• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

“Ask not what your Club can do for you – ask what you can do for your Team,”

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
The title is a bad bastardisation of the famous JFK quote. but it does pose the question regarding what fans can do for our club in these dire times. A chunk of us have already donated our hard earnt into Go Fund Me coffers, but would you be prepared to take a more active role in the cleanliness of the ground that we all sit in? Would you be prepared to act as a volunteer to man entry turnstiles? And no doubt there are loads of other tasks that could be undertaken by the Blues faithful. I have no idea whether volunteer work would be allowed given the possible insurance issues. But at the end of the day its's 'our' club that we're constantly moaning about (rightly so), and if we want to sit in cleaner conditions than we do now, then can we help?

Before anyone starts on the 'Ron Out - It's his Club and his cleaner's job' approach, I know that, but if it was a starter, then I would put my hand up to help cos it's my Club too.

What do you think?

If the club ceased to exist and the fans had to reform as AFC Southend I’m pretty sure we would have an army of volunteers to do every non first team task for free including admin, accounts, ticket sales, ground maintenance etc. However while Ron is our owner there will be few offers of help. If I remember correctly last time help was requested to paint Boots and Laces only one person turned up. Whether anyone likes it or not Ron is toxic.

If the club ceased to exist and the fans had to reform as AFC Southend I’m pretty sure we would have an army of volunteers to do every non first team task for free including admin, accounts, ticket sales, ground maintenance etc. However while Ron is our owner there will be few offers of help. If I remember correctly last time help was requested to paint Boots and Laces only one person turned up. Whether anyone likes it or not Ron is toxic.
Well this thread started well

The title is a bad bastardisation of the famous JFK quote. but it does pose the question regarding what fans can do for our club in these dire times. A chunk of us have already donated our hard earnt into Go Fund Me coffers, but would you be prepared to take a more active role in the cleanliness of the ground that we all sit in? Would you be prepared to act as a volunteer to man entry turnstiles? And no doubt there are loads of other tasks that could be undertaken by the Blues faithful. I have no idea whether volunteer work would be allowed given the possible insurance issues. But at the end of the day its's 'our' club that we're constantly moaning about (rightly so), and if we want to sit in cleaner conditions than we do now, then can we help?

Before anyone starts on the 'Ron Out - It's his Club and his cleaner's job' approach, I know that, but if it was a starter, then I would put my hand up to help cos it's my Club too.

What do you think?
A great social consciousness question posed, which in times of socioeconomic strife also pops up within the platform of football, and so it should. The state of the club, or it's cleanliness is a result of our participation. I'm sure people are employed to do these tasks but maybe Mr fox popped in early doors, as, as we all know the ground is mainly empty from day to day. Maybe those staff are not paid, or can't be bothered. I can imagine Mr pigeon and Mr fox doing their business and wandering down Shakespeare to the tune of ... There's no one there, theres no....
Interestingly Pre season previously in better economic times maintenance has been undertaken at Roots Hall, volunteerily by fans, and more recently in similar socially conscious acts; the Welsh fans at the euros, and the Japanese at Qatar fan parks. Time and inclination, not just emotional outbursts are better positive servants to the cause.

I was going to say that I would be prepared to clean the toilets in the west stand which are a disgrace. However I then thought maybe I'm doing the club a disservice. I don't see the condition of the toilets at 2.00 pm on a match day. They might be pristine. Any motorway service station or public toilets will tell you that many people's toilet habits leave a lot to be desired.
I think we could ask Tom what would be helpful to the club and go from there.

Bobby Moore opened a fans protest meeting with exactly that phrase in the early/mid eighties (club were at rock bottom/record low crowds etc).

A great social consciousness question posed, which in times of socioeconomic strife also pops up within the platform of football, and so it should. The state of the club, or it's cleanliness is a result of our participation. I'm sure people are employed to do these tasks but maybe Mr fox popped in early doors, as, as we all know the ground is mainly empty from day to day. Maybe those staff are not paid, or can't be bothered. I can imagine Mr pigeon and Mr fox doing their business and wandering down Shakespeare to the tune of ... There's no one there, theres no....
Interestingly Pre season previously in better economic times maintenance has been undertaken at Roots Hall, volunteerily by fans, and more recently in similar socially conscious acts; the Welsh fans at the euros, and the Japanese at Qatar fan parks. Time and inclination, not just emotional outbursts are better positive servants to the cause.
So, does that mean that, if asked, you would volunteer?

Appreciate what’s being said here and everyone is trying their level very best to find a way round or out of this cluster f..k.

There’s a weird kind of atmosphere creeping in now and yesterday with things breaking down or not working coupled with the ground looking like a health hazard only makes things worse, you can see it on peoples faces.

Not really sure what I’m trying to say here but we all seem to be clutching at straws right now whilst we see our great old club literally crumble before our eyes 😢.

So, does that mean that, if asked, you would volunte

So, does that mean that, if asked, you would volunteer?
If staff were being paid and had received training in such tasks (as health hazards are possible) then no. If that scenario didn't exist then like COYBS there would need to be answers to questions before considering 'it'. Does that explain my position for you?

Appreciate what’s being said here and everyone is trying their level very best to find a way round or out of this cluster f..k.

There’s a weird kind of atmosphere creeping in now and yesterday with things breaking down or not working coupled with the ground looking like a health hazard only makes things worse, you can see it on peoples faces.

Not really sure what I’m trying to say here but we all seem to be clutching at straws right now whilst we see our great old club literally crumble before our eyes 😢.
The nails are being banged into the coffin. At this moment in time I really am worried for our club. More so than ever before. The silence from everyone at the club is very concerning. Why has IT not even acknowledged the financial help given to the club. I attended a relatives funeral Friday. I feel SUFC is close to its funeral and it is down to one c**t only.

What do you think?
Yes I would help where I could

Yes I would but it would be galling doing so as will just be subsidising RM.

Honest question however: why doesn't he down size his house to help his ailing business with the proceeds ? Most self-employed people would do this if their business was going down the pan like his is.

Never heard the Rose West stand so quiet as yesterday…..Kev and co got us in a great position and the little worm Ron has made sure all the good work will be undone fairly soon…..think protests should start right now as he hates that, Stan got him off the hook once and to do this to the club in a decent position is unforgivable!

Yes I would but it would be galling doing so as will just be subsidising RM.

Honest question however: why doesn't he down size his house to help his ailing business with the proceeds ? Most self-employed people would do this if their business was going down the pan like his is.

He has probably already got a 100% Mortgage and negative equity on his gaff.

Back