• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer/Autumn Transfer Targets/Rumours Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people panicking with embargo nonsense. Several more players are already in the bagā€¦.. So iā€™m told.

Plus...aren't we all forgetting that the embargo only prevents you from signing players if you already have 23 registered players? We currently only have 20 players, which also includes 3 players that haven't signed their offers yet and 4 players which technically can still count as 'U23s'.

Mental how hysteria can build so quickly with no foundation whatsoever.

Funny you should say that I think we are about to resign Emyr Huws, a player far too good for league two but prone to injury. Also James Norwood is one released by Ipswich who keeps being mentioned.
Would be decent signing for you. Proven goalscorer at league 1/2 level.

Plus...aren't we all forgetting that the embargo only prevents you from signing players if you already have 23 registered players? We currently only have 20 players, which also includes 3 players that haven't signed their offers yet and 4 players which technically can still count as 'U23s'.

I think thatā€™s the EFL rules. I seem to recall the NL rules being a lot stricter.

Nobody is saying he's a crap player. Far from it. Many thought he was the best right-back in the division last season and his defensive stats were exemplary.

Problem is, we don't play a flat back four and we don't play with defensive full-backs. So the argument now in hindsight is that he probably wouldn't be a good fit for us at the time. We've had managers in the past trying to shoehorn square pegs into round holes. Now we might actually have a management team who are doing their research and going for players who seem to fit their preferred system and style of play. You've just got the arse because he might be going to Daggers.
Can easily be shifted onto the right side of a back three and be just as capable there.

Ben Chapman at LWB would be a brilliant option too, but sounds like there is interest from football league clubs.
I know we weren't rumoured to sign him, but he signed an extension at Ebbsfleet. 23 year old who played mainly as a RWB after their main wing-back (who went to Notts County) got injured, but also played at LWB, CB and CM.

Can easily be shifted onto the right side of a back three and be just as capable there.
But that is not where Torquay fans believe he is best utilised. The position he played in during their promotion challenge season which led to them proclaiming him the "best right back in the division" was right back. We arguably don't need to be going after him to play on the RHS of a back 3. We have/had other targets for that position.

I think thatā€™s the EFL rules. I seem to recall the NL rules being a lot stricter.

Not only that, but the term "embargo" is often used as a sweeping blanket term. There are various different types of transfer restriction you can be out under: no signings over the age of 23; no players who are under contract elsewhere; no permanent signings; no signings at all once your squad hits 23 members in size. Lots of nuances there that we don't really understand.

What makes you think his not ready to go as well?

He played the same division as Husin and he was ready to go from the off, he will also have a full pre season with us.

Cardwell and Powell were ready and that is the same level (all be it up north).

The lad has come from the same level as Lomas and Iā€™m sure your happy for him to get thrown straight in
We're all entitled to our opinions they are just thoughts on the pros and cons
I'm not against signing youngsters and them getting into the team, I merely pointed out they don't all get straight in the team, even the highly rated Wood, or some do more by circumstance such as Sayers, Kensdale and Dennis

I'm not against signing youngsters and them getting into the team, I merely pointed out they don't all get straight in the team, even the highly rated Wood, or some do more by circumstance such as Sayers, Kensdale and Dennis

Donā€™t forget, Wood signed part way through the season, and was part time, so was never going to go straight into the side.

But Wood, like the other youngsters will go through exactly the same pre-season (injuries permitting).

Itā€™s not like we are signing him in February and expecting him to go straight into the team, without a pre-season with us and go from part time training to full time.

Wood, Powell, Benton, Arnold etc etc will go through the same pre-season, so there is no reason that these younger players we are signing canā€™t go straight into the first team by the time the season rolls around.

Heā€™s not a youngster though. Jack Wood is a teenager, who had played, I think, half a season of adult football two levels below us before joining. He was always one for the future rather than the present.

Scott-Morris is is in his early to mid 20s and seems to have been playing first team football for at least 5 years. He started out at the level Wood was was playing first team football but for the last 18 months been playing in the division below us. Heā€™s very much a player for the present.

Heā€™s not really at all comparable in terms of lack of experience to Wood, Sayers (a 2nd year YTS), Dennis (a teenager on his first loan spell) or even Kensdale (half a season at Concord).

There may be an adjustment for full-time training (although we have pre-season for that) but he has the same sort of experience as Cardwell and Husin. Iā€™d expect him to start immediately.

It is easy to sign players, but getting the good ones can take a bit longer! Colchester haven't signed anyone yet because we are only after players who will be better than what we have or add another quality to the team, unfortunately that means there is a lot more negotiating to be done before you get them. Plenty of time left as yet, remember the sooner you sign them the sooner you have to pay them!
Waiting for Ipswich to formally release their players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back