• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Boreham Wood, Saturday 6th August, 15:00ko, NL

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 138 90.8%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 109 71.7%
  • Jaden Crowhust

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 121 79.6%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 137 90.1%
  • Louis Lomas

Votes: 38 25.0%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 135 88.8%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 97 63.8%
  • Cavaghn Miley

Votes: 130 85.5%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 95 62.5%
  • Wes Fonguck

Votes: 56 36.8%
  • Dan Mooney

Votes: 135 88.8%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 41 27.0%
  • Callum Powell

Votes: 114 75.0%
  • Chris Wreh

Votes: 54 35.5%
  • Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Tommy Davis

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Ollie Coker

• Jon Benton

• Louie Arrowsmith

• Luke Reeve

• Jake Hyde

Votes: 94 61.8%

• Win

Votes: 68 44.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 32 21.1%
  • Lose

Votes: 14 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Well the pre-season skirmishes are over, the meet the Blues day is done, the season cards are about to be sent out and so it's time for the season to begin.

Friends of mine will often ask who we're playing at the weekend and when naming certain teams that they'll be familiar with (Notts County, Chesterfield, Wrexham, Torquay etc.) I can almost believe that we're a football league team again. Boreham Wood FC however is not one of those teams, however the reality is that's who we're playing in our first league game this season.

The team from Hertfordshire who inexplicably split the name of the place they're from (South End United anyone?) are the blues' first league opponents this year, and like last year when we played Kings Lynn really underline that we are now a non-league outfit. However, like most of you I'll still be there cheering them on and I'm determined to enjoy the ride!

Luke Garrard's side finished a creditable 9th last season and although they've lost impressive wing back Kane Smith to Stevenage, they've recruited another combative wing back in Dion Kelly-Evans who at 5'5" will be one of the few players in the league that has a height disadvantage to Callum Powell! They've also recruited our former loanee Zak Brunt who will add a creative spark to the centre of midfield.

Both games against them finished 1-0 last season, with the home side being the victors on both occasions - Jack Bridge sealing the win at Roots Hall with a rare header on a Tuesday night towards the end of the season. The game at their place was memorable only for the bizarre double yellow cards for Abu Ogogo when the score was 0-0 and The Wood were top of the table.

They tend to play a similar system to us, built on a strong defence so I'm expecting a tight game that might again be won by the odd goal (cue a 6-6 draw incoming!).

So, for the first time this season, who would you pick to start and what do you think the result will be?

Last edited:
I can't believe we are nearly done with the close season. With the interest raised on our new signings the time has just flown by.

I reckon I would struggle to name a team at the moment predominantly down to the fact that I haven't seen enough of everyone so I will pass on that, but I'm hopeful that we start off with a win, so I'm going for a 2-1 result to Southend.

"When Saturday Comes..." isn't it. Start of a new season. This will be our season. Scarves and rattles at the ready. Sends tingles down the spine. Marvellous. Two o'clock, team sheets. Why isn't Bridgey playing? Three o'clock approaches, palms sweating, tension building.......ref blows whistle and carefully selected team starts running in all directions....one-nil. Bugger.

Cant name a team,dont know who half these players are or havent seen them play! But I saw wreh against canvey and Powell has been on fire! I know mooney is has looked decent and steve Arnold is a league 1 keeper.

What he said!

Agreed. Best 11 from the available players, IMHO.

Would suggest that Lomas and GSM will probably be integrated into that team when fit, as would Cardwell to be honest...

However, there is always a "bolter" of a young player who pushes themselves into the team. Could it be Arrowsmith? Could it be Benton? Could it be Wood? Can't wait to find out...

Arnold

Hobson
Kensdale
Lomas

Crowhurst (may as well blood him early as a wildcard)
Husin
Cav
Ralph

Powell
Hyde
Mooney

SUBS: Wreh, Clifford, Fonguck, Bridge, Taylor

Best looking bench we've had in ages too. Lots of options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back