• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question 2022-23 National League - full team lineup and season predictions

I thought Chesterfield were a community trust owned team? Does this billionaire plan on taking over?
Not at the moment just putting money in as ‘gifts’ currently,I don’t think they are interested in being owners only investors to get us back up to L1 hopefully sooner rather than later! Have to get out this division first however which gets more impossible by the year

They had a takeover just before the end of last season, as my local team the support from them in this area is unbelievable, their only rivals are Hull (a rugby city) and Scunthorpe (a bigger basket case than us).

I seem to remember Stan pointing to their recruitment in the summer as being something we should do.

The end result is one less big club in this league.

if i remember correctly when we played them at home. Grimsby were top of the home games table but we were above them on away form.

We all want more Saturday games but that means more away fans with the advantage of the North bank…. Would be interesting to see our Saturdays v under lights at the RH form.

Really ?

Average age of Grimsby was 24 , with 7 aged between 20 and 24. Thats a very young side admittedly they were not 16 year olds
Somebody posted all the squad ages on here and those with experience finish in the top half and the youngest get relegated.

Even the smaller clubs that punch above their weight are the ones with an older squad.

Not at the moment just putting money in as ‘gifts’ currently,I don’t think they are interested in being owners only investors to get us back up to L1 hopefully sooner rather than later! Have to get out this division first however which gets more impossible by the year
That's a bit of a worry, billionaires don't tend to give away money for no reason.

The fact that it’s hard to win promotion from the NL makes it a better standard than many assume. I personally have been impressed with the standard from last season.

What most fans seem to forget it’s just as difficult for clubs like ours to end up in the bottom two places in L2 in the first place. You have to have 2 or 3 seasons of disaster in a row. Overspending, financial miss management, revolving door of mangers and players, angry fans who can’t except the dire situation (even though it’s not their fault)…. Finally some spineless players who haven’t got the basic Sunday morning minerals of not wanting to finish last.

That’s why we are in the NL but at least we are not in the “i won’t be supporting a team in the NL” bracket of fan.

With all eyes on Wrexham next season i’ll expect the likes of Chesterfield and Southend to be challenging for top 3 and 5 places…. No guarantee of promotion but we will have some fun….. And i will enjoy the football do b******s to those who are ‘to good’ for the NL.

Following on from @rigsby, yes Wrexham, Notts C and Chesterfield will be high on bookies promo list, we will be in next high possible list with maybe Dorking and Daggers.
Dorking as a surprise team on a roll and with plastic home advantage.
The relegated teams of Oldham and Scunny will do well to have a better (or worse?) start to Vanarama life than we did and will struggle big time imo.
Halifax, Bromley, Borehamwood, Torquay, Solihull will find it hard to kick on from what was a very good last season for them.
Woking, Eastleigh, and MUFC mid table, and win some lose some inconsistency thru small squads.
The likes of Aldershot, Wealdstone, Barnet, Gatehead, York and Maidstone will be looking at being higher than 5th from bottom as a result.
Is that my predictions pinned up on all teams; or have I missed something major?

I’ve talked to a number of people regarding our chances next season and it’s very odd that not one person and there’s been a few have actually mentioned winning the league next year.

It’s as if the top spot is some kind of optical illusion. That’s probably created by the way the NL run things though.

However, let’s hope those are not the thoughts of the dressing room because I think it would be easy to settle for second best but as Wrexham found out that’s not always a good option.

Following on from @rigsby, yes Wrexham, Notts C and Chesterfield will be high on bookies promo list, we will be in next high possible list with maybe Dorking and Daggers.
Dorking as a surprise team on a roll and with plastic home advantage.
The relegated teams of Oldham and Scunny will do well to have a better (or worse?) start to Vanarama life than we did and will struggle big time imo.
Halifax, Bromley, Borehamwood, Torquay, Solihull will find it hard to kick on from what was a very good last season for them.
Woking, Eastleigh, and MUFC mid table, and win some lose some inconsistency thru small squads.
The likes of Aldershot, Wealdstone, Barnet, Gatehead, York and Maidstone will be looking at being higher than 5th from bottom as a result.
Is that my predictions pinned up on all teams; or have I missed something major?
I think York will do better than that. They improved as the season went on, had a positive first season in their new stadium and they are a bigger club than the likes of Gateshead, Maidstone and Dorking which may help them kick on. Depends on how well they recruit in the summer of course but I can't see relegation being a concern for them.

Solihull will be up there in contention again, no mistake, as will Bromley, Boreham Wood and Daggers. All have loads of money and will be willing to spend big again.

Next year will be every bit as tough as this year, perhaps tougher as there don't appear to be the shoo-ins for relegation that we had this year.

Next year will be every bit as tough as this year, perhaps tougher as there don't appear to be the shoo-ins for relegation that we had this year.

This, everyone is looking at the top and considering it may be a bit easier for us next season, now we have right people in charge, but conversely, no easy 6 pointers next year either.

I would struggle to guess at bottom 4 next year and what the point's tally needed to finish 5th bottom.

Not that for one minute I think we need to worry, but some bigger clubs will.

This, everyone is looking at the top and considering it may be a bit easier for us next season, now we have right people in charge, but conversely, no easy 6 pointers next year either.

I would struggle to guess at bottom 4 next year and what the point's tally needed to finish 5th bottom.

I'd go with Barnet, Maidstone, Scunthorpe and Dorking to go down.

Aldershot are likely to be in a relegation battle too

I'd go with Barnet, Maidstone, Scunthorpe and Dorking to go down.

Aldershot are likely to be in a relegation battle too

I had thought Barnet and Aldershot from what I've seen this season will be towards the bottom again next, don't know enough about the other teams though.

From the outside Scunthorpe seem to be in a similar way to how we have been over the last few years so if they continue their downward spiral then I can see that, but who knows.

A season back towards the top of the league would be nice but it won't be easy.

Aldershot and three others.

I don’t think anyone would look at any of Grimsby’s signings from the past 12 months and think blimey, that’s decent. So we should all probably take that into consideration if we feel at all underwhelmed about any business we do this summer. It’s all about getting the right cogs in the right places, but hugely down to getting the right people and personalities in the right places too.
Always the way with signings. Imagine if we signed McAtee, someone with 1 goal in 30 appearances the season before. Some people would have had a meltdown!

Back