• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

Diesel £1.98 a litre at garage on A127 London bound just before M25 this morning Way its going £9 a gallon going be here in days if not already

Because out cat uses a litter tray we buy Catsan litter. It's currently about £12 for 20ltrs in the Supermarkets so I looked on amazon - £9...sounded good, then saw the £19.99p delivery charge. wtf!
A family member buys this. Said in her opinion, as good as Catsan. So cheap as chips £3.80 for 20 Litres. Can't see this price lasting though.

Waitrose · 10 L

£1.90 nearby

In stock​

Waitrose & Partners Southend
Fossetts Way, Eastern Avenue, Southend-on-Sea
Open today: 07:30 - 20:00
01702 603403

10 Litres Absorbent Cat Litter - essential Waitrose

shopping

Reactions: RHB
A family member buys this. Said in her opinion, as good as Catsan. So cheap as chips £3.80 for 20 Litres. Can't see this price lasting though.

Waitrose · 10 L

£1.90 nearby​

In stock​

Waitrose & Partners Southend
Fossetts Way, Eastern Avenue, Southend-on-Sea
Open today: 07:30 - 20:00
01702 603403

10 Litres Absorbent Cat Litter - essential Waitrose

shopping
Waitrise customers have staff to look after their cats

So when I started driving in 1973 petrol was £0.73 a gallon, which apparently is equivalent to £4.43 in today’s money. So you don’t need a degree in maths to see the price has doubled in real terms since then.

Because out cat uses a litter tray we buy Catsan litter. It's currently about £12 for 20ltrs in the Supermarkets so I looked on amazon - £9...sounded good, then saw the £19.99p delivery charge. wtf!
Get the Tesco branded cat litter, £2 a bag and really is one of the best on the market.

It’s getting to the point where I need to consider changing jobs and not travelling to London to work. The price of fuel constantly rising I’m already up to around £100-£150 a month extra on my fuel costs. And that’s just fuel, I’ve had my electric and gas bill double.

Tell you something that hasn’t doubled and that’s my ****ing wages!

So when I started driving in 1973 petrol was £0.73 a gallon, which apparently is equivalent to £4.43 in today’s money. So you don’t need a degree in maths to see the price has doubled in real terms since then.
I saw a similar price change for a pint of ale over 50 years in one of those pub ale magazines some pubs do: the relative change in price of the average countrywide pint of ale outstripped inflation by 100%.

Slightly curious that given that the measure of inflation includes various goods as to account for localised and specific production cost increases and decreases, that two of the most prominent consumables, gasoline and beer, are significant outliers.

Not sure how comparable the petrol you were buying in 1973 is to the petrol you buy today.

One obvious change is the switch to unleaded (which also is understood to have significantly reduced violent crime) but there may also be several other changes in composition since then.

@RobM might know more.

No real changes. Still a mixture of reformate, isomerate, alkylate, raw gasoline, butane, all of which have plus and minus points. The price of crude is an obvious cause.. Currently US$120 a barrel (159 litres).

So about 63p a litre.
Margins around 12p/litre.
Fuel duty 58p a litre.
Operating costs ~ 25p a litre
Total = £1.58
Add VAT = 31.6p. Yes, we pay VAT on duty - tax tax!

Total about £1.87 - the current price (all figures ± a few pence).

Also if the market price of (say) butane drops, it's more profitable to add it to gasoline (not enough to increase vapour pressure above spec). Alkylate is good stuff but expensive so use as little as the "recipe" for the blend allows.

Think of a cake business. If the price of sugar goes up, put less in. If the price of fat drops, put more in! As long as the finished cake is good enough...

Oil is bought and sold in US dollars, and the pound has dropped five fold in value which is a major part of the pricing.

It’s getting to the point where I need to consider changing jobs and not travelling to London to work. The price of fuel constantly rising I’m already up to around £100-£150 a month extra on my fuel costs. And that’s just fuel, I’ve had my electric and gas bill double.

Tell you something that hasn’t doubled and that’s my ****ing wages!
And my State pension.

Needs a campaign to boycott one particular fuel supplier no exceptions and see what happens.

It's all getting a bit too much now isn't it? Literally every single expenditure has gone up and not even by a little bit. I started a second job working 3 nights a week back at the end of January with the idea of putting everything I earn into my savings. Even with a recent pay increase on my main job I'm now reaching the point where I'm reliant on my 2nd job to pay some of my bills and living costs. Not by much but still, that wasn't the idea of the job. As a family of 5, one of my kids does swimming lessons, gymnastics, the other does ballet (and goes to nursery which costs a hell of a lot) and the youngest is too young to do anything YET.

I know that's quite a lot of extra activities but they love it and I don't have the heart to tell them they can't do it anymore, I'd rather do what I'm doing and work 70+ hours a week. Life, money wise, really does suck at the moment. I know I'm not the only one of course, just mega depressing times.

Back