasons for this are not as clear but we know it's due to funding, as the whole development is phased. So potentially, the demolition of Roots Hall will enable the building of more homes on that site, unlocking the funding required to build the fourth side.

Don't forget it is not just Ron involved in this. It's the council and some pretty hefty backers. The phasing of the application is to be expected due to its size and its nature (x needs to be demolished before y is built, etc).

I think people are very cynical about the main stand and who can blame them, but there really is absolutely no benefit to anyone in not building that fourth side (don't forget it has some 150 units of residential built into it and nobody wants to spite the fans enough to miss out on the millions of pounds to be made from that).

Not sure I expect it - after all he's had planning permission before and he's still here. I would expect him to continue at least until the stadium construction is underway, but if sold up before hand I wouldn't be massively surprised.
Technically we don't have planning permission until the legal agreements are complete.

Technically we don't have planning permission until the legal agreements are complete.
Do you or anybody else know exactly at what stage we are atm time wise for example, are there meetings arranged or dates to meet with the councils to go over the final details?

Last edited:
The phasing in the application is very clear. Once the u-shaped 3-sided stadium is complete, we will move to the new stadium and Roots Hall will be demolished. Construction will begin on the fourth side once the other three sides are finished.

The reasons for this are not as clear but we know it's due to funding, as the whole development is phased. So potentially, the demolition of Roots Hall will enable the building of more homes on that site, unlocking the funding required to build the fourth side.

Don't forget it is not just Ron involved in this. It's the council and some pretty hefty backers. The phasing of the application is to be expected due to its size and its nature (x needs to be demolished before y is built, etc).

I think people are very cynical about the main stand and who can blame them, but there really is absolutely no benefit to anyone in not building that fourth side (don't forget it has some 150 units of residential built into it and nobody wants to spite the fans enough to miss out on the millions of pounds to be made from that).
Indeed- not forgetting the funding from Homes England is for the three sides only. I think because whilst they would fund something 100% for enabling the football club to move as a enabling project, the fourth side had a hotel as an integral part of it, and was outside of the scope of the primary enabling objective )i.e. the club didn't need a hotel to move).

Last edited:

yes - but my point was we've had full planning permission granted before - and Ron didn't sell then.

Back