• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Match to remember Chris Barker - Saturday 28 May 2022

Great cause. Providing I don't have work I will definately attend.

Looking forward to Big Bad Barry Corr pulling on the shirt one last time.

Ordered my 2 tickets this evening. Hope we get a good turn out for this game - Barks did a lot for our club - I think it is important that we as fans show that he was appreciated and is still remembered with affection.

I bumped into Tilly on Tuesday and mentioned the upcoming game. He said he didn’t know Chris Barker and hadn’t been asked to play. It might be worth extending the invitation to him and Adam Barrett.

NB. I offered to buy his coffee for him but he unfortunately declined.

Yes, neither of them were actually here when Chris was of course, but I think it's something that's being discussed. We have been talking to Adam, he's helping in the background.

How about Echo reports without a pay wall?
MORE big names have been confirmed to play in a match to remember former Southend United captain Chris Barker at Roots Hall in May.

Barker tragically took his own life at the start of 2020.

And a match between Barker’s former Southend side and a side made of his former team-mates from other clubs has been organised for Saturday May 28 with all profits being donated to SECE Mind.
Former Blues favourite Bilel Mohsni has now been added to the squad along with ex Shrimpers striker Gavin Tomlin and Christian Dailly who lined up for Southend in 2012 having previously made 196 Premier League appearances.
Chris Barker’s brother Richie has now been confirmed as the opposition team’s manager while his son, Charlie, a young professional at Charlton Athletic, will also play along with Blues defender John White who lined up alongside Barker at Colchester United.
Mark Bellingham has also been named in the squad as the keen Blues fan watched the Southend side, skippered by Barker, at Wembley alongside his son - England star Jude - back in 2013.

Emersons, DataMigrator and the Essex Property Centre are all sponsoring the match which kicks off at 3pm.
Tickets, which are priced at £5 adults and £1 concessions, are available from the Shrimpers Trust website here and in the Shrimpers Bar ahead of every remaining home match this season.
Southend United squad: Rhys Evans, Cameron Belford, Peter Gilbert, Johnny Herd, Mark Phillips, Lee Sawyer, Ryan Cresswell, Gavin Tomlin, Ryan Leonard, Anthony Straker, David Martin, Barry Corr, Liam Dickinson, Bilel Mohsni, Christian Dailly and Alex Woodyard.
Ex Shrimpers Anthony Wordsworth and Kevin Betsy will line up for the opposition along with former Cardiff defender Darren Purse .

Switch off JavaScript and you’re in. Remember to switch back on afterwards or other stuff won’t work.

Yes this works or just empty your browser history and your free views start from scratch again. I do it all the time on the Colchester Gazette page site although some articles are now listed as Premium and hidden from view unless you pay!

If anyone cares to look at post #1 you will see at the bottom of the post 'Help with Echo links'. This explains how to handle the Echo paywall issue. It features on every Echo post on the Zone.

Any update on ticket sales? Chris Phillips and others have put a lot of effort into arranging the game - would be good to ensure we embrace the power of the zone to ensure a decent turnout.

500 tickets roughly sold so far. Come on people surely we can get to at least 1,000! All for a good cause and in honour of an even greater man.

Southend United squad so far (subject to change): Rhys Evans, Cameron Belford, Peter Gilbert, Johnny Herd, Mark Phillips, Lee Sawyer, Ryan Cresswell, Gavin Tomlin, Ryan Leonard, Anthony Straker, David Martin, Barry Corr, Liam Dickinson, Bilel Mohsni, Christian Dailly and Alex Woodyard.

Full credit to those who are taking time out to attend this. Bilel is even cutting his honeymoon short!

Tickets still available below or message me directly

SHRIMPERS Trust | Website

New names have been added to the Chris Barker XI to play against the Southend side in A Game for Barks.

Vaughn Covil, Dylan Morgan, Luc Rees, Sam Hendy, Dan Jones & Danny Ogunleye who were part of Barks' Forest Green youth team will be playing on May 28th

For those who may not know, Chris was working for FGR at the time of his passing. These lads all attended his funeral.

Attachments

• 3AB13702-33E2-41E4-8B58-FA4A7EF553D3.jpeg
    3AB13702-33E2-41E4-8B58-FA4A7EF553D3.jpeg
    373.4 KB · Views: 13
Back