• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can We Sign A Penalty Taker Please !

But he took it properly, the others should learn. Weymouths keeper had a good game and read most of the situations well, Powell should have realised that.
I'm in the Paul Clark camp here, the keeper completely mugged Powell off. Showed him 2/3 of the goal, just before the kick moved back to the centre then dived to the side he's shown Powell the bigger part of the goal. If Powell had put his foot through the ball he'd probably still beaten the keeper, but placing it, went straight for the set up the keeper was hoping for.

Best penalty taker I have ever seen was Ray Stewart at West Ham (unfortunately), closely followed by Alan Moody! (Those of us that were there, how much pressure was there on that penalty @ Vicarage Road?!) Both of those two mentioned were defenders.

Doesn't always have to be a striker taking them, but penalty taking IS a special skill and we need a player PLUS a regular stand-in if the main man is off the pitch.

It's more about the strike on the ball whatever the technique. Stewart put his laces through the ball and took the keeper in the net if he went the right way, but knew how to keep the ball low, so never did a Chris Waddle. Moody was a side footer, but with power as well, and the speed on the ball is the secret for me.

Probably worth 5-8 goals a season depending how much penetration a team has into an opponents penalty area.

Easily worth half a dozen points over a season for a competent penalty taker. Cost us another two yesterday, luckily the season was over for us, but if we were playing for a play off place then could be costly, so it must be sorted.

Last edited:
it is really totally incompetent for a professional football team to have such a disgraceful record from the spot ..

in a game of small margins not getting this right is a total sh+tshow ..

(btw - how can anyone point the finger at Dennis.. .. I don't think he has missed one .. or has he ?)

I'm in the Paul Clark camp here, the keeper completely mugged Powell off. Showed him 2/3 of the goal, just before the kick moved back to the centre then dived to the side he's shown Powell the bigger part of the goal. If Powell had put his foot through the ball he'd probably still beat the keeper, but placing it, went straight for the set up the keeper was hoping for.

Best penalty taker I have ever seen was Ray Stewart at West Ham (unfortunately), closely followed by Alan Moody! (Those of us that were there, how much pressure was there on that penalty @ Vicarage Road?!) Both of those two mentioned were defenders.

Doesn't always have to be a striker taking them, but penalty taking IS a special skill and we need a player PLUS a regular stand-in if the main man is off the pitch.

It's more about the strike on the ball whatever the technique. Stewart put his laces through the ball and took the keeper in the net if he went the right way, but knew how to keep the ball low, so never did a Chris Waddle. Moody was a side footer, but with power as well, and the speed on the ball is the secret for me.

Probably worth 5-8 goals a season depending how much penetration a team has into an opponents penalty area.

Easily worth half a dozen points over a season for a competent penalty taker. Cost us another two yesterday, luckily the season was over for us, but if we were playing for a play off place then could be costly, so it must be sorted.

I remember Alan Moody as our penalty taker for years - be interested to see some stats if anyone has them, on his strike rate. Certainly don't remember him missing many.

Didn't have any problem with Powell taking it yesterday, but clearly was psyched out by the keeper.

Remember the penalties Adam Barrett and Cian Bolger took at Wembley? Two of the more unexpectedly best ones on the day. There's a lot to be said for the old style, hit them hard in the corner ones!

I'm in the Paul Clark camp here, the keeper completely mugged Powell off. Showed him 2/3 of the goal, just before the kick moved back to the centre then dived to the side he's shown Powell the bigger part of the goal. If Powell had put his foot through the ball he'd probably still beat the keeper, but placing it, went straight for the set up the keeper was hoping for.

So much has changed since Moody and Stewart though (the rules, the balls, the size of the keepers they have to get the ball past etc) I’m not sure how translate-able that will be to the modern game.

You mention Waddle but just as big a factor in that penalty shootout loss was having an old school keeper like Shilton who refused to commit until the ball was in the back of the net. Although maybe that’s harsh: probably the last thing you’d want is Shilts betting one way or the other given the gambling debts he racked up…

I remember Alan Moody as our penalty taker for years - be interested to see some stats if anyone has them, on his strike rate. Certainly don't remember him missing many.

Didn't have any problem with Powell taking it yesterday, but clearly was psyched out by the keeper.

Remember the penalties Adam Barrett and Cian Bolger took at Wembley? Two of the more unexpectedly best ones on the day. There's a lot to be said for the old style, hit them hard in the corner ones!
Definitely. For whatever reason I was 99% sure Powell wouldn't score yesterday - never once thought that when Alan Moody was our penalty taker.

If memory serves me correctly he missed one against Col U. at The Hall and never took another penalty again.

I remember Dave Cusack took them regularly for us he used to nearly rip the net off the back of th goal.

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2017/august/moody-blues/

24 penalties according to this.

I think he stopped after he missed one….

If have 3 designated penalty takers and an order to these players ie first, second and third dependant on who is on the pitch at the time.

I'd then get those 3 designated players to practice penalties at the end of every training session, and being unable to leave until they score 3 in a row.

We have to make taking and scoring second nature.

If memory serves me correctly he missed one against Col U. at The Hall and never took another penalty again.

I remember Dave Cusack took them regularly for us he used to nearly rip the net off the back of th goal.
Dave Cusack missed one at the south Bank end! With The noise of ball hitting the advertising board echoing around the ground , the ref spotted a player encroachment, a re take and a goal for Big Dave!!

Dave Cusack missed one at the south Bank end! With The noise of ball hitting the advertising board echoing around the ground , the ref spotted a player encroachment, a re take and a goal for Big Dave!!
V. Plymouth as I recall, on TV too. Or am I just totally wrong?

Alan Moody's penalty record

Taken: 28, Scored 24.

11/10/74HTranmere RoversDiv 3Scored
05/04/75AHereford UtdDiv 3Missed - hit bar
27/09/75HShrewsbury TownDiv 3Scored
20/10/75HHalifax TownDiv 3Scored
13/12/75HDoverFACScored
26/01/76HHereford UtdDiv 3Scored
13/04/76AGillinghamDiv 3Missed - hit post
17/04/76AColchester UtdDiv 3Scored
19/04/76HChesterfieldDiv 3Scored
23/04/76HChesterDiv 3Scored
27/04/76AWrexhamDiv 3Scored
10/09/76HHalifax TownDiv 4Scored
18/09/76AHartlepoolDiv 4Scored
29/10/76HNewport CountyDiv 4Scored
01/01/77HAldershotDiv 4Scored
25/03/77HRochdaleDiv 4Scored
29/04/77HSouthportDiv 4Scored
03/09/77AAFC BournemouthDiv 4Scored
27/09/77ADoncaster RoversDiv 4Missed - saved
14/10/77HHartlepool UtdDiv 4Scored
19/12/77HAP LeamingtonFACScored
02/01/78HGrimsby TownDiv 4Scored
03/04/78HDoncaster RoversDiv 4Scored
15/04/78AWatfordDiv 4Scored
23/10/78HHull CityDiv 3Scored
23/12/78HBrentfordDiv 3Scored
02/02/79HChesterfieldDiv 3Scored
02/03/79HColchester UtdDiv 3Missed - wide

V. Plymouth as I recall, on TV too. Or am I just totally wrong?
You could well be right, but I don't remember the tv cameras , I do know the blues always seemed not to play their best football for the telly, real stage fright guaranteed everytime...

You could well be right, but I don't remember the tv cameras , I do know the blues always seemed not to play their best football for the telly, real stage fright guaranteed everytime...
I think it was a highlight slot with Dave Smith commenting from the dug out.

I'm told Ray Stewart missed 10 from 86, though I don't remember him missing many for West Ham. I Was talking to my step dad about him the other day. Everyone remembers him for smashing them but he could take any type of pen and under pressure.

On Youtube if you look up West Ham Villa FAC 6th round 1980. Stewart scores a last minute pen with Paul Brush and Alvin not looking.

Worth watching the 30 mins Big Match highlights for some good old cup footy and you might appreciate Trevor Brooking a bit more. At the end they have an interview with John Lyle (the manger) and Ray Stewart. They talk about dealing with players trying to put you off.......King Kev should watch it....Along with Powell, Demi, Dalby, Rush, Akinola. ANG etc.

Back