• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I remember watching the 4th round tie v Cardiff at the Hall and at 1-1 in injury time we had an attack, our last chance. I can't remember how, but we didn't score and the ball went out for a corner. That was that then.

I said to my mate, "I think we can safely say we are out of the FA Cup."

The corner came in, straight towards the Cardiff keeper for an easy catch. No serious blue challenge. Groan.

Then the groans turned to cheers as the Cardiff keeper, inexplicably and under no pressure, dropped the ball.

Stuart Parker, standing alongside, poked out a foot and prodded the ball home.

Cue scenes and a 5th round tie at the Baseball Ground.

Last edited:
Stuart Parker, standing alongside, poked out a foot and prodded the ball home.

Cue scenes and a 5th round tie at the Baseball Ground.

fbm one of the memories I have at the end of that match, and I may be wrong, is that a load of us stayed behind in the stands until well after the final whistle as the draw for round five was being relayed over the tannoy - do you recall that?

fbm one of the memories I have at the end of that match, and I may be wrong, is that a load of us stayed behind in the stands until well after the final whistle as the draw for round five was being relayed over the tannoy - do you recall that?

Yep - I remember it well….we’d had 4 home ties on the trot - we weren’t going to get a fifth.

No, I must admit I don't. My mate's dad took us down and I think we would have had to have left sharpish. I think it was the first time I'd sat in the East stand and I remember being surprised that the view of the game wasn't blighted by pillars a la the West stand.

Got something quite good lined up I think for the Fri night game v Grimsby on Feb 18th, our SUEPA event will be a 1975/76 FA Cup run special.

Would love it if you could post up here your memories of that run, whether it was re any of the home games v Swansea, Dover (how ironic!), Brighton and Cardiff, or maybe that trip oop north to Derby in the fifth round. I'll then put them together and make them available to our guests that eve who will be Dave Worthington, Andy Ford and Kenny Foggo. It's decades since any of them have been back to their Roots.

Dave you might recall was unable to play in the Derby match but turned up on the pitch 'Malcolm Allison style' in a Fedora, I've asked him if he's still got it! Andy and Kenny played in all five of the games, Kenny taking over as captain for the Derby match.

I may also see if I can get one or two more surprise guests to pop in as well who live more locally than the three above. For some it will be 46 years since they've met each other.

Our guests will be in the Legends Lounge but we will aim to introduce them to as many as possible and on the pitch too just before kick-off.

So, for those of you of a certain vintage, please share your memories of that trip, over to you ..................

View attachment 18656
My late wife took a pic pre game of Dave Worthington coming over to our fans, wearing a brown suit & his fedora hat. If you want, i'll try & find it & send it to you.
No idea how to do that on here, but can always do it via facebook?.

My late wife took a pic pre game of Dave Worthington coming over to our fans, wearing a brown suit & his fedora hat. If you want, i'll try & find it & send it to you.
No idea how to do that on here, but can always do it via facebook?.

It is easy, just copy and paste straight into a post, or simply drag the photo into a post, taking care where you post it (its position if you have already typed something).

It is easy, just copy and paste straight into a post, or simply drag the photo into a post, taking care where you post it (its position if you have already typed something).
I've found 3 pics, one of which is Dave wearing the Fedora. It's about 90% in focus, but after i'd re-took them with my camera, they have come out worse!.
Quite honestly, if anyone on here want's to call round ( i live in Leigh, near Thames Drive ) the site is more than welcome to have them.

Got something quite good lined up I think for the Fri night game v Grimsby on Feb 18th, our SUEPA event will be a 1975/76 FA Cup run special.

Would love it if you could post up here your memories of that run, whether it was re any of the home games v Swansea, Dover (how ironic!), Brighton and Cardiff,
Brighton.jpg
3rd rd F.A Cup v Brighton, Jan 76 pre game on N.W terrace.
Some well known faces there, alas 2 of them no longer with us.
R.I.P. Oz & 'Tricky Dicky'.

Both the third round tie against Brighton and the fourth round against Cardiff kicked off at 3.15 which is why everyone waited for the fifth round draw that must have been early in the 5 o'clock Sports Report.

18 year old goalkeeper Sean Rafter came in in the third round tie for only his second first team appearance having made his debut against Halifax in a 4-1 win in October.

Stuart Brace, Ken Foggo, Andy Ford, Alan Little, Alan Moody, Terry Nichol, Stuart Parker and Peter Sylvester played in all 5 ties. Neil Townsend, Malcolm Webster and Dave Worthington 4 and Steve Dyer, Tony Hadley and Sean Rafter just the 1.

Alan Little, Terry Nichol and Dave Worthington all had more famous brothers, Brian, Chris and Frank.

We were robbed in the Derby game - I can't remember who had the goal disallowed. I can remember Bruce Rioch kicking everything that moved - he would have been sent off these days.

Ray Tinkler was the ref - never one of my favourites.

I sat opposite the main stand ( The Ley Stand?). The seats we got were in pairs scattered around the stand rather than a block to ourselves.

The extra bit of spice in the Cardiff game was that ex Tottenham and Wales centre half Mike England was playing for them. He left Tottenham at the end of the 74/75 season and had almost signed for us as player/ Assistant Manager. It went on for ages until Cardiff came in and signed him taking him back to Wales. So he got a bit of stick after the game but said he would have the last laugh as they would get promoted -and they did, We of course somehow contrived to get relegated.

Is that Facey in the middle? Whatever happened to him? @Billy Bests boot laces
It certainly is!. We used to call him 'Roller', because of likeness to The Bay City Rollers back then!.
Last saw him at Carl Connors funeral Dec 17 ( FFS where does the time go? ). Like most of us, his piled on a few lb's since those wayward days in the 70's!.
I believe he lives within the vicinity of the Morrison's store in Eastwood?.

Back