• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Rubbish manager, fantastic signing

Yeah Wignall actually made a number of good signings - Leon Constantine another that season, and IIRC he brought Flahavan back after realising his mistake of letting him go. He was just a terrible manager.

So the SVC anniversary got me thinking. Colin Murphy was a good bloke who never used 2 words when 500 would do. Not our best manager but he absolutely nailed it signing Stanley! I would say the same about Mark Molesley and Hobson.

That got me thinking - which other SUFC managers, who are considered unsuccessful in their time at the club, redeemed themselves (partially or wholly) with a cracking signing or two?
To be fair, Colin Murphy did not want to sign Stan Collymore. He wanted to sign Steve Jones from Billericay, who was signed by West Ham instead. Vic Jobson spotted Stan when watching a Palace reserve game, and made it happen.

To be fair, Colin Murphy did not want to sign Stan Collymore. He wanted to sign Steve Jones from Billericay, who was signed by West Ham instead. Vic Jobson spotted Stan when watching a Palace reserve game, and made it happen.
Fair enough. I was too young to know the ins and outs really. The question of the thread still stands though.

Did Dick Bate sign anyone decent?

Then who signed Sam McCrory, Harry Threadgold and our all time and still is to this day top goalscorer Roy Hollis.

ALAN little - Damon Searle also Martin Currathers (spelling) Neil Tolson, in fact Little made some good signings and even more strange was his sacking as we were on form and playing well

Wish My Brain Was As Good As Some Of You Lot.
I Can’t Remember That Well 🫤
I Do Have An Excuse though, I’m in My Seventies Now!
But Still Have That Passion For Southend United. COYB, UTB 💙💙 :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter:

There are lots of echoes in this room - people not reading the whole thread, I think.

Anyway, what about Murphy signing Collymore or Wignall signing Gower?

Back