• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Match to remember Chris Barker - Saturday 28 May 2022

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
This is being arranged by Chris Phillips.

A match in memory of Chris Barker will be taking place at Roots Hall on Saturday May 28.

The game will see a squad of Chris' ex Blues team-mates facing a side made up of his former team-mates from elsewhere plus a few familiar names.

Every penny raised will go to South East and Central Essex Mind

chris barker.jpg

A special cause that is very important.
And, for me, an opportunity to see some good guys who have been great ambassador influencers for our club.
I am hoping BBBC and Bilel, and Tims, and Deegs especially will be there, AND, if he can the "Wee Birdie".

Edit, just noticed the Cricko post background of players, Mark Phillips too! Wow. How did we get these guys on "frees"

Last edited:
A special cause that is very important.
And, for me, an opportunity to see some good guys who have been great amba6and influencers for our club.
I am hoping BBBC and Bilel, and Tims, and Deegs especially will be there, AND, if he can the "Wee Birdie".

Edit, just noticed the Cricko post background of players, Mark Phillips too! Wow. How did we get these guys on "frees"
We are hoping all of those mentioned will be there, we're obviously all well aware of Paul's condition though, so fingers crossed.

A WHOLE host of Southend United favourites will be reuniting at Roots Hall in May to remember former Shrimpers skipper Chris Barker.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links

A WHOLE host of Southend United favourites will be reuniting at Roots Hall in May to remember former Shrimpers skipper Chris Barker.

Barker – who captained Blues at the club’s first ever Wembley cup final, tragically took his own life in 2020.

And a match to raise money for SECE Mind will now be taking place in his memory.
Event organiser Chris Phillips confirmed: “Chris is someone who meant so much to so many people and we’ve been wanting to do this game in his memory for quite some time now.

“Obviously it’s not been possible to play it until now and I’m hoping it will be a day to really remember Chris.
“We all wish this game was taking place in different circumstances and what happened is so sad but the response we’ve had has been fantastic.
“I think that’s testament to the impact Chris had on people on and off the pitch and every penny we raise will be donated to SECE Mind.”
The match will take place on Saturday May 28 and will see a Southend side made up of Barker’s former Shrimpers team-mates taking on a side made up of those he played alongside at other clubs.

Those already hoping to be in attendance include Rhys Evans, Daniel Bentley, Glenn Morris, Cameron Belford, Peter Gilbert, Johnny Herd, Mark Phillips, Lee Sawyer, Ryan Cresswell, Mickey Spillane, Ryan Leonard, Anthony Straker, David Martin, Barry Corr and Liam Dickinson.

However, Phillips hopes more players will be added to the squad.
“We have some who are based abroad and others who are trying to sort things so they can play as well so there will be more details on that soon,” said Phillips.
“We’re also finalising the opposition squad which certainly has some big names in it as well.
“But we’re all determined to make the day the very best it can be.”
Tickets for the match, which kicks off at 3pm, will soon be on sale, priced £5 adults and £1 concessions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Phillips.

We've received the first batch of tickets for 'A Game for Barks'
They will be on sale in the Shrimpers Bar before the game on Saturday and online from Friday.
£5 adults and £1 concessions. Every penny goes to SECE Mind.
Match sponsorship and kit sponsorship still available too.

cb ticvkets.jpg

Gutted I can’t make this one. Looks like it’ll be a terrific day.

Tickets can now be purchased online through The Trust website.

Barker - who captained Blues at the club's first ever Wembley cup final, tragically took his own life in 2020.

And a match to raise money for SECE Mind will now be taking place in his memory.

The event is being organised by Chris Phillips, who said: "Chris is someone who meant so much to so many people and we've been wanting to do this game in his memory for quite some time now. Obviously it's not been possible to play it until now and we're hoping it will be a day to really remember Chris. We all wish this game was taking place in different circumstances and what happened is so sad but the response we've had has been fantastic. That's testament to the impact Chris had on people on and off the pitch and every penny we raise will be donated to SECE Mind."

The match will take place on Saturday 28th May and will see a Southend side made up of Barker's former Shrimpers team-mates, taking on a side made up of those he played alongside at other clubs.

Those already hoping to be in attendance include Rhys Evans, Daniel Bentley, Glenn Morris, Cameron Belford, Peter Gilbert, Johnny Herd, Mark Phillips, Lee Sawyer, Ryan Cresswell, Mickey Spillane, Ryan Leonard, Anthony Straker, David Martin, Barry Corr and Liam Dickinson.

However, it is hoped more players will be added to the squad.

"There are some who are based abroad and others who are trying to sort things so they can play as well so there will be more details on that soon," Chris Phillips added, "We're also finalising the opposition squad which certainly has some big names in it as well. But we're all determined to make the day the very best it can be."

Tickets for the match, which kicks off at 3pm, can be purchased here, priced £5 adults and £1 for under 16s (please note that a £0.68 surcharge has been added to the ticket price to cover postage costs).

The Shrimpers Trust are proud to support "A Game for Barks" and can advise that they will be paying all the PayPal fees associated with buying the match tickets so that 100% of the income goes to this good cause.

We had our first session of open selling in the Shrimpers Bar yesterday, an encouraging start but hope many more will come along - more sales will help settle Chris' nerves!!!

If anyone has any more contacts in the footballing world, please let myself know here or Chris on Twitter @CJPhillips1982. We are encountering that problem at the end of seasons where many in the footballing world are on holiday. Incidentally, for those asking, some of those who are still actively playing competitively in the leagues are not able to play, which is why Lenny, for instance, is the ref.

If anyone has any more contacts in the footballing world, please let myself know here or Chris on Twitter @CJPhillips1982. We are encountering that problem at the end of seasons where many in the footballing world are on holiday. Incidentally, for those asking, some of those who are still actively playing competitively in the leagues are not able to play, which is why Lenny, for instance, is the ref.
I bumped into Tilly on Tuesday and mentioned the upcoming game. He said he didn’t know Chris Barker and hadn’t been asked to play. It might be worth extending the invitation to him and Adam Barrett.

NB. I offered to buy his coffee for him but he unfortunately declined.

Back