• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our Stan and his gestures

Hey Texas Eslan ( where did you get that name from ! )

On social media my aim is simple, just to amplify everything good our club does at a time when we all know the last 3 years have been tough, especially for staff but also supporters who've wondered whether we'd have a club to support.

30 years ago my sister had terminal cancer, and I was playing for our club. I was 22, didn't want my Mom to face the trauma of seeing her first born dying, alone, and the way the club ( Vic, John Adams, Barry Fry ) treated me with much kindness , support and "go home anytime and see your sister and Mom " never really left me. That's without the support of you guys on a Saturday which helped along my way in my career.

Neil ( who I visited today ) and his two brothers visit Cambridge from Southend every day. They did yesterday before going to Barnet to support our club. That tells me everything I need to know about what our Shrimper family is, has always been and should continue to be, whoever serves it.

I took one of Kacper's shirts, a big hug, a few stories from yesterday and a cuppa with Neil's wonderful family who are going through what my Mom and our family went through 30 years ago.

Neil supported me then, and I'll support him now, that's how families act and we are all reading this as part of a family. A very special and old one at that.

Last night I saw and heard 1500 noisy souls enjoying their team win, a regular feeling now after long hard seasons. Powelly and Bridgy experienced that same noise and passion that I felt at Hillsborough all those years ago. The faces change, but the family stays the same.

Neil may not have long, it's his 50th on Friday and I hope and pray as we all should that he makes it so that his family can smile and laugh a little amongst the pain and anguish.

Our club was built by our supporters, and our supporters as I said this time last year, should be at the centre of everything we do. Unless we can show that, mean that, embrace that and feel that then we can't call ourselves United, or a community club.

Neil is all of us, and someday we all will pass on. But if we help eachother, fight for each other, care for each other, agree to disagree at times yet still find more in common than keeps us apart then we will then live up to our famous club name.

To Neil, Happy Birthday, UP THE BLUES!
I might not have always been your biggest fan but fair play, very nice thing to do!

On social media my aim is simple, just to amplify everything good our club does at a time when we all know the last 3 years have been tough, especially for staff but also supporters who've wondered whether we'd have a club to support.

30 years ago my sister had terminal cancer, and I was playing for our club. I was 22, didn't want my Mom to face the trauma of seeing her first born dying, alone, and the way the club ( Vic, John Adams, Barry Fry ) treated me with much kindness , support and "go home anytime and see your sister and Mom " never really left me. That's without the support of you guys on a Saturday which helped along my way in my career.

Neil ( who I visited today ) and his two brothers visit Cambridge from Southend every day. They did yesterday before going to Barnet to support our club. That tells me everything I need to know about what our Shrimper family is, has always been and should continue to be, whoever serves it.

I took one of Kacper's shirts, a big hug, a few stories from yesterday and a cuppa with Neil's wonderful family who are going through what my Mom and our family went through 30 years ago.

Neil supported me then, and I'll support him now, that's how families act and we are all reading this as part of a family. A very special and old one at that.

Last night I saw and heard 1500 noisy souls enjoying their team win, a regular feeling now after long hard seasons. Powelly and Bridgy experienced that same noise and passion that I felt at Hillsborough all those years ago. The faces change, but the family stays the same.

Neil may not have long, it's his 50th on Friday and I hope and pray as we all should that he makes it so that his family can smile and laugh a little amongst the pain and anguish.

Our club was built by our supporters, and our supporters as I said this time last year, should be at the centre of everything we do. Unless we can show that, mean that, embrace that and feel that then we can't call ourselves United, or a community club.

Neil is all of us, and someday we all will pass on. But if we help eachother, fight for each other, care for each other, agree to disagree at times yet still find more in common than keeps us apart then we will then live up to our famous club name.

hi stan i can remember when your sister was very poorly ,always remember me and my mates were walking into the ground at cambridge and barry fry was standing outside on his own ,so we stopped said hello asked if he was ok and he said i`m looking for stan collymore he`s traveled to see his sister so i don`t know if he will be playing today . strange to remember that a long time ago , thank`s for all you are doing behind the scene`s for our club

Like so many others, I have first hand experience of losing very close family to this awful disease and know for sure that your visit meant the world to Neil and his family. They're very much in my thoughts today.

Thank you, Stan. For going on behalf of all of us and for representing the best of us. We are a family.

Great Stuff Stan sure you have made his day and put a smile on Neil’s face which is priceless. Up the Blue Boys!!!!

Happy birthday Neil..Mr Collymore...i tip my hat to you..your a gent!

I loved the pics of Stan with Neil, as it’s an heart warming moment for me and all of us Shrimperzone members. If the trolls 🧌 on twitters don’t have have a heart ❤️ for the pics, they are not human at all.

I am Neil's brother and was there with Neil when Stan visited. I have to say Stan was amazing. Completely understanding when my brother wasn't in a fit state to meet him when he first arrived and waited patiently until he was. Engaged with all the family on what was a difficult day and even participated in some hand moulding with him.

The visit was amazing for my brother and also great publicity for the hospice who have cared for my brother with compassion and given him as much dignity as possible. Very easy to think that Stan appeared for a photo opportunity but he was with us for a good hour and a half and brightened the day for everyone.

Stan, if you read this...Thanks again....and for everyone who has offered their support....Thank you.

Neil's life was tuned upside down when he suffered a group of seizures at the end of June. These were the first major signs there was something major wrong. He had smaller signs...fatigue, mood swings which he put down to stress and age. Please...If such symptoms ring a bell with you or anyone you know, get yourselves checked.

Thanks for reading

Cary

I am Neil's brother and was there with Neil when Stan visited. I have to say Stan was amazing. Completely understanding when my brother wasn't in a fit state to meet him when he first arrived and waited patiently until he was. Engaged with all the family on what was a difficult day and even participated in some hand moulding with him.

The visit was amazing for my brother and also great publicity for the hospice who have cared for my brother with compassion and given him as much dignity as possible. Very easy to think that Stan appeared for a photo opportunity but he was with us for a good hour and a half and brightened the day for everyone.

Stan, if you read this...Thanks again....and for everyone who has offered their support....Thank you.

Neil's life was tuned upside down when he suffered a group of seizures at the end of June. These were the first major signs there was something major wrong. He had smaller signs...fatigue, mood swings which he put down to stress and age. Please...If such symptoms ring a bell with you or anyone you know, get yourselves checked.

Thanks for reading

Cary

All the best to you and your family. Glad Stan was able to make the day a memorable one, wonderful to see Shrimpers sticking together.

Thanks for reading

Cary
I think I speak for us all when I say we are ALL there for you. We, as a fanbase, are unique. Unique in that we see each other as family before anything else.

Stan is the beacon for all SUFC fans. We are all with you.

One love. One family.

Thanks for reading

Cary
1st of all much love to your family going through these difficult times, the work that Hospices do is underrated, and I hope Neil has a great 50th.
I have no doubt that Stan was not using this as a photo opportunity, the suggestion of such would be a huge discredit to a man who is dragging our club back to a degree of respectability.

Thanks for reading

Cary
Hi Cary

Just wanted to say thanks for letting me come and visit Neil, and being able to share some time with you all is genuinely something I'll never forget.

Like I told you, my Sister died of palate cancer when I was at Southend, and the club and supporters saw me through ending with a special day against Luton despite losing my Sister not long after.

So being there for Neil, even for 90 minutes was just a heartfelt thank you for his support in my hour of need. And you, and your brother and every Shrimper.

Hope Neil had a wonderful 50th last Friday, hope we can give him another victory on Tuesday and I hope his lovely wife and children, your Mum who held my hand and the two of you brothers can get many more hours of love to share in the coming days and weeks.

I'm near Wolves, my mates are all season ticket holders and although I'm a Villan , the Wolvrs motto has real meaning to me and I hope it will for you.

"Out of the darkness, cometh the light". And it will.

Lots of love, Stan Collymore and Family.

seriously : This man SVC is a true legend ,and if RM dosent name a stand at the new stadium after him i hope the supporters groups will for once join together and make a mass protest .
What he has done and is doing is way above and beyond the call of duty,Giving our club its good name back. Stan i may not be there to support in person ,but you have my utmost respect ,THANKYOU from the bottom of my heart.

Back