• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What would you want from the new stadium?

The more quailty consessions outside on a matchday, with maybe picnic style benches, the better the match day experience and general atmosphere will be.

A pub and other community attractions to bring in punters and give the state life throughout the week would add more non-footy revenue and maybe add to the attendance figures with new fans.

Oh, and toilets that flush and hot water from the taps.

It's a rare opportunity to be forward thinking. I'd love it to be congealed with community based openings, including great food outlets and places that kids (our future revenue) and females alike feel very comfortable, whether that means child friendly creches or facilities or more ethnic/ gender lead influences which can only serve to bolster crowds ( I rarely see non white supporters, which exist in huge numbers!) and an enlightened offering by the club. It will pay off. Primarily tho and most importantly for me personally I like stadia with flat 4 sided designs, not oval. I believe the social dynamics that play out in every match are enhanced by this, as is safe standing. Singing zones, a supporters band and places for supporters paraphernalia. Talking of singing I'd like he stadia to host large scale outside events such as bands and neutral match day abilities. A large cabinet on public display for future silverware. A 15ft bronze statue of a SUFC hero in the grounds entrance (!) That's all.

Safe standing
decent bar areas
decent food outlets
merchandise areas in each stand

whatever helps people enjoy their experience and wanting to come back again

If done correctly, the stadium can offer a truly 7 day a week money making ploy for the club. On top of the space we already know about, like hospitality, corporate function space etc.

They could have a space with food concessions (major brand franchises) run as 7 day a week operation and takeaway / delivery into the local housing, I believe the only thing that one is McDonalds?

With the lack of pubs, I can imagine a major franchise also opening there, a westherspoons franchise or similar would not be surprising to attach itself to the retail park.

This, the club should be ambitious about this stuff. I know some may be put off by the idea of franchises, but there are some great mid tier franchises too which will still have the indie feel.

Wetherspoons don't usually franchise but Marstons do, although I'm sure the Wetherspoons at service stations (Extra) are likely franchised so it is possible.

There's also an argument towards using a 'super franchisee' like SSP to manage the units and source the right brands - depends on the deal available and the return generated.

Operating dark kitchens for other major brands from the club's facilities would also be a no-brainer IMO.

Some thoughts, these should all be obvious thoughts for the stadium but we'll see:
  • build the stadium fit for the future, not for today. Wifi, contactless, all that stuff of course. But also in terms of retail, hospitality, conferencing etc. If done properly, we have the difference between a team in a half empty League 2 stadium and a mid level Championship team and stadium, which can then go on to bigger and better.
  • consider multi usage, Esports, womens football, stronger academy, concerts, fight nights, etc should all be in the plan from day one.
  • engage the local community. Similar to Reading's initiative with Blue Collar Market, provide a space for independent traders to offer food outside, secure the wet sales in club premises.
  • give a reason for people to attend early and spend more. Pre match entertainment - not on the pitch, in the concourse or around the ground. Deals with the train companies for 'ticket and a ticket' before a certain time, meaning they can drink if using public transport and are a captive market for a while before the match.
  • engagement with local clubs and provide a chance for them to play in the big stadium at 12pm every matchday with mini tournaments / penalty shootouts. Surprise, you've then got probably 1,000 people, two thirds of whom will be kids begging mum or dad for burger and chips and to stay and watch the match. They might become fans later - it was the £1 tickets under Vic Jobson at school that got me through the gates.
  • the ability to fill each and every empty seat with schoolkids for free.
  • Make it easy for fans to spend money at the ground. If someone was to look at the process in the West Stand they'd realise how ridiculous it is. You have to walk from your block to the bar in the centre, queue up, buy your drink, if you then go outside, have to walk round and go back in. Why not two 'bottle bars' open with good weather, even if sheds, outside where many hang around? Why not a couple of food trucks on the path to the entrance before the match? etc. Look at heatmaps and design accordingly. No recent thought or imagination has gone into RH, let's hope it does in the future.
  • become the venue of choice for local businesses. Plan to have meeting rooms from 2 - 2,000 people, host every single BNI / networking meeting for free and lay on the dodgy coffee too. Become integrated in the local business community and not just the club begging for sponsorship.
  • hotel is a no brainer for conferences etc - but also, there's a lack of decent family sized hotel rooms in a seaside resort unless you want Premier Inn. There are plenty of hotel franchises that would bite the hands off SUFC if planned properly.
  • consider ancillary retail concessions / franchises that are a little more ambitious than just a club shop next to a ticket office
  • possibly (if the economics stack up) a co-working venue, perhaps even franchised via Spaces / Regus
Basically, sweat every last centimetre of the development as that's how clubs become sustainable.

When I spoke to Tom Lawrence a while ago, he mentioned a 7 day a week sports bar and a few conferences suites with different levels of head count.
Can be used for income generating streams like xmas parties, indoor concerts etc

Some great ideas being mooted, I especially like the idea of work space rental prior to midweek matches - not so much working from home but working from the stadium! To be honest though, this could work really well for people who miss the buzz of human interaction from colleagues, and, as long as there is no confidentiality issue, then this could be a huge meeting place for lots of Shrimpers all "working from home" - not just on matchdays!

Tom's spoken many times to us about the commercial profits they made while he was at Gillingham, and sees our new stadium as vastly superior in the extent of opportunities available. He's even spoken off the record about the kind of income projections that would be feasible.

On a personal level, relatively simple things are most important for me - decent leg room and comfortable seats.

Safe standing is, as I understand, already part of the planning.

Choices of bars, with a good selection of drinks on offer, and one which can open during the week for local use and/or for private hire. Likewise, several choices of food and drink. I bemoan the fact that it is so difficult to get a hot drink in the bars at Roots Hall time and time again, so, decent coffee is a must.

Some great ideas being mooted, I especially like the idea of work space rental prior to midweek matches - not so much working from home but working from the stadium! To be honest though, this could work really well for people who miss the buzz of human interaction from colleagues, and, as long as there is no confidentiality issue, then this could be a huge meeting place for lots of Shrimpers all "working from home" - not just on matchdays!

Tom's spoken many times to us about the commercial profits they made while he was at Gillingham, and sees our new stadium as vastly superior in the extent of opportunities available. He's even spoken off the record about the kind of income projections that would be feasible.

On a personal level, relatively simple things are most important for me - decent leg room and comfortable seats.

Safe standing is, as I understand, already part of the planning.

Choices of bars, with a good selection of drinks on offer, and one which can open during the week for local use and/or for private hire. Likewise, several choices of food and drink. I bemoan the fact that it is so difficult to get a hot drink in the bars at Roots Hall time and time again, so, decent coffee is a must.

Quick question, would you pay an extra £250 for it on your season ticket (with other benefits such as 10% off club shop), taking into account the costs of WFH etc?
£20 a month seems to me that it will be an easy choice for a good proportion of STHs, let's say 1,000 take it up - that's £250k towards the alleged £600k shortfall that we're facing if in League 2, with minimal additional costs if managed properly. Whether those numbers are right is another question of course, but...

Said this many times but here goes….

The new stadium will need a pub/bar that is accessible BEFORE you go into your respective stands for the stadium, thus allowing you to mix with friends that might go in other parts of the ground also this can capture away fans as well which can make for a superb atmosphere.
The club will have the monopoly on booze sales so I think by having a bar that we can all use that’s part of the stadium but is separate from having to enter the ground will be key.
The example I would give are Walsall they use to have a club house outside the stadium and it was the first place anybody went to drink.
Clubs like Wycombe have also utilised the space outside of the ground with big beer tents.

Another thing that I think is important is the positioning of the safe standing, you are going to need to make sure you get those that like to be vocal in W block all in the same part of the new stadium.

In my years watching football I have come to
The conclusion when you get a new stadium
You get ONE chance to get it right otherwise you end up with souless stadiums like Colchester.

Having a proper planing committee with fans working with the club to make sure we have the stadium in the spec we want is paramount

Quick question, would you pay an extra £250 for it on your season ticket (with other benefits such as 10% off club shop), taking into account the costs of WFH etc?
£20 a month seems to me that it will be an easy choice for a good proportion of STHs, let's say 1,000 take it up - that's £250k towards the alleged £600k shortfall that we're facing if in League 2, with minimal additional costs if managed properly. Whether those numbers are right is another question of course, but...
well one number is wrong, £20 a month would be £240. Not a surprise Ron isn’t answering your call.

- decent view of pitch/game.
- bar area which includes TV's for sport.
- A supporters club owning majority shares of the ground itself (essential otherwise stadium could be a negative move).

Not personally, no. It wouldn't apply to me, I'm an office administrator, part time (though at 38 hours a week, feels like full time), and hourly paid, but I could imagine it being very appealing to those in their 30s or 40s on better wages than me.

Last edited:
I’d like a bar serving local independent ales. Please no Heineken or John Smiths Smooth as the only options. Some beers from Leigh brewery would be great.

I’d also like a Rossi’s.

Could even have a cockle shed to serve some local seafood and give it a local flavour.
Absolutely this 100%. We need to tell Tom Lawrence - this would make all the difference. I’d personally pay a bit extra to support local producers and we shouldn’t go for cheap cheap cheap mass produced crap ever again.

Back