• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Elvis Bwomono

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always had you down as so much more balanced than this.

Elvis feels like he was forced into a corner by SUFC.

SUFC feels like they were forced into a corner by Elvis, his agent and Orient.

Elvis stuck to his principles.

SUFC stuck to their principles.

There is no black-and-white here. It was a stand-off and neither party has covered themselves in glory. To make Elvis out to be a victim, though, isn't right in my view, no matter how many other things I'll gladly blame Ron Martin for.
True. But no one is throwing the same level of insult at Southend Utd or Ron Martin in respect of this. The balance I’m offering is this isn’t entirely of Elvis’s making and it wasn’t all down to a ‘greedy agent’!

There was a lot more history to this than the final analysis of could he go to orient for a fee or not. Elvis showed one hell of a lot of loyalty at times when many other players would’ve run for the hills and taken the money….

Elvis made it clear long before our contract offer that he had no interest in staying, and wanted out. He was extremely vocal about that behind the scenes.

We did what we had to do to qualify for compensation. It was an initial opening offer, which we would obviously have negotiated, but Elvis had no interest in staying as I said. He made it clear under MM & then again under PB.

Elvis made it clear long before our contract offer that he had no interest in staying, and wanted out. He was extremely vocal about that behind the scenes.

We did what we had to do to qualify for compensation. It was an initial opening offer, which we would obviously have negotiated, but Elvis had no interest in staying as I said. He made it clear under MM & then again under PB.
He probably felt he’d earned the right to get the same treatment as Hutchinson and Kelman were afforded in being allowed to leave….

Whatever happens to Elvis I have little doubt he will be telling stories about how he used to play for Southend rather than he used to play in the Icelandic Best league to his future work colleagues.

Maybe he did.

He was fully allowed to leave once his deal expired, and we were fully entitled to be compensated.
Correct and he was also fully entitled to choose not to sign it, take his wages and take a year out.

By offering him £1 a year more in order to try and capitilise financially on his talent and his previous loyalty the club committed themselves to that. That was their ‘gamble’ just as not playing was his.

There were no winners but two things remain. 1. Elvis does not and never should have deserved the abuse he has received for this saga and 2. The problems and the lack of integrity shown by the club started long before the £1 pay rise was offered but that shows just where the level of respect had reached.

The compensation packages aren’t as clear cut as you make out. They are for academy players but once a player is a full pro they take far more into account than time spent at a club and age and wont be found with a simple online calculation. Which is precisely why we saw players like Kenny Coker appearing on match days shortly before moving on to premier league clubs. The tribunals are a lottery and it’s just possible Orient or any other club didn’t fancy paying what they were ordered to and it all blowing up in their faces.

It’s also quite possible Ron was refusing to budge an inch from his half a mill valuation despite knowing it wasn’t going to be met…I wonder why?

Also, people are paying no attention ruin whatsoever to any promises made to Elvis in respect of turning down other suitors mid season…..in return for what? Seeing out the season? Staying until January the following season? Staying to try and retain league status? All that failed and he was still unable to leave…

Finally…..and I’m not going into any thing that has taken place…..

Anyone remember the public outcry at the completely insulting nature of Arsene Wenger offering £50,000,001 to Liverpool to activate the £50,000,000 buy out clause for Luis Suarez…… It was deemed an insult and it angered everyone including media and fans not to mention Liverpool Football Club……it really is an insulting thing to do.

Maybe if Ron genuinely wanted Elvis to stay another year he should’ve have offered him what he thought a footballer valued at half million pound should earn and who knows maybe none of this would’ve happened….
Maybe not, but you can still get a fairly good idea.

Again though, this doesn't make any sense. He can ask for half a million all he wants buy he was never, ever going to get it. If Orient wanted him enough, they'd have signed him to a contract knowing that they'd probably be ordered to pay £75k-£150k. They obviously didn't rate him enough to pay what the EPPP compensation rules would have deemed we were eligible to receive. That's on them, nobody else, and RM asking for £500k is irrelevant.

Again, irrelevant. He had made it clear as day by that point that he wanted out. Everybody behind the scenes knew it. So why bother offering him a much bigger contract knowing that he was never going to accept it? You know he wants out, so just do what you need to do to qualify for the compensation. I'm sure he wasn't any more insulted by that than SUFC was by his attempts to stop us getting any compensation for him.

I'm sure promises were made, but a promise to let him go for free was not. Why would we?

The biggest error SUFC has made here is hanging on for too long out of spite. Once it became clear that he'd never sign a new contract with the club and that no other club wanted to pay any money for him at the time, we should have been the bigger party and cut our losses. We'd have saved half a season of his salary. As it is, we've dug in out of spite just like he has.

Whatever happens to Elvis I have little doubt he will be telling stories about how he used to play for Southend rather than he used to play in the Icelandic Best league to his future work colleagues.
Have you homeworked this?
It's on a par with the National League insofar as players often take part-time jobs in things like the fishing industry.
That idea that Elvis is down the chip shop might end up not that far from the truth.
The club he's signed for in a 12-team league is an outpost.
ÍBV are from Vestmannaeyjar, a town and archipelago off the south coast of Iceland.
Oh! The glory!

80k to sit at home, play the playstation and peruse the iceland lonely planet book? Maybe elvis isnt as daft as people are making out.

He'll be at an efl club within a year imo.

Agree with this. But when Elvis was 18, apart from the chairman / employer, Southend would’ve looked like a very promising future for a young pro.

Up there as one of your most ill-informed comments.
Why ? I'm just saying what everyone is is thinking

If he really has been on 1.5k a week I'm not sure he can complain about any contract offer. That's silly money for a national league level right back.

It does rather beg the question of how much money did he want?

Having ploughed through the majority of this thread now, there is enough hot air and indignation on both sides of the argument to float a hot air balloon across any nearby mountain range. Any one that thinks Southend United (Ron) are going to discuss their transfer/contract business in pubic is away with the fairies, it ain't going to happen, and it wouldn't happen in most other business scenarios.

As Elvis has moved on to pastures or icebergs new, if posters have factual evidence that they want to share with other Zoners then please do so, but all this eluding to knowing stuff is now becoming repetitious and irrelevant to anything currently happening at SUFC. I doubt very much if anything I have posted here will count for anything, but I feel better for posting it (in a normal poster capacity not as a mod before smart arses start prodding).

It was very much guesswork based on a rough league 1 salary and a 25% relegation clause…and prob doesn’t allow for another one at end of league 2 season..

But player wages for young players are always linked to increases on appearances. He had 100+ games!

It was very much guesswork based on a rough league 1 salary and a 25% relegation clause…and prob doesn’t allow for another one at end of league 2 season..

But player wages for young players are always linked to increases on appearances. He had 100+ games!
But were we paying him this season? I don’t understand as he was out of contract, why would we be paying him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back