• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rail strike?

What do the RMT want?
Firstly safety to be maintained as it is and that is a major change the bosses want to make.
Better pay for those lower down the scales.
Retaining staff for ticket offices etc.
And not to have new conditions which will lessen the bonuses for working ****e shifts and weekends.

Seems fairly reasonable to me but not widely reported with the press seemingly intent on comparing top salary for experienced drivers with newly qualified other professionals.

Have I got that about right @MK Shrimper ?

Yep, pretty much. All you hear on social media is about train drivers pay which isn't what this fight is about. If Shapps manages to cut nearly 3000 maintenance staff from the front line, delays will rise and the network will become less safe for the travelling public. I find it galling that Grant Shapps represents Hatfield - the site for a major crash in 2000 that began the end of Railtrack.

That's why unions are important because they can actually force a difference.
And something alse alot of people fail to mention is that membership of a union isn't free. We pay to be represented at board level, to try and stop senior execs and share holders from creaming every last drop of profit to then just say, Sorry we are skint and have just come out of a pandemic/brexit/cost of living crisis/ cricko ripping us all off etc etc .

Basically it's crickos fault.

And something alse alot of people fail to mention is that membership of a union isn't free. We pay to be represented at board level, to try and stop senior execs and share holders from creaming every last drop of profit to then just say, Sorry we are skint and have just come out of a pandemic/brexit/cost of living crisis/ cricko ripping us all off etc etc .

Basically it's crickos fault.
Everything is my fault.

Yep, pretty much. All you hear on social media is about train drivers pay which isn't what this fight is about. If Shapps manages to cut nearly 3000 maintenance staff from the front line, delays will rise and the network will become less safe for the travelling public. I find it galling that Grant Shapps represents Hatfield - the site for a major crash in 2000 that began the end of Railtrack.

I was painting the other day with legendary East stand steward Wivs. So have to suffer Vine on radio 2 as he Wivs insists
on winding himself up.

Even the BBC made it all about drivers even though they were not on strike. Still quoting driver pay gets the angry phoning in and further anti union narrative achieved without any balance. The BBC was once respected around the world but have since become as bad as any private MSM corporation..

I was painting the other day with legendary East stand steward Wivs. So have to suffer Vine on radio 2 as he Wivs insists
on winding himself up.

Even the BBC made it all about drivers even though they were not on strike. Still quoting driver pay gets the angry phoning in and further anti union narrative achieved without any balance. The BBC was once respected around the world but have since become as bad as any private MSM corporation..
What chance is there of comparison between the wages ( and perks) of Lineker and an MP, a train driver, a rail line maintenance worker and a 10year nurse?
And Jeremy Vine?

on winding himself up.

Blimey, never of had old Googie as a Jeremy Vine man. More an Alan Carr fan

Blimey, never of had old Googie as a Jeremy Vine man. More an Alan Carr fan
He is not really a fan. Like all painters he has to have a badly tuned in, paint stained old radio with crap choice of dad pop blaring out.

I prefer peace and quiet to concentrate on the job. I’m paying the wages.

Back