• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

USS Richard Montgomery

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
It seems there is work going on today to shorten the masts of the Montgomery to stop them falling off into the hull of the ship. If you head a big bang as you fly through the air, you will now know why.

I always hear conflicting things about that ship. One minute they say that there will be a massive wave that will wipe out half of Essex, and the next they say that all the ammunition is pretty much dead.

It seems there is work going on today to shorten the masts of the Montgomery to stop them falling off into the hull of the ship. If you head a big bang as you fly through the air, you will now know why.
My understanding is they are removing the masts in June so the 40k tons of TNT should blow anytime then.

I always hear conflicting things about that ship. One minute they say that there will be a massive wave that will wipe out half of Essex, and the next they say that all the ammunition is pretty much dead.

Its not dead the ammunition becomes more unstable with time

It is to do with different metals mixing. As it was 1944 the timers were already put into the bombs to save time. Its those two elements mixing as they deteriorate which could cause an explosion. Some have claimed its the most dangerous wreck in the world.

My understanding is they are removing the masts in June so the 40k tons of TNT should blow anytime then.
Which goes to show I shouldn't listen to BBC East news like I did this morning. The Echo has now confirmed your post so it must be true................mustn't it?

• Haha
Reactions: ESG
Surely removing the masts makes it less visible so more of a hazard for ships/boats that don't use navigational tools - I'm talking more the hobbyists than the cargo ones.

Last edited:
Which goes to show I shouldn't listen to BBC East news like I did this morning. The Echo has now confirmed your post so it must be true................mustn't it?

Just wait for the explosion I guess!

Surely removing the masks makes it less visible so more of a hazard for ships/boats that don't use navigational tools - I'm talking more the hobbyists than the cargo ones.

There is some yellow marker buoys and it is monitored 24/7 (allegedly)

Good spot for fishing on the Nore sand bank so we have been anchored very close at times. Its obviously not the place to go wreck fishing so we never cast to close.

When I used to scuba dive on wrecks in the channel I used to take the head of shells and empty the cordite out. They made great ornaments and the cordite was fun to chuck on the barbecue as well. Mind you I used to stay away from the larger shells!

It used to be thought to be a terrorist threat once , all they had to do would be drop a exploding devise aboard , wait for the right weather conditions and a high tide and let it off .

The mast will be coming off as they are unstable now, they don’t want them falling into the wreck and breaking up the hull. The biggest risk is when it finally disintegrates and the contents start washing up all over the estuary

The mast will be coming off as they are unstable now, they don’t want them falling into the wreck and breaking up the hull. The biggest risk is when it finally disintegrates and the contents start washing up all over the estuary
Places like Leigh are already turning into no go areas and that is without the risk of unexploded ordinance being washed up.

Anyone spotted any activity in the estuary today?
Nothing so far and the tide is now coming in so it wont be happening today. I guess you would want a very calm day.

For those of you interested look up the 1917 Halifax ( Nova Scotia) explosion.....The SS Mont-Blanc exploded in the harbour with 1800 dead, 9000 injured, 60ft wave and forward guns landing 3.5 miles away.

Back