• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2022-23 Season Cards - credit card sales now open on OS

Give ST priority for away tickets? it would be a further incentive to put money forward and into our club.
And do we (SUFC) make any profit on away ticket sales?

No money is made from selling away tickets.

Hopefully a lot of clubs will be selling tickets directly for their games as letting season tickets have access to away tickets first renders the away ticket scheme pointless.

I can hope teams have seen sense and allow pay on the day too. Much easier.

@EnglandShrimper , that is the way I thought it was with away tickets, a time consuming and costly process for us that benefits the opposition.
And also IF ST got a priority it would further reward the "money up front" invested? similar to the big cup games of yesteryear?
And cash on the day. on the turnstile or contactless payment at turnstile would be good for unallocated seating or terraces.

To put things into respective

I've only bought a one season ticket in my life, it was the 1995-1996 season when Ronnie Whelan was our manager .

We was in the Championship and I believe we only sold 1400 season tickets in total that year.

So if we already sold around 2200 ( in the Non-League )

I personally think its quite good, considering I am ole school and recall the so called good times ..lol

To put things into respective

I've only bought a one season ticket in my life, it was the 1995-1996 season when Ronnie Whelan was our manager .

We was in the Championship and I believe we only sold 1400 season tickets in total that year.

So if we already sold around 2200 ( in the Non-League )

I personally think its quite good, considering I am ole school and recall the so called good times ..lol

League attendances were vastly smaller back then. Premier league football was only in its infancy and didn't generate the crowds, money or prestige it does now.

The country was still just a few years over the ongoing hooliganism that had blighted football in the 80s and early 90s.

Southends population has soared since with an extra 40k+ residents since then.

I had hair back then, now I dont. Things change.

Personally a city of our size should be getting decent gates at any level.

Personally a city of our size should be getting decent gates at any level.

That's an interesting comment Tom - bearing in mind the increase in people from London arriving in the Greater Southend area in the 60s and 70s, what do you think we should be attracting at RH and how many at the new stadium?

That's an interesting comment Tom - bearing in mind the increase in people from London arriving in the Greater Southend area in the 60s and 70s, what do you think we should be attracting at RH and how many at the new stadium?
I read an old article from a weekly football magazine from 1958 and they had a article on Southend United .... Root's Hall had just been built... And we was having the same problems back then.. our chairman at the time was hoping to attract s local supporters who still travelling to London to watch teams like Spurs .

Sadly Londoners who flight out of London to South Essex will never change and will support their London clubs and actually look down at Southend United as a small club.

Last edited:

It's a difficult question to answer.

The population of the Southend is now around 320k. That is higher than all other teams at this level, Notts aside. They of course are a 2 team city.

Crowds are dictated by many factors.

League position and subsequent entertainment levels.
Value for money and success
Facilities etc

At roots hall and challenging at the top of the national league. I'd expect regular 7.5k+, similarly to league two with maybe just a few slightly bigger followings and sizeable derby games against the O's and col u.

League 1 would probably be 10, 000+ per week for that level.

Championship would sell out

Premier league at roots hall. Isn't even doable.

Build a fantastic new stadium and use media well and I could see similar crowds to wrexham at this level. 8-10k

League 1 10-12k
Championship 12-15k
Prem. Full House

What hampers Southend United is so many that see the club as a basket case and rightly so.

Good vibes and a bright future put bumbs on seats.

Although it's great that we have a management and recruitment structure that is far more professional than anything we have had previously.

The issue, Ron Martin still pulls the strings behind the scenes. Whilst that is the case, we will always be closer to catastrophe than success.

I read an old article from a weekly football magazine from 1958 and they had a article on Southend United .... Root's Hall had just been built... And we was having the same problems back then.. our chairman at the time was hoping to attract s local supporters who still travelling to London to watch teams like Spurs .

Sadly Londoners who flight out of London to South Essex will never change and will support their London clubs and actually look down at Southend United as a small club.
Don’t know about Root’s Hall— it was 32 years before Joe was even born,yet alone able to buy a huge house,but I’m none too impressed with an article stating Roots Hall has just been built in 1958.

Just noticed that West Ham season ticket is cheaper than a Southend United season ticket.

That’ll be because they’re a less attractive proposition than a team with the flowing football of Maher, Currie and Benno.

We also don’t charge a booking fee and our season ticket covers more matches plus we will actually be playing for something rather than just making up the numbers.

Just noticed that West Ham season ticket is cheaper than a Southend United season ticket.

this is the way forward ...

the RH experience should be an increasingly expensive and very highly exclusive.

As a unique and rapidly disappearing football way of life following SUFC should be marketed to outsiders as a special insight to a dying traditional culture.

I have met many "football tourists" from Scandinavia and N America at Roots Hall and I suggest anyone without a proven long lasting family connection is charged premium rates - maybe GBP 250 for 2 - including burgers and seats near the West Stand noisy boys.

With a maximum attendance of 11k the opportunity to experience a game at Roots Hall should be closely restricted to genuine Shrimpers on the club database.

I would like the Trust to negotiate new bye laws with the council allowing the club to refuse entry to anyone wearing a West Ham shirt or colours - anyone wearing a Barcelona, Brasil or Paris SG shirt.

No-ne should be allowed in the East Stand who cannot identify an image of Billy Best.

It a precious and special thing to be a Southend fan ...

I suggest we subsidise coaches to the London Stadium on match days to keep any fakes away from the best stadium in the world ..

It's a difficult question to answer.

The population of the Southend is now around 320k. That is higher than all other teams at this level, Notts aside. They of course are a 2 team city.

Crowds are dictated by many factors.

League position and subsequent entertainment levels.
Value for money and success
Facilities etc

At roots hall and challenging at the top of the national league. I'd expect regular 7.5k+, similarly to league two with maybe just a few slightly bigger followings and sizeable derby games against the O's and col u.

League 1 would probably be 10, 000+ per week for that level.

Championship would sell out

Premier league at roots hall. Isn't even doable.

Build a fantastic new stadium and use media well and I could see similar crowds to wrexham at this level. 8-10k

League 1 10-12k
Championship 12-15k
Prem. Full House

What hampers Southend United is so many that see the club as a basket case and rightly so.

Good vibes and a bright future put bumbs on seats.

Although it's great that we have a management and recruitment structure that is far more professional than anything we have had previously.

The issue, Ron Martin still pulls the strings behind the scenes. Whilst that is the case, we will always be closer to catastrophe than success.
Think that population figure is the wider metro area, which pretty much swallows up all of the surrounding towns.
The Borough is more like 185,000, which is still sizeable.

I would see Swansea, Brentford and Reading as being perfectly acceptable parallels to use when comparing our likely potential.
All have similar metropolitan populations, all were getting similar crowds to us pre-ownership/fortune change, and all went on to build stadia between 17 - 23k.
Now they all comfortably average over 10k on a regular basis, floating between the Champ and Prem.

These should be our benchmark for ambition. I see no reason why we couldn't regularly host 10 - 12k on a regular basis if challenging at the top end of League 1 / scrapping in the Championship.

In a financial report for National press reknown finance journalist, shrimper, and SHSB, Simon Read writes that credit cards have hit a high of over 26% charge on interest and that all users should consider that when making purchases.
Those waiting to pay by credit card, would, from that, be better finding an alternative?

In a financial report for National press reknown finance journalist, shrimper, and SHSB, Simon Read writes that credit cards have hit a high of over 26% charge on interest and that all users should consider that when making purchases.
Those waiting to pay by credit card, would, from that, be better finding an alternative?
Don't think so.

0% interest if paid off in full and protection if the finances of the club go belly up.

No brainer!!

Back