• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Aldershot Town 1-1 Southend United

I thought Neal was the biggest crab I have seen in a blues shirt since Kev played.
Never once went forward and wouldn’t care if he ever played for us again. Was a magnet for the ball and constantly played it 10 yards sideways and backwards. Brunt made things happen, this bloke is a negative Atkinson type player that massively contributed to a horrible game to watch….send him back and give someone else a go!

First time witnessing Neal live and if that is deemed his worse performance, then my god I cannot wait to witness a good performance.

My thoughts for what they are worth.

Firstly, would have taken a point before the game, always felt this was the tricky one in the run of games we have. To get a point in that fashion made it all the more enjoyable.

Minor negative but I actually thought not going forward and driving into space was something a number were guilty of, particularly early in second half when it was clearly obvious they were going to sit with a minimum 9 players behind the ball. There were times when the back 3 all had good space in front of them to carry the ball a further 5/10 yards. When that did happen and Ralph/Hobson joined the attack we carved out opportunity chances. I say opportunity chances as there is clearly work to be done on final ball - I'd like to think Clifford is staying back after training to hit 100 crosses with the main objective of beating first man!

Initial review on phone call to distant brother was disappointment in Dalby but with immediate reflection, it wasn't an easy night for either forward when marked by 5 players most of the time, something Kev mentioned in the post match interview I later read.

All things considered, all positive from me. Yes some minor complaints but what a luxurious position to be in moaning about details having taken the 11th point in last 5 league games. First live game for a while and noticeable difference on the terrace, the optimism was infectious and can't wait to watch a Southend side play that brand of football more and more.

Nice to meet @TrueBlue as well!

Man of the match was between Hobson, Neal, Davies and Ralph. They were all quality.

Dalby was shocking.
Interesting you think Ralph was MOM contender.
I guess he made up for ball watching at their goal with an otherwise decent display.
He was nowhere to be seen for the KL goal on Friday either.
Have another look at the way he jogs back into the box when the ball is slung out wide to the KL crosser.
He's better going forward than he is a defender.

I'm a bit confused by people saying "Neal has been great in the past few games, criticism is unfair". This thread is about last night's game, and whilst I agree he has been great in previous games, I don't think he hit the standard set by himself last night.

We all have different views on what we like from players. It's clear that there are very mixed views on Neal last night, but that's fine, right?

Don't hate him, just said last night he only wanted to go one way....not great when so does Atkinson. Declan Rice was similar, now they have told him to drive forward he is a much improved player. Didn't know you couldn't form an opinion on this rapidly declining goody two shoes forum?

Wiggy, for nearly two decades you’ve had nothing but strong opinions on this forum. I’ve even defended you and your opinions in the past.

Don’t make this about the forum, when in reality it’s people not agreeing with you, that you don’t like.

Did you go last night?
We sat with a perfect view of Neal and the people in front, behind and to the left and right groaned every time Neal got the ball. Not once did he do anything positive with it.
Any of those from your list could have played his game but slightly more forward thinking. If Maher insists on playing Atkinson then he needs to find an attacking midfielder to create something…..Neal is not the answer going by last nights very negative contribution!
What would count as positive: passing to a player in more space? Shooting?

Most importantly, we miss Dennis, his runs are what have been opening teams up the past weeks and last night we looked toothless, no real ability to turn sides around and get them running back to their own goal defending.
What we missed was Dennis’ pace. Pace pushes back defenders and helps create space.

Little bit of rust around the arches. Unfortunately it’s a common problem with Beamers.
I now hate Timmy now as I immediately despise all Beamer related persons, force of habit.

Never served me wrong thus far…

One retained possession by going sideways and backwards when there were much better options in front of him, had he looked.

Husin lost possession occasionally by running at the opposition and trying to make something happen.

I also think Neal's off the ball play was poor, and he refused to get involved in any positive play - maybe that's what he was asked to do, but it didn't work from what I saw.

Perhaps Neal wasn't a 2/10 - as you're right, he did keep possession, but he also struggled to get tackles in (something I actually think he's done very well in previous games).

Personally I rate positive play higher than simply repeating the same negative balls over and over, but that's what's great about football... we all value different things differently.
But my point still stands. You've rated someone higher because he lost the ball rather than someone who looked to retain and recycle. Thanks for clearing that up

Your opinion of positive play is obviously very different from mine but that's a matter of opinion. I'd rather we did less defending by keeping the ball

But my point still stands. You've rated someone higher because he lost the ball rather than someone who looked to retain and recycle. Thanks for clearing that up
If "recycling" is passing to the nearest player behind you at every occasion, then yes you're right, I have. There were numerous times when a better option was available in front of him but he wouldn't have known, as his first thought whenever receiving the ball is to turn back towards our goal.

For what it's worth, I would still like to see Husin and Neal in the same side as I think they offer the complete opposite from one another - but when going for a win, playing Neal next to Atkinson seems too defensive to me, and you're right - we end up playing high possession football in our own half without ever looking like scoring, which is what happened last night.

If "recycling" is passing to the nearest player behind you at every occasion, then yes you're right, I have. There were numerous times when a better option was available in front of him but he wouldn't have known, as his first thought whenever receiving the ball is to turn back towards our goal.

For what it's worth, I would still like to see Husin and Neal in the same side as I think they offer the complete opposite from one another - but when going for a win, playing Neal next to Atkinson seems too defensive to me, and you're right - we end up playing high possession football in our own half without ever looking like scoring, which is what happened last night.
We scored last night.

So let me get this right. If you pin the opposition in their own half for 85% of the game but the final cross/shot/header/set piece delivery etc is not good enough.....You blame people who win the ball and create the 85% figure in the first place.

A couple of years back Doncaster put 7 past us with far less balls in the box than we attempted last night. Worth remembering that if you took Dennis out of the Kings Lynn game our final ball was also nowhere near good enough.

There has been some great improvements but from the first friendly last summer we have not made any oppo keeper MOM......You could actually say the last 4 seasons.

Over the past four seasons, in the CM position we have been treated to:

Sam Mantom
Tim Dieng
Ricky Holmes
Luke Hyam
Rob Kiernan
Mark Milligan
Alan McCormack

Having the likes of Brunt and Neal has been a much welcome - and needed - change.

Which, if any, of those would you prefer to see BACK in CM, in place of Neal?
I can see Brunt playing at Championship level or higher, Neal League One or higher.
From your list :
Kiernan was a central defender, Hyam always injured, Mantom greatly under appreciated by some on here, Dieng is banging in the goals at the top of League 2. The other 3 had to be brought in by poor,money-starved MM but were clearly past it.

If playing Neal next to Atkinson is too negative I’d respectfully suggest the issue is Atkinson and not Neal.

Don't hate him, just said last night he only wanted to go one way....not great when so does Atkinson. Declan Rice was similar, now they have told him to drive forward he is a much improved player. Didn't know you couldn't form an opinion on this rapidly declining goody two shoes forum?
You want to send him back based on last nights performance from him?

That's a very naive view

Last edited:
Fair enough comments I guess. Rather over the top of him to say we are "a very, very good team" but appreciated. I hope he gets some strikers in or he'll be forced to carry on with a boring park the bus style of play. Glad I don't have to watch or listen to that every week.

Back