• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The last time I was called a silly old c, was a couple of months ago. Similar one way situation, as I was driving my car down Central Avenue Southend, which is a one way street. Coming towards me was a guy about 21 on an illegal black e-scooter. He expected me to swerve or stop to the side to let him through, as he couldn't be bothered to go up the pavement. I stood my course(I would have braked rather than hit him), (In the High Street, my policy is to get out of the way for no e-scooter. as they're illegal in public, a menace, and they drive at everyone making people jump for them. Maybe I am a silly old c, Lol), and he swerved and all this road rage came from his mouth. What is it with us silly old people that we drive the right way along one way systems and roads, and expect no one to be driving the wrong way, at us?
Not sure if this is the case in Southend, but some one way streets in London allow cyclists to ride against the vehicular traffic flow

Not sure if this is the case in Southend, but some one way streets in London allow cyclists to ride against the vehicular traffic flow
There are a couple of streets/roads in the borough where that is permitted but there is are designated lanes marked out on the side of the roads with bike pictures and arrows painted on them.

Not in Southend. Those are cycling contraflow systems, and are being introduced in major cities to allow cyclists to use the quieter side streets and avoid the busy roads. They are clearly sign posted to let cyclists and everyone know they can ride the wrong way.
Anyway, e-scooters are classed as a motor vehicle, and not in the cycle class.

Not in Southend. Those are cycling contraflow systems, and are being introduced in major cities to allow cyclists to use the quieter side streets and avoid the busy roads. They are clearly sign posted to let cyclists and everyone know they can ride the wrong way.
Anyway, e-scooters are classed as a motor vehicle, and not in the cycle class.
Pier Hill?
Royal Terrace?

Tudor Road near the ground. I was nearly taken out by a cyclist when crossing the road and wrongly thinking that the one way system included the cycle lane which it doesn't. You can cycle against the one way traffic.

Last edited:
I was nearly knocked over by a cyclist on the pavement in Rayleigh a few days ago, near Iceland. We avoided colliding but, as he cycled off, he said 'no worries' as if he was due an apology from me for walking along the pavement. A couple who saw what happened commented that they could not believe what they just heard.

People moaning about cyclists. Just as much right to the road as anyone else. Try cycling on a 'dedicated cycle lane' and you'll soon realise why many cyclists will prefer the road.

People who insist on cycling along Ashingdon Road and Hall Road when each have had a dedicated cycle lane for many years!
They do the same on Pritttlewell Chase. Odd really, especially those that either don't have helmets or carry them on their arms.

There are complex reasons behind why people choose to wear a helmet or not. Personally I'm a fan of wearing a helmet but I also understand why people choose not to. Wearing hi-viz/helmets often leads to drivers being careless when overtaking cyclists, leading to more accidents/fatalities. In European countries like the Netherlands there is a cultural shift where cyclists rarely wear helmets and drivers are much more aware and careful about cyclists. It's the complete opposite here.

There are complex reasons behind why people choose to wear a helmet or not. Personally I'm a fan of wearing a helmet but I also understand why people choose not to. Wearing hi-viz/helmets often leads to drivers being careless when overtaking cyclists, leading to more accidents/fatalities. In European countries like the Netherlands there is a cultural shift where cyclists rarely wear helmets and drivers are much more aware and careful about cyclists. It's the complete opposite here.
That used to be the argument motorcyclists used before helmets were made mandatory for them.

Complex, eh, yeh right.

There’s not one cycle lane in Southend that is fit for purpose. You think the majority of roads are bad in the borough try the “cycle lanes”

That’s before weaving in an out of the white vans and taxis parked in them.

The enormous dump that an evil seagull deposited on my windscreen this morning. It wasn't even a bit contained, it was a wide spread load. I hate the bird with a vengeance.

Why some petrol stations are lowering their prices and some aren't.

Tesco Pitsea i filled up 5 litres (the minimum) to get me to work and paid £1.899 for the privilege for E10

Esso in Witham I topped the rest of my tank up and paid £1.699 for E10

Thats £0.20 a litre difference (roughly 11% cheaper). Slightly cheaper in Rochford BP (think its now around £1.669) but wasn't on my route unfortunately.

Esso aren't selling at a loss, and the forecourt is rammed. Tescos Pitsea I would imagine would continue to have 1 delivery a day. So what's the issue? It's surely just pure profitterring.

1658824988623.png

Tesco Pitsea i filled up 5 litres (the minimum) to get me to work and paid £1.899 for the privilege for E10

Thats £0.20 a litre difference (roughly 11% cheaper). Slightly cheaper in Rochford BP (think its now around £1.669) but wasn't on my route unfortunately.

Esso aren't selling at a loss, and the forecourt is rammed. Tescos Pitsea I would imagine would continue to have 1 delivery a day. So what's the issue? It's surely just pure profitterring.

View attachment 21216
It does seem odd - have you posted the picture on Tesco twitter or facebook account - see what they have to say?

It does seem odd - have you posted the picture on Tesco twitter or facebook account - see what they have to say?
If I had either I would. The most i do is write a strongly worded letter. If anyone wants to post on my behalf please do :Smile:

View attachment 21216
I paid 171.9 last night, which is about 20p/l cheaper than anywhere else round my way.

People who insist on cycling along Ashingdon Road and Hall Road when each have had a dedicated cycle lane for many years!
Try riding a bike along that cycle lane, it's a nightmare. Frequently broken up by junctions and shared with pedestrians.

Back