• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question 2022-23 National League - full team lineup and season predictions

Having watched Wrexham v Grimsby this dispelled any illusions about next season,. Both sides had the right blend of experience and youth which we are at present light years away from approaching . It could have gone either way and whichever out of Grimsby or Chesterfield (I suspect the latter) we are up against will be a stern test along with last season's play off contenders. An impressive advert for the strengths of the National League.
Can you elaborate on what is the right blend of experience and youth that we need to be inspiring to?

Can you elaborate on what is the right blend of experience and youth that we need to be inspiring to?
You meant 'aspiring to' I presume. Waterfall and Mullin just two examples of proven EFL ability and experience at the ideal age. McAtee, a young striker, an astute signing by a manager with bags of experience at this level and above. Many more examples from both sides. We need to stop kidding ourselves, we have a mountain to climb if we genuinely aspire to compete for even a play off spot next season

You meant 'aspiring to' I presume. Waterfall and Mullin just two examples of proven EFL ability and experience at the ideal age. McAtee, a young striker, an astute signing by a manager with bags of experience at this level and above. Many more examples from both sides. We need to stop kidding ourselves, we have a mountain to climb if we genuinely aspire to compete for even a play off spot next season
Not exactly a mountain to climb, to be fair. Even with a poor pre season and an awful start and very little goal threat we finished 13th.

It seems we’re doing our best to get the players in that we need - in the right positions with the right attributes and a positive attitude - I think it’s pretty much agreed that what we’ve got at the minute isn’t a top 7 team.

Come the end of the summer, we could well look at things with more optimism. I have faith anyway, daft sod that I am. I just want to see us give it a good go and if we fall short, so be it, as long as it’s progress.

McAtee was released by Scunthorpe last summer after a very poor season.

He is the same age as Dalby who scored 5 fewer goals despite playing in what was a poor side for half a season, we may have a mountain to climb but we aren't starting at the bottom

Mullin is a completely unrealistic example to aspire to considering he’ll be on triple what we’d be willing to pay a player and is only at Wrexham instead of League 1 for that sole reason.

Mullin is a completely unrealistic example to aspire to considering he’ll be on triple what we’d be willing to pay a player and is only at Wrexham instead of League 1 for that sole reason.
Which is a perfect illustration of the point. We cannot compete with the serious contenders for promotion back to the EFL. Time to get real about our chances, it would take a miracle with our present squad, even allowing for the new signings and more to come.

age distribution.png

age_groups.png

A bit bored so looked at age distribution for teams in our division. We've given a lot of minutes to young players (below 24 years old). We also gave a moderate amount to those older players (29 and older). We've also given the least to those in their "prime" (24-28 age range, although this is really position dependent).

Wrexham seem to have a good distribution. Lots of minutes in that prime age range and a moderate amount in the older age range. They also have a huge amount of minutes for players who will be entering that prime age range (Davies was a key player this season).

Having watched Wrexham v Grimsby this dispelled any illusions about next season,. Both sides had the right blend of experience and youth which we are at present light years away from approaching . It could have gone either way and whichever out of Grimsby or Chesterfield (I suspect the latter) we are up against will be a stern test along with last season's play off contenders. An impressive advert for the strengths of the National League.
Actually don’t think we are light years away from Grimsby or Wrexham. Why? Because we came down last season with Grimsby (in fact with a slightly better side than them). If it took them only a close season to essentially put that squad together then there is no reason we can’t do exactly the same.

Which is a perfect illustration of the point. We cannot compete with the serious contenders for promotion back to the EFL. Time to get real about our chances, it would take a miracle with our present squad, even allowing for the new signings and more to come.
Like Grimsby?

Promotion is tough (you either have to finish top or come through several cup ties) but I don’t see a reason why we shouldn’t be in play-off contention. Our form from January was probably sufficient and it’s only a case of finishing 5 or 6 spots higher.

We’ve a mix of experience and quality and it’s only May. We obviously need to recruit more and need depth in particular but play-offs is an achievable goal. Promotion from the play-offs may be beyond us but who knows with a fair wind behind us?

View attachment 20602

View attachment 20603

A bit bored so looked at age distribution for teams in our division. We've given a lot of minutes to young players (below 24 years old). We also gave a moderate amount to those older players (29 and older). We've also given the least to those in their "prime" (24-28 age range, although this is really position dependent).

Wrexham seem to have a good distribution. Lots of minutes in that prime age range and a moderate amount in the older age range. They also have a huge amount of minutes for players who will be entering that prime age range (Davies was a key player this season).
Absolutely love this

Credit to Grimsby....I thought their season was finished when we beat them a couple of months ago. Paul Hurst deserves tremendous credit for getting their season back on track.

We were just 8 points behind Grimsby at that stage. We finished 19 points behind them following our dire run of results towards the end.

I wonder if Chesterfield will be able to maintain their level of expenditure this coming season should they not go up. They had a big insurance payout back last summer which I'm not convinced they spent in a sustainable manner.
We have a local billionaire now putting money in the club. He invested over a million £ just a few weeks ago

Next season it’s port vale v derby county and it’s the once mighty blues v dorking sad days ?
I think Morecombe v Cambridge is worse as they were non league not so long ago. Weird to think they are two divisions ahead of us.

And Brentford who we played a lot we are now 4 divisions below them. Amazing how things change.

Hopefully we are now on the up

We are where we are because we deserve to be there. It will take us time to get out off the NL so if you think differently you in for a shock .We have now a very good backroom team and yes we are on the up ,but be prepared to be here for a 2 or 3 more seasons, stay calm and back our management ,Playoffs would be great at present and hopefully an appearance at Wembley ,Like Stockport we need to build a side capable of not just gaining promotion from this league but also league 2.

We are where we are because we deserve to be there. It will take us time to get out off the NL so if you think differently you in for a shock .We have now a very good backroom team and yes we are on the up ,but be prepared to be here for a 2 or 3 more seasons, stay calm and back our management ,Playoffs would be great at present and hopefully an appearance at Wembley ,Like Stockport we need to build a side capable of not just gaining promotion from this league but also league 2.
Appearance would be at Westhams stadium. It's non league not football league it won't be Wembley

Back