• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

Got a quote for 20 foot of fencing (concrete posts and kick boards) and a gate for the back of my garden £1200, which seems to be a lot of money, I was expecting about £500.

Got a quote for 20 foot of fencing (concrete posts and kick boards) and a gate for the back of my garden £1200, which seems to be a lot of money, I was expecting about £500.
Should be roughly 100 a panel, so depends how many panels your getting. By that quote i'd say 12 unless you've chosen a very expensive fence panel

Should be roughly 100 a panel, so depends how many panels your getting. By that quote i'd say 12 unless you've chosen a very expensive fence panel

No, just the 3 panels needed and a gate and some craftsmanship to make it all fit and look nice. Just got another quote and it was 500 notes cheaper.

I was thinking £100 a panel and maybe £200 for a gate plus labour......

Needless to say, I didn't go with the £1200 quote :)

Last edited:
I know I keep going on about it but this one shocked me. Filled up at Tesco in Beckton in the morning at the start of my shift 190.9 for Diesel. Left work in the late afternoon, drove past the same Tesco. Diesel had gone up to 195.9p, what has warranted the 5p increase?
Premium diesel is 212.9p now at my local Shell garage.

I walk a lot more these days

There will be some substantial kick back soon against companies that are being greedy and hiking prices above real costs. Some whistleblowers are, hopefully going to step forward and other companies, besides the oil industry, will be seen to creaming off the pounds from folk to fatten shareholders accounts in the extreme.

What about using your motor bike? Cheaper?
I sold that a long time ago. I have been thinking about a commuter bike. The only thing that puts me off is riding on the 406. At times it’s like wacky racers.

Reactions: RHB
There will be some substantial kick back soon against companies that are being greedy and hiking prices above real costs. Some whistleblowers are, hopefully going to step forward and other companies, besides the oil industry, will be seen to creaming off the pounds from folk to fatten shareholders accounts in the extreme.
You don't get into oil if you care about being liked. I doubt any of them care if the public don't like them because there isn't anyone else to buy oil from.

Premium diesel is 212.9p now at my local Shell garage.

I walk a lot more these days
Good. Better for your wallet, better for your physical health, better for your mental health and better for the environment.

That’s not win-win that’s win-win-win-win.

Not every journey is of course walkable but lots are.

Good. Better for your wallet, better for your physical health, better for your mental health and better for the environment.

That’s not win-win that’s win-win-win-win.

Not every journey is of course walkable but lots are.
Most mornings I do a fake commute, which is a mile or two round the block. Really sets you up for the day.

Also been eating porridge instead of toast or cereal. Much cheaper and healthier

Last edited:
You think so, unfortunately that's capitalism for you. It's just supply and demand.
The one and only thing that will stop it is by punters voting with their feet by walking, cycling or going electric. It may hurt me at the pumps but my pension, which is partly invested in oil, is doing very nicely thank you very much.

I listened in to a presentation from a renewable energy operating company the other day. They were asked if they were worried about a windfall tax on profits - they said they pretty much already have it. Apparently many of the commercial sized subsidy tariffs on offshore wind in the uk had an agreement where the subsidy is up to a certain wholesale price, if the wholesale price goes above the subsided tariff they have to pay the excess to the Govt. They reckoned Govt had benefitted to the tune of around £1.5bn (I think it was) year to date. Double that to £3bn for the full year and that's a big chunk of cash!

Combine that with what must be a massive increase in the fuel tax take - the Govt are coining it in

Last edited:
Back