• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First football kit I ever bought as a young lad. 1969/70.
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Southend_United/images/southend_united_1969-1970.gif
southendutd69-7052-836805.png

Some of the younger fans think I am winding them up when I tell them we played in Blue and White stripes.
15128403.jpg
I remember a season when we played in All White kit and were called ‘The Lilleywhites’ Horrible I for one was glad when we got back into Blue.

AustScullyPriorPowell said:
Just a bit too young and missed out on seeing the old south stand, looked massive, be interesting to see what we would have done with that after the Taylor report if Jobson decided to keep it!!

With the West standing (which I remember) bet Roots Hall looked massive where the South and West were linked

Btw, what was that caravan about at the back of the old South stand ?

They used to sell programmes from there and you could book away trips on the coaches IIRC.

Sat 21st Feb 1987. The lads arriving at Rochdale. Ginger Lee prominent. Then Richard Cadette after scoring one of his two goals that day. We won 2-1 in our promotion season by finishing 3rd in Division 4. Richard Cadette scored an incredible 31 goals that season.
1443100500_91823c04e9_o.jpg
1442235731_1d38f4819d_o-300x198.jpg
I’ll see your Rochdale and raise you a Stockport away-day Friday 8th May 1987. What a day that was. Decent video especially considering the era. Worth watching the interview at the end as well.

Massive football game in the park. Don’t go Richard chants in the car park afterwards. I was living in Rye House at the time so had to ask coach driver to drop me off at the A10 junction of M25. I’d run out of money by then. Fairly long walk home in the early hours but it was at least a Saturday.

Only just realised looking at the video. Colin Murphy was their manager at the time.

Portsmouth v Southend 2013.
1-0 Down, and a man sent off. It's not looking good.

Barry Corr! Sets up the first.Wins a towering header from the goal kick to start the move for the second. Gets into the box and heads the winner.

Bournemouth V Southend, 2008. How the fortunes have changed. Bournemouth were heavily in debt and heading for administration. Gower takes his worst ever penalty. But we were still too good for The Cherries.

Wow, that penalty, but some well taken goals! Was there on the day, always liked a trip to Bournemouth, and as you say, how things have changed, though a Kevin Bond side getting a hammering didn't!

How Southend fans there that day ? said on the film that alot of Southend fans was there but on the footage doesn't look that many.
Its was Friday Night away game I was there. The Supporters coaches arrived around 4pm. Southend United fans packed out the pubs in town and even played a game of football in the middle of the high street. It was so funny to watch, One of my best away games ... must of been 700 plus.... that day we had some right nutters on the firm that day. Even a few Wolves fans turned up hoping we lose, but kept their heads down .

Last edited:
Its was Friday Night away game I was there. The Supporters coaches arrived around 4pm. Southend United fans packed out the pubs in town and played a game of football in the middle of the high street. It was so funny to watch, One of my best away games ... must of been 700 plus.... that day we had some right nutters on the firm that day. Even a few Wolves fans turned up hoping we lose, but kept their heads down .
They kept their heads down until King Richard scored our second. Then we caught them "sneaking out".

Back