• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex Cricket 2022

Made hard work of it but showed lot of character to win after being 4/4.Rossington batted very well

There is something wrong with the team.

Ignoring the first game bore draw, we really got away with it at Somerset and yesterday's batting was a sick joke.

I think we now now why the two new boys were playing division 2 cricket. Unfortunately, they are now keeping our excellent home grown prospects out if the team.

Time for Walter and either Pepper, Rymal or Kushi to come in. With Lawrence crocked at least one of them will get a gig.

There is something wrong with the team.

Ignoring the first game bore draw, we really got away with it at Somerset and yesterday's batting was a sick joke.

I think we now now why the two new boys were playing division 2 cricket. Unfortunately, they are now keeping our excellent home grown prospects out if the team.

Time for Walter and either Pepper, Rymal or Kushi to come in. With Lawrence crocked at least one of them will get a gig.
Walter, Lawrence and Steketee out for Pepper, Rymal and Porter next game hopefully

Walter, Lawrence and Steketee out for Pepper, Rymal and Porter next game hopefully

Walter is 12th Man. Rossington or Critchley (or both) should drop out. They did well in division 2 but that is a thousand miles away to trying to win the County Championship.

Lawrence is crocked so obviously out.

I'm struggling to work out why the powers that be thought Steketee was a better option than Siddle?

Walter is 12th Man. Rossington or Critchley (or both) should drop out. They did well in division 2 but that is a thousand miles away to trying to win the County Championship.

I'm struggling to work out why the powers that be thought Steketee was a better option than Siddle?
I might be thinking of Wheater

Steketee was the leading wicket taker in the Sheffield Shield this winter.
I’m assuming he’s struggling adapting to English lengths. Apparently we’re lining up Scott Boland for next year. He seems like an ideal bowler for English conditions although I wonder if that’d make our attack too samey and if we could do with some extra pace/variation like we had with Wagner. I’d have loved Shaheen Shah Afridi who is slumming it in division 2 with the dysfunction that is Middlesex but with Mick Lewis as bowling coach we can expect a steady diet of Aussie seamers.

Looks like we need a lot of rain now in Birmingham

The boys are showing heart and spirit if we can get 120 runs or so to defend you never know

The boys are showing heart and spirit if we can get 120 runs or so to defend you never know
A shame snater played that silly shot at the end. Not having a pop as he'd played really well up until then and I think any blame has to be laid at the middle order batters in the 1st innings.
I've actually been impressed by snater with the ball this season.

A shame snater played that silly shot at the end. Not having a pop as he'd played really well up until then and I think any blame has to be laid at the middle order batters in the 1st innings.
I've actually been impressed by snater with the ball this season.
Yeah I agree he has done well.Unfortunately I think we will be well beaten here but you never know

Where is Porter injured? May have missed something there.
Out of favour.

Played for the 2nd XI the other day.

I think he’s actually the weakest link in the bowling attack these days. At his peak he was amazing bowler for us but he’s dropped off a little for a few years now and clearly Little Chef has surpassed him (he’s probably the best bowler in the county game yet to be picked by England), the hugely improved Snater gets in over him in form and Stekete has that extra pace and bounce that this attack needs (albeit he hasn’t bowled all that well). I thought they’d have dealt with this by more rotation.

ps I see Beard has gone out on loan to Sussex.

I can't help thinking there is something very wrong behind the scenes.
They’re just not as good as they once were. I could see this coming a mile off before the season.

They’ve lost the likes of Bopara, RtD.

Their best batsmen - in the injured Lawrence’s absence - are 37 and 33 and on the wane. The likes of Browne, Wheater, Harmer are all the wrong side of 30 as well.

We enjoyed a magical few years but it’s not like that all the time. I hope we all appreciated just how special it was because this is what it’s like to be mortal.

They’ll have good days as well as bad days like this but in the absence of a couple of youngsters becoming international prospects without becoming actual internationals and therefore unavailable is what it’ll look like from time to time.

We’ll see if they’ve still the stomach for the fight when they’ve been used to winning and rolling over teams - there’s a real possibility that the wheels come off quickly once they no longer have the title as a realistic goal. Hopefully it’s more of a blip and they settle into into midtable mediocrity.

Back