• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The good old days in the North Bank

Great times, standing as a kid by the gate behind the goal, would love to be there now as an adult, but guess in general was just better times

Yes, yes, yes - Billy is the Best...sung to the tune of Autumn Almanac by The Kinks.
Dates from October, '66 - a god year for winning World Cups, hence the 12,000 plus in the Hall on a Friday night.
I'm familiar with the Kinks tune but the Billy Best era was a bit before my time, it sounds like a quality song 👍

Does anyone remember a song about 'the great Liverpool came in 79' or something along those lines? I'm sure I recall something being sung about it but I never picked up on the full lyrics

Used to love watching this from the East Blues!

There was also the "In your Liverpool (or any other Northern city, but I remember it being mainly Liverpool) homes, you look in the dustbin for something to eat, you find a dead cat and you think it's a treat, in your Liverpool homes!"
Wasn’t it slums, rather than homes?

Those were the days my friend
We took the Stretford End
We took the Kop, the North Bank Highbury
We thought they’d never end
Those were the days, oh yes those were the days

Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankly
Have you heard of the North Bank Highbury
Shanks says no, I don’t think so
But I’ve heard of the North Bank, Southend

A time to remember, a time to recall
The champions of Europe, the great Liverpool
They came down to Roots Hall, were ready to ruck
But the Southend were waiting, we kicked them to ….

We took the Stretford End
We took the Kop, the North Bank Highbury
We thought they’d never end
Those were the days, oh yes those were the days

Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankly
Have you heard of the North Bank Highbury
Shanks says no, I don’t think so
But I’ve heard of the North Bank, Southend

A time to remember, a time to recall
The champions of Europe, the great Liverpool
They came down to Roots Hall, were ready to ruck
But the Southend were waiting, we kicked them to ….
That's the one, thank you for the enlightenment 👍

The South Bank one of a couple of months back will be ready to buy from the Trust soon ..... then this one. A wonderful set of prints by Keith.
I'll be adding to the collection. Can you announce availability on the main Chit Chat thread as I don't think the Trust forum get as much visibility.

Does anyone remember a song about 'the great Liverpool came in 79' or something along those lines? I'm sure I recall something being sung about it but I never picked up on the full lyrics

A team to remember, a team to recall,
The mighty Liverpool, the best of them all,
Now they came to Southend in '79
Half filled the North Bank, their singing was fine,
But Southend were ready and ready to ruck
And the mighty Liverpool got battered to f**k

There was a ruder version…

In your Liverpool slums, in your Liverpool slums
You p??? in the sink and you sh?t in the bath
You t?ss off your granddad and think it’s a laugh
In your Liverpool slums.
Wasn’t one of the verses

In your Northern slums
Your mums on the game and your dads in the nick
You can’t get a job ‘cos you’re too ****ing thick
In your Northern slums

A team to remember, a team to recall,
The mighty Liverpool, the best of them all,
Now they came to Southend in '79
Half filled the North Bank, their singing was fine,
But Southend were ready and ready to ruck
And the mighty Liverpool got battered to f**k
That’s it, I thought the year 79 got a mention so I think this one is the version I recall. Love it, cheers for that. 👍

Back