• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Q&A with Carl Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another response to "why now?" would be - because the club is at its lowest ever ebb. Even if Ron Martin manages to pull off his dream development, look what it has taken to get here. Neglect of the football side of things, a steing of horrendous owner decisions, a completely avoidable relegation out of the EFL for the first time in 100 years and the complete trashing of the club's reputation in football circles to the point where that reputation will never fully recover until Ron Martin is gone. That is unforgiveable, and I too cant believe that there aren't more of our fans frothing at the mouth because of it. Too many even sitting back and saying "I'm sure he'll go when the stadium is complete". No, not good enough, I'm afraid. There's no need to cling on for that long. Once the build begins in the autumn, there are plenty of ways to put assurances in place, such as a contract for the club to play at the new stadium should he sell and other agreements with the buyer. Perfectly reasonable for Carl or any other buyer to feel that they can make headway leading into the autumn and winter if the stadium build starts, and that is precisely when Ron Martin needs to walk away. The club badly needs a fresh start.
12 months ago I would agree we were in our lowest ever ebb. But we are rebuilding now, the team on the pitch is looking better. Stan got involved and helped to steady the ship, getting rid of bad eggs and bringing in people to help get the club out of the rot. Tom is doing an excellent job with all matters on and off the pitch. Now the training ground has started why would Ron not want to collect the eggs from his golden goose?

I have been an advocate of Ron out and think we could’ve done with someone saving us 12 months ago. Unfortunately now I cannot see Ron walking away with the project underway.

12 months ago I would agree we were in our lowest ever ebb. But we are rebuilding now, the team on the pitch is looking better. Stan got involved and helped to steady the ship, getting rid of bad eggs and bringing in people to help get the club out of the rot. Tom is doing an excellent job with all matters on and off the pitch. Now the training ground has started why would Ron not want to collect the eggs from his golden goose?

I have been an advocate of Ron out and think we could’ve done with someone saving us 12 months ago. Unfortunately now I cannot see Ron walking away with the project underway.
Yeah I understand that POV, things are definitely looking up on the pitch, but that's not difficult considering what came before. The issue is we're still out of the EFL and there are several clubs ahead of us who are better-equipped to get back in there. So perhaps not the lowest ebb, but still not far off it. The changes made to the Football Department will never realise their full potential while Martin is here and not providing them with the tools necessary to do their jobs properly - i.e. learning lessons and keeping us out of embargoes. The untold damage that he's wreaked upon this club in using it as a vehicle for his property development ambitions should have people frothing at the mouth and publicly urging him to leave at the earliest opportunity.

Once the stadium build starts, he can still ensure that he collects his big pot of gold. There will be plenty of creative and acceptable ways of selling the club whilst still ensuring that. He doesn't need to cling on and for the good of the club, he needs to move on once that stadium build phase begins. It will only be ego and Cult of the Personality that stops him.....wanting to be seen/remembered as the saviour who finally got us the new stadium.....despite the fact that it has taken over 20 years and running the club into the gutter to do it, and that it could be left with 3 sides and no provision for future expansion.

Last edited:
Yeah I understand that POV, things are definitely looking up on the pitch, but that's not difficult considering what came before. The issue is we're still out of the EFL and there are several clubs ahead of us who are better-equipped to get back in there. So perhaps not the lowest ebb, but still not far off it. The changes made to the Football Department will never realise their full potential while Martin is here and not providing them with the tools necessary to do their jobs properly - i.e. learning lessons and keeping us out of embargoes. The untold damage that he's wreaked upon this club in using it as a vehicle for his property development ambitions should have people frothing at the mouth and publicly urging him to leave at the earliest opportunity.

Once the stadium build starts, he can still ensure that he collects his big pot of gold. There will be plenty of creative and acceptable ways of selling the club whilst still ensuring that. He doesn't need to cling on and for the good of the club, he needs to move on once that stadium build phase begins.
It’s his train set and he will choo choo choose when to let someone else play with it.

He’s waited 20+ years for this moment and it’s finally coming to fruition. Unfortunately any perspective buyer has missed the boat! As soon as the funding was released for the training ground it was always going to be harder to get him out.

Look at Manchester United and their hatred of the Glazer family. They took over in 2003 and they are still protesting for them to get out now. Doesn’t matter how hard you protest, shout, scream, kick off if that lad whose ball it is wants to take it home, he’s taking it home regardless.

I want someone to take over from Ron and steer us in the right direction. The right person/team that can support the club and everything that comes with it. But unfortunately that ship has sailed now the development has started. The only chance of him changing his mind is if the development hits a snag.

Money doesn't win promotion, but lack of money gets relegations, embargos and lack of trust.
In our case it was never a lack of money. It was money badly spent.

Our lowest ebb was the summer when Luggy arrived and we had 4 players. Money was still found for the manager and he spent wisely. The other struggling club, Stockport, went out of the league.

Most mangers have had decent budgets MM didn’t because of covid and players on good L1 wages in the squad.

Sol was not backed because he was quickly found out as not the best brain in football. More importantly his gross misconduct activities meant he was never going to last.

I personally don’t understand what elements of the clubs new ownership would bring at this moment in time. FF is going ahead. Ron has separated himself from the running of the club. We have 3 young aspirational leaders in management. Apart from missing out on Kelly, we’ve had a good transfer summer with money actually being spent.

In previous seasons, we have been crippled by poor running and poor contract negotiating. Crap players under crap management on long contracts and big money. Stan has changed this.

Personally, not a fan of Ron, but he has turned the ship around since Stan and TL got involved. FF looks like it’s going ahead. I don’t see how beneficial it would be to go under the ownership of an investment venture company with no history and a pension fund only in it for the housing element. The only good part of this project is posters saying Carl is sound because they knew him from school. (No offense meant, Carl)

Bring more facts, figures, a vision and an outlined plan - and maybe some official backing, and I would reconsider to get behind it.

Another response to "why now?" would be - because the club is at its lowest ever ebb. Even if Ron Martin manages to pull off his dream development, look what it has taken to get here. Neglect of the football side of things, a steing of horrendous owner decisions, a completely avoidable relegation out of the EFL for the first time in 100 years and the complete trashing of the club's reputation in football circles to the point where that reputation will never fully recover until Ron Martin is gone. That is unforgiveable, and I too cant believe that there aren't more of our fans frothing at the mouth because of it. Too many even sitting back and saying "I'm sure he'll go when the stadium is complete". No, not good enough, I'm afraid. There's no need to cling on for that long. Once the build begins in the autumn, there are plenty of ways to put assurances in place, such as a contract for the club to play at the new stadium should he sell and other agreements with the buyer. Perfectly reasonable for Carl or any other buyer to feel that they can make headway leading into the autumn and winter if the stadium build starts, and that is precisely when Ron Martin needs to walk away. The club badly needs a fresh start.
I agree with you we need new ownership to completely move forward as club...... problem now is development has started on the new training ground, with FF stadium scheduled for work this year or early next year (I'm guessing). Doesn't make sense for Martin to sell up now, unless Carl and his consortium have raised sufficient funds to meet Martin demands (that will be high price) even Martin who seem hell bent on building his property dream will have price in head if a buyer shows interest. By reading some of the answers by Carl to fans, looks as though lot of work has been achieved to get a package together which may tempt Martin into selling. Be interesting to see if Martin is prepared to hear Carl proposal and potentially negotiate.

I personally don’t understand what elements of the clubs new ownership would bring at this moment in time. FF is going ahead. Ron has separated himself from the running of the club. We have 3 young aspirational leaders in management. Apart from missing out on Kelly, we’ve had a good transfer summer with money actually being spent.

In previous seasons, we have been crippled by poor running and poor contract negotiating. Crap players under crap management on long contracts and big money. Stan has changed this.

Personally, not a fan of Ron, but he has turned the ship around since Stan and TL got involved. FF looks like it’s going ahead. I don’t see how beneficial it would be to go under the ownership of an investment venture company with no history and a pension fund only in it for the housing element. The only good part of this project is posters saying Carl is sound because they knew him from school. (No offense meant, Carl)

Bring more facts, figures, a vision and an outlined plan - and maybe some official backing, and I would reconsider to get behind it.
You say in previous seasons we have been crippled by poor running...but we're still hearing of staff members not being paid and a transfer embargo etc.

However, I do agree with your point regarding Carl's proposition. He and his team really do need to produce something more tangaible than what we have been told so far. Otherwise, it'llbe like jumping out of the fire into a furnace

In our case it was never a lack of money. It was money badly spent.

Our lowest ebb was the summer when Luggy arrived and we had 4 players. Money was still found for the manager and he spent wisely. The other struggling club, Stockport, went out of the league.

Most mangers have had decent budgets MM didn’t because of covid and players on good L1 wages in the squad.

Sol was not backed because he was quickly found out as not the best brain in football. More importantly his gross misconduct activities meant he was never going to last.
Sorry Riggers. Have to disagree there.

Whilst of course that was indeed an awful period in the clubs history. I don't think that really compares to dropping into the Non-League football abyss for the first time and still having the same old financial issues 12 years later.

Hopefully we have bottomed out now and the slow climb back from oblivion has begun. But with Ron still steering the ship, you can forgive anyone for having major concerns.

I’m curious to know, do you suddenly believe we’re going to be a lot better off financially when the new stadium is built? Have you seen the latest photos of the stadium design? It’s packed full of housing with little room to expand and hardly any non match day revenue streams.

Retail was scrapped, leisure was scrapped, hotel was scrapped, all we have is a banqueting suite, that’s hardly going to be game changing revenue for the club is it.

Ron is doing this for his own personal fortune, he doesn’t care the club will be left with hardly any non match day revenue so long as him
and his family get rich from the development

Mods can we keep this thread to questions posted for Carl to answer - delete any answers not from Carl and move discussion to the other Carl thread please

Whilst of course that was indeed an awful period in the clubs history. I don't think that really compares to dropping into the Non-League football abyss for the first time and still having the same old financial issues 12 years later.

Hopefully we have bottomed out now and the slow climb back from oblivion has begun. But with Ron still steering the ship, you can forgive anyone for having major concerns.
I have to agree, being in non league is crap if I'm honest. Could take years getting out of this league! With only 2 promotion spots makes it very hard to get up. Wrexham have been stuck in this league for 15 years, this Could be us if we aren't careful.

Money doesn't win promotion, but lack of money gets relegations, embargos and lack of trust.
And destroys club culture, which in turn impacts the performance on the pitch.
It’s his train set and he will choo choo choose when to let someone else play with it.

He’s waited 20+ years for this moment and it’s finally coming to fruition. Unfortunately any perspective buyer has missed the boat! As soon as the funding was released for the training ground it was always going to be harder to get him out.

Look at Manchester United and their hatred of the Glazer family. They took over in 2003 and they are still protesting for them to get out now. Doesn’t matter how hard you protest, shout, scream, kick off if that lad whose ball it is wants to take it home, he’s taking it home regardless.

I want someone to take over from Ron and steer us in the right direction. The right person/team that can support the club and everything that comes with it. But unfortunately that ship has sailed now the development has started. The only chance of him changing his mind is if the development hits a snag.
You're right in that it's his train set, but every train set has a value that the owner is happy to sell it for.

Our first meeting about this project was in February 2021, but frankly we aren't going to show all our cards in a public forum when there will (hopefully) be a negotiation that takes place. Hope you understand the reasons why at this stage - and soon, we should be able to share more, both in terms of substance and vision.
I agree with you we need new ownership to completely move forward as club...... problem now is development has started on the new training ground, with FF stadium scheduled for work this year or early next year (I'm guessing). Doesn't make sense for Martin to sell up now, unless Carl and his consortium have raised sufficient funds to meet Martin demands (that will be high price) even Martin who seem hell bent on building his property dream will have price in head if a buyer shows interest. By reading some of the answers by Carl to fans, looks as though lot of work has been achieved to get a package together which may tempt Martin into selling. Be interesting to see if Martin is prepared to hear Carl proposal and potentially negotiate.
We believe we've raised enough to make a compelling offer, and it doesn't involve any shenanigans like putting the club into administration.
You say in previous seasons we have been crippled by poor running...but we're still hearing of staff members not being paid and a transfer embargo etc.

However, I do agree with your point regarding Carl's proposition. He and his team really do need to produce something more tangaible than what we have been told so far. Otherwise, it'llbe like jumping out of the fire into a furnace
See above. We have provided details of funding to some interested parties relevant to the deal who will keep it confidential, we aren't prepared at this stage to plaster everything over a public forum.

Indeed, it's the lowest I've ever seen the club, and I'm sure the same for most of us... And financial issues at the club seem to have been a constant throughout my adult life.

Thanks @Carl - any thoughts on my question about the Council and their current interest in the property side? How would that work with the pension fund, as it seems to me that it would impact on the potential return for them due to the Council taking on a lot of the properties and receiving rents for them?

Mods can we keep this thread to questions posted for Carl to answer - delete any answers not from Carl and move discussion to the other Carl thread please
That will basically mean deleting virtually the entire thread….regrettably

I’m curious to know, do you suddenly believe we’re going to be a lot better off financially when the new stadium is built? Have you seen the latest photos of the stadium design? It’s packed full of housing with little room to expand and hardly any non match day revenue streams.

Retail was scrapped, leisure was scrapped, hotel was scrapped, all we have is a banqueting suite, that’s hardly going to be game changing revenue for the club is it.

Ron is doing this for his own personal fortune, he doesn’t care the club will be left with hardly any non match day revenue so long as him
and his family get rich from the development
This is simply untrue and as been covered before. Tom has explained the indicative level of revenues achieved by Gillingham (where has had first hand knowledge) and the facilities in the new stadium will be in advance of that. Further, outlets have been expanded in the initial 3 sides to increase revenue in the first phase.

This is simply untrue and as been covered before. Tom has explained the indicative level of revenues achieved by Gillingham (where has had first hand knowledge) and the facilities in the new stadium will be in advance of that. Further, outlets have been expanded in the initial 3 sides to increase revenue in the first phase.
Sorry did you just use Gillingham as an example? A club that are in a pretty awful financial mess too? I’m not disputing what Tom has said as I think he’s done a fantastic job since he’s arrived but sorry Ron is full of ****.

Carl
It seems to me that by airing all of this on this forum (which is a strange way to conduct this sort of business if you ask me but hey ho) you are asking the fans to rise up and protest and effectively force Ron to accept your consortiums offer and its only fair that they know what they are really fighting for because lets be honest we all know what this is about and its not the football club known as SUFC is it?
So here are some questions for you
What guarantees and assurances can you give to the following.
1) all debts currently owed to all of RM's businesses will be written off as stated by RM and will not be pursued or called in by the new investors which would probably bankrupt the club?
2) The stadium will be built in accordance with the current planning application and will not be changed or scaled down to make way for more housing which is what this is all about isnt it?
3) The proposed rental agreement with RM will be honoured and effectively SUFC will not be charged physical rent on the new stadium
4) What investment will be made into the footballing side of all of this ie player recruitment, infrastructure, management etc
5) Is the agreement to give Southend council homes for them to claim the rent an integral non negotiable part of the scheme and planning

I appreciate that there is some detail that needs to be finalised but an honest answer in principle would be much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back