• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Refwatch ........ Wrexham (H)

If there was corruption involved doesn't the flag/handball/whatever get given right away? Rather than make a spectacle of it for all to see. They are just clueless that's all

I doubt it too, but I think your logic is flawed. The lack of money (especially where the ref is concerned) is exactly why betting syndicates would target refs at this level.
No one cares about the National League, certainly not in any volume and in amounts that a syndicate might be interested in. It's hard enough to find many markets on the main bookies sites for NL games. If they did, they would stand out like a sore thumb.

The refs are poor; I wouldn't doubt their integrity but I would absolutely question their ability!

They could tell you the square root of a pickled onion but couldn't tell you how to open the jar!

No one cares about the National League, certainly not in any volume and in amounts that a syndicate might be interested in. It's hard enough to find many markets on the main bookies sites for NL games. If they did, they would stand out like a sore thumb.

The refs are poor; I wouldn't doubt their integrity but I would absolutely question their ability!
Asian syndicates seem to bet on anything and everything. NL referees who earn next to nothing would be an easy target for them.

However I totally agree with your last paragraph!

Last edited:

Londonblue is spot on. You don't need to care about a sporting event to pump lots of corrupt money through it.

However, if you were a global match-fixing syndicate you'd have thousands of more suitable games to fix than one in England, so I don't believe it was a fix either, just incompetence.

I find this continuing reference to corruption ridiculous in the extreme. Every week we see on the TV highlights goals awarded that are literally yards offside, ludicrous decisions for penalties etc. The main bone of contention leading to these assertions of corruption appears to be the disallowed goal which at least had the benefit of being marginal on not one, but two counts. It might have been handball, it might not. It might have been offside, it might not. There is no incontrovertible evidence either way on either issue.
Referees might be incompetent on occasions (on too many occasions some might say, although probably only when it affects their team) but corrupt? I don't think so.

Very true @Mick , they are also human, yes they are! And this was a big game for the chap, he was doing okay then the harsh booking of Mooney brought him some loud and lengthy abuse which he may have noticed! Unfortunately, coincidence? We didn't get much of a fair shake from the officials after that, deliberate? Subconsciously adverse to us?

I would like them to talk together more and also use what the 4th official sees so to get the correct decisions.

Very true @Mick , they are also human, yes they are! And this was a big game for the chap, he was doing okay then the harsh booking of Mooney brought him some loud and lengthy abuse which he may have noticed! Unfortunately, coincidence? We didn't get much of a fair shake from the officials after that, deliberate? Subconsciously adverse to us?

I would like them to talk together more and also use what the 4th official sees so to get the correct decisions.
I wouldn’t say Mooneys booking was harsh, in fact a good deal of us have been moaning about time wasting by other teams over the last few years, that goes unpunished by refs.

It’s just sods law that when we do it, we are punished.

I wouldn’t say Mooneys booking was harsh, in fact a good deal of us have been moaning about time wasting by other teams over the last few years, that goes unpunished by refs.

It was a booking for time wasting, early on, in a nil nil game, inside Wrexham's half, in a non dangerous position; those are the "harsh" points, also it wasn't a repeated offence or something which the ref had warned about.
And it wasn't repeated afterwards, by the ref, when other players did similar.
I argue the biggest waster of time was the ref with Collin's retaken kicks, the retaken 2nd half kick off and the excess time to overturn the goal.

It was a booking for time wasting, early on, in a nil nil game, inside Wrexham's half, in a non dangerous position; those are the "harsh" points, also it wasn't a repeated offence or something which the ref had warned about.
And it wasn't repeated afterwards, by the ref, when other players did similar.
I argue the biggest waster of time was the ref with Collin's retaken kicks, the retaken 2nd half kick off and the excess time to overturn the goal.
The inconsistencies of reffing, particularly emphasised at NL level.

It was harsh considering what Wrexham were getting away with!

Apologies for being this tread back but given the subject it seemed the best place to mention there’s a very interesting interview with someone from ref support uk on the last price of football podcast.
Given some comments on this ref it’s worth a listen

Back