• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2022-23 Season Kit - (H/A)

We are Blue and White officially. I hope they don't start bringing they yellow back. For those that don't know, we only got yellow in because of sponsorship and being desperate for money. Here is the story.

In the mid-80s (the height of the British football downturn) Southend were facing an uncertain future. The side had spent the previous season sponsorless after a lack of interest from local firms. Another campaign in Division 4 without the valuable income a shirt sponsor brings was a real crisis for the club. In stepped local construction firm Laing and a deal was put together. The only problem was that Laing’s corporate colour was yellow and it was requested that this branding be somehow incorporated into the Southend kit.

Desperate times cause for desperate measures and despite the club’s 80-year history of various combinations of blue and white kits they switched to blue and yellow to allow the deal with Laing to be sealed and bring vital revenue into the club coffers. Interestingly the club badge and logo of kit manufacturers Elite were placed on either side of the Laing logo on the yellow horizontal band – presumably to indicate the unity between club and its commercial partners.

We are Blue and White officially. I hope they don't start bringing they yellow back. For those that don't know, we only got yellow in because of sponsorship and being desperate for money. Here is the story.

In the mid-80s (the height of the British football downturn) Southend were facing an uncertain future. The side had spent the previous season sponsorless after a lack of interest from local firms. Another campaign in Division 4 without the valuable income a shirt sponsor brings was a real crisis for the club. In stepped local construction firm Laing and a deal was put together. The only problem was that Laing’s corporate colour was yellow and it was requested that this branding be somehow incorporated into the Southend kit.

Desperate times cause for desperate measures and despite the club’s 80-year history of various combinations of blue and white kits they switched to blue and yellow to allow the deal with Laing to be sealed and bring vital revenue into the club coffers. Interestingly the club badge and logo of kit manufacturers Elite were placed on either side of the Laing logo on the yellow horizontal band – presumably to indicate the unity between club and its commercial partners.
There will be no yellow in the home shirt…. And hopefully no more of the darkest of navy either!!

Thanks to @THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK for the story behind going yellow.But that was over 40 years ago and we have had some notable successes wearing yellow so is it fair to reckon on yellow IS now part of the club heritage?
Not orange, grey, pink, cherry or other best forgotten colours.

Orange is the new Black

Just thought I would throw that in there !! Heard it somewhere, possibly via a daughter experiencing Made in Chelsea

Someone told me on Tuesday, that the NL had asked to change our shade of blue as it was clashing with the referee kits. Not sure how reliable the info is....

Spot on. NL refs have to wear black.
I have to say that I have never had a problem distinguishing between a ref and our players shirts. There is a colour difference (day or night) and our players are the ones either pushing or getting pushed and the ref is the one doing sweet **** all about it. It's a very clear distinction. Simples.:Smile2:

I have to say that I have never had a problem distinguishing between a ref and our players shirts. There is a colour difference (day or night) and our players are the ones either pushing or getting pushed and the ref is the one doing sweet **** all about it. It's a very clear distinction. Simples.:Smile2:

Remember, this is the NL. Shall we say they ain’t quite as professional as the EFL…

Back