• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

How about, for those that submit their own meter readings, (not those on "smart") buying gas and lecci in the "futures" market?
Increase the meter readings you submit monthly by, say 25%, buying ahead of use? and then when prices go up, as expected for the winter scale back down to the actual meter reading?
It is what the oil and gas companies do, but on a smaller scale.

A petrol garage may get a weekly delivery but will put pump prices up on all the petrol it has, especially making bigger profits on the stuff stored in its tanks bought at the cheaper price.
Nice idea, however technically classed as fraud. I'm sure energy companies will have upped their algorithms to be on the lookout for unusual readings.

I don’t drive in HK but interestingly, as is the case is many Asian countries, diesel is cheaper than petrol. This is largely because being green and recycling is way down the list everywhere. Go to Japan and everything is wrapped, double wrapped including, in a lot of cases, single fruits (it’s a cultural thing). Go into the countryside in places like Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia etc and subsistence prevails over everything. The public transport in HK is ridiculously cheap and massively efficient. My one hour each way commute costs £2.50 ew cash.

If you saw how little I pay for utilities you would cry. For water it’s not worth them issuing a bill. Gas has gone up recently
but not by much and the most I’ve paid for electricity is 300 for 2 months in the summer with air con blasting. In my current place I only need one or 2 units operating. The most I’ve paid is still under 200 for 2 months, usually much cheaper.

I’ll ask the question. How many of you have cut back on non essentials? Sky subscriptions? Or better still Sky Sports subscriptions. The money you don’t pay also stops the flow to Sky and the inevitable long term impact of that is they also earn less advertising revenue. This will lead to less money to feed the money rich clubs offering ridiculously inflated wages to those for whom a short term increase in expenses means nothing. If necessary get a Firestick.

I still have property, family and other outgoings in the UK..We’ve cut out Sky and a few other non essentials. Have you?

I don’t drive in HK but interestingly, as is the case is many Asian countries, diesel is cheaper than petrol. This is largely because being green and recycling is way down the list everywhere. Go to Japan and everything is wrapped, double wrapped including, in a lot of cases, single fruits (it’s a cultural thing). Go into the countryside in places like Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia etc and subsistence prevails over everything. The public transport in HK is ridiculously cheap and massively efficient. My one hour each way commute costs £2.50 ew cash.

If you saw how little I pay for utilities you would cry. For water it’s not worth them issuing a bill. Gas has gone up recently
but not by much and the most I’ve paid for electricity is 300 for 2 months in the summer with air con blasting. In my current place I only need one or 2 units operating. The most I’ve paid is still under 200 for 2 months, usually much cheaper.

I’ll ask the question. How many of you have cut back on non essentials? Sky subscriptions? Or better still Sky Sports subscriptions. The money you don’t pay also stops the flow to Sky and the inevitable long term impact of that is they also earn less advertising revenue. This will lead to less money to feed the money rich clubs offering ridiculously inflated wages to those for whom a short term increase in expenses means nothing. If necessary get a Firestick.

I still have property, family and other outgoings in the UK..We’ve cut out Sky and a few other non essentials. Have you?
I haven’t done that but it’s an option. I watch a lot of sports on tv so I get my moneys’ worth.

What I did do a while ago was sell my car. I work from home, I’m near bus stops and 2 rail stations and food shops. I can get everywhere I need to by public transport and it’s saved me fortunes. Plus parking round here is a nightmare.

Never sitting in traffic is great and not having to stress about petrol prices, also great. Hiring a car is always an option for long journeys. Don’t regret it.

I haven’t done that but it’s an option. I watch a lot of sports on tv so I get my moneys’ worth.

What I did do a while ago was sell my car. I work from home, I’m near bus stops and 2 rail stations and food shops. I can get everywhere I need to by public transport and it’s saved me fortunes. Plus parking round here is a nightmare.

Never sitting in traffic is great and not having to stress about petrol prices, also great. Hiring a car is always an option for long journeys. Don’t regret it.
People are so wedded to their cars.

I don’t own a car which means I don’t have to worry about MOTs, repairs, insurance, petrol prices, finding a parking space. It’s liberating.

Rather than be sat in traffic I’d much rather be walking the short journeys and getting some exercise. I already spend enough of my day at work sat down. For longer journeys I use the train and have the option of a beer at the other end.

I’ve got a drivers licence if I need to hire a car but I’ve never felt the need to do that. I maybe take a cab a handful of times a year.

It’s better for my health, it’s better for my wallet (I spend around £500 a year on transport), it’s better for the environment. It’s really win-win.

I know some people really do need a car for work but many don’t.

I hate the argument that people struggle financially because of frivolous purchases and reckless spending and that people with comfortable standards of living are shrewder, harder working and more responsible.

Why shouldn't someone who works be unable to watch a bit of sport in their leisure time.

Ii is not their fault the cost of living is spiraling out of control.

Anyone filling up at this station has either more money than sense or is just stupid

BBC News - Fuel prices: London petrol station sells diesel at nearly £2.50 a litre
The article says that the station doesn't have a big board advertising the prices like most stations, it isn't until you get to the pump that you can see what the price is. Seems like a borderline scam to me, trick people into driving up to your pump on the assumption that the prices are in line with the market and then hope they'll be too polite to drive off without using it.

People are so wedded to their cars.

I don’t own a car which means I don’t have to worry about MOTs, repairs, insurance, petrol prices, finding a parking space. It’s liberating.

Rather than be sat in traffic I’d much rather be walking the short journeys and getting some exercise. I already spend enough of my day at work sat down. For longer journeys I use the train and have the option of a beer at the other end.

I’ve got a drivers licence if I need to hire a car but I’ve never felt the need to do that. I maybe take a cab a handful of times a year.

It’s better for my health, it’s better for my wallet (I spend around £500 a year on transport), it’s better for the environment. It’s really win-win.

I know some people really do need a car for work but many don’t.
Agreed that many people don't need a car but keep in mind public transport accessibility heavily depends on where you live, I don't have one because I moved to the outskirts of London but if I lived up North I probably would need one because the public transport up there is shocking up unless in the middle of a major city. The biggest problem is it's usually the poorest areas that can't get anywhere without a car and they're going to be hit by fuel rises the most.

I hate the argument that people struggle financially because of frivolous purchases and reckless spending and that people with comfortable standards of living are shrewder, harder working and more responsible.

Why shouldn't someone who works be unable to watch a bit of sport in their leisure time.

Ii is not their fault the cost of living is spiraling out of control.
I don’t believe I used the terms frivolous or reckless but the simple fact is that if income doesn’t increase at the same rate as expenses decisions have to be made, sometimes unedifying ones.

I don’t believe I used the terms frivolous or reckless but the simple fact is that if income doesn’t increase at the same rate as expenses decisions have to be made, sometimes unedifying ones.
It is a sensitive subject.
Plasma screens, iPhones, fags, booze, seem to be deemed essentials these PC days. And with cars too many have the motor but not the insurance, mot or licence.

It is a sensitive subject.
Plasma screens, iPhones, fags, booze, seem to be deemed essentials these PC days. And with cars too many have the motor but not the insurance, mot or licence.
Agreed and I hope both of my previous comments were not taken the wrong way. There’s a whole new generation that hasn’t experienced inflation, financial crises and going much further back bread and sugar shortages, power cuts etc.

A family member buys this. Said in her opinion, as good as Catsan. So cheap as chips £3.80 for 20 Litres. Can't see this price lasting though.

Waitrose · 10 L

£1.90 nearby​

In stock​

Waitrose & Partners Southend
Fossetts Way, Eastern Avenue, Southend-on-Sea
Open today: 07:30 - 20:00
01702 603403

10 Litres Absorbent Cat Litter - essential Waitrose

shopping
Cheers for the heads up @THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK. Maurice the rescue cat is happily parking his arse in it now in his litter tray and Mrs RHB is coughing up far less for the privilege, 9 quid less to be exact for 20ltrs.

Can you explain what this sentence even means?

It looks like a bot has just taken words from clickbait articles and put them together.
Items that, imo, are more luxury than basics are, seemingly, deemed essentials for today's norms.
@ORM understood, maybe it is an age thing, almost a Monty Python Yorkshire man type observations.
What is clickbait? (Joke)

Back