• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Boreham Wood 1-0 Southend United

Yea he's having a good season. I congratulated him on just the 7 yellow cards this season! 🤣 ... Benton reminded me he got 16 with us last year!
That's great to hear and that he's added a little discipline to his game , he certainly added a bit of bite to our midfield when we were struggling last season.

Just seen the penalty decision, OMFG, thought from 90 yards away it wasn’t a penalty at the time and this just confirms it. How has that been given. Saturday and now tonight we’ve been done by two awful decisions. Yes I know we missed out penalty but it’s not the point. We were on top at that point but then being given that out a stop to that and gave them something to hold onto which they are very good at doing

We did have some chances tonight, just didn't take them. Murph should have scored a free header first half, Cards close second half, as was Murph again, and you would bank on Bridgey to put a pen away. Just wasn't our night in front of goal.

Just seen the penalty decision, OMFG, thought from 90 yards away it wasn’t a penalty at the time and this just confirms it. How has that been given. Saturday and now tonight we’ve been done by two awful decisions. Yes I know we missed out penalty but it’s not the point. We were on top at that point but then being given that out a stop to that and gave them something to hold onto which they are very good at doing
Crap officials in the league ... that's how.

Despite the possession stats I thought we were pretty poor. They were there for the taking.

Arnold 7 - Did nothing wrong. Glad to have him back between the sticks.
GSM 6 - Not his best game. Not much in the way of overlapping, but rarely got the ball as we insist on playing down the left.
Kensdale 8 - The new leader, MOM. Give him the armband
Hobson 7 - Did well
Ralph 6 - Bit of a hoof merchant.
Miley 7 - Only midfielder looking for the ball and the only midfielder I would want to keep
Husin 5 - Conference south player.
Fonguck 5 - Not my type of player. Doesn’t put his body on the line. Not sure what type of midfielder he is meant to be. Not particularly good at anything.
Bridge 6 - Lack of pace let’s him down. Always cutting back so every cross is floated in rather than hit at pace, so easily defended.
Cardwell 6 - Can’t time a header or bring others in to play. Might be harsh but I think National league is a stretch too far for him. Looked much more mobile when he first signed.
Murphy - 5 Looked rusty. Tried a few flicks but nothing came off.

Subs
Wreh 7 - Caused a few problems and actually held the ball up. Always trying to bring others in to the game.
Mooney 5 - I’ve been giving him a lot of slack based on his pre-season performance. Probably a great player if you’re playing the ball around at pace. Not the sort of player you want in a scrappy game.
Taylor 5 - Not on for long. Too similar to Miley for me. Can’t have both on the pitch at the same time as it’s too negative.
So, so harsh on some players.

To call Ralph a hoof merchant is just plain wrong. He is probably the most skilful player we have and one who can play at a much higher level, but he's being told to play the way he is. That's not always been his game.

Husin in much, much better than a Conference South player. He was in that league because he was part time. He does need to be more consistent, granted, but he could be a L1 player if he gets that confidence and consistency.

As for Cardwell not timing a header... is that the same Cardwell that forced a wordly from their keeper in the second half with a superb header?

Also Kensdale is not a captain yet IMO. He probably will be, but he's too hot headed at the moment.

Maybe it’s time to try and flat back 4? Something like a 442 with Mooney and Bridge on the wings, Miley and one other in the middle with Wreh and Cardwell upfront. Need to address the fact that we can’t score any goals!
Have to say that sometimes the team looks like it is playing the way Maher did... sideways, sideways, backwards hoof!

Yes, we always seem to play from side to side.
Were is the element of surprise in that.
All that does is allow time for all the other players to get back in their own half to defend.
Why cant we just run straight at their defence, and surprise them, just like miley at Torquay.

Have to say that sometimes the team looks like it is playing the way Maher did... sideways, sideways, backwards hoof!
Mahers play was dictated by the quality of players around him.

None of the words youve used describe his performances in the 04 05 and 06 seasons. Before that yes he played sideways as had no credible outlets and chose keeping posession over losing it.

No offence to you, but Im still surprised that people judge his career like this. Give me a kev maher in our midfield now anyday. And for someone who spent his career in a solid 4-4-2 he clearly isnt stuck in the past concerning his view of how we play football.

Mooney was brilliant for Altrincham last season in a 442 as a RM. He was also good when we first signed him through preseason and even early season when we played a 343.

We now play him in the centre and he isn’t as effective. People claiming he’s **** honestly need to give their heads a wobble. Blokes playing out of position
Hmm…he was completely ****e when he came on today look disinterested. whatever position he plays in should be able to pass a ball. Overrated and complete waste of time for me. Move on in the summer,

So, so harsh on some players.

To call Ralph a hoof merchant is just plain wrong. He is probably the most skilful player we have and one who can play at a much higher level, but he's being told to play the way he is. That's not always been his game.

Husin in much, much better than a Conference South player. He was in that league because he was part time. He does need to be more consistent, granted, but he could be a L1 player if he gets that confidence and consistency.

As for Cardwell not timing a header... is that the same Cardwell that forced a wordly from their keeper in the second half with a superb header?

Also Kensdale is not a captain yet IMO. He probably will be, but he's too hot headed at the moment.
Husin a League 1 player 😂😂😂 He gone backwards massively this season, personally I would not want him him next season. No ability to drive forward, no goals, no defensive splitting passes…not the answer.

I am confused by Brunt’s celebration, don’t understand the need to be a ****.

He was well received when he played for us.

Brunt was reacting to the stick he got from our fans.

I forgot how many goals Lopata scored.

I forgot how refs have being heavily involved in the Wrexham goal and tonights goal...

Our problems are nothing to do with him.

Our problems have an awful lot to do with him.

We can’t currently keep clean sheets. In the 9(?) games without him since he was injured we’ve kept one clean sheet: at home against a team in the relegation places who had a player sent off first half.

If you can’t keep clean sheets you need to score twice to win. Which means the forwards are under pressure so they snatch at chances or want too many touches.

The lack of clean sheets means when we don’t score we lose instead of draw, which hits confidence. We’re currently playing without confidence.

So that’s now played 16 won 2 drawn 4 and lost 10 against the the other sides in the top ten.

So far we have only lost 3 games against the rest.

We just aren’t good enough against the stronger sides - haven’t been all season.

It‘s all right Kev saying we were outstanding and we will continue to play the same way, but our build ups are just so slow and laborious… no one can strike a football. OK we did get a few goal attempts in but it wasn’t like we were spurning open goals j- just half chances.

We need a couple of athletes in midfield who will actually get in the box and shoot!

Oh and it’s about time the law makers stop players from drying a wet ball for a throw in. It’s so tedious two games running watching opponents who are just trying to see how far they can throw the ball into our box taking time out to dry the ball.
The good news is we’re now pretty much only playing teams outside the top 10.

We aren’t lacking athletes in midfield so much as confidence. If we were coming off three wins in a row we’d have won tonight.

Reposting what I wrote for the Wrexham game. Same applies.

Imagine for a moment that were in this league because of some shocking manager and player investment. Were trying to invest in a new stadium so money needs to be spent there and cashflow is still an issue. But we have a chairman that we like and he/she is doing their best.

Now with that in mind look at the football. Do you think it would be that much different?

We have a good set of players. Arguably the best for a long time. We go on great unbeaten runs - however that always appears to be against lower placed teams. We struggle against anyone above us. Our good players or better players when faced with teams of similar skill are nullified.

It's easy to blame Ron martin and embargoes etc. The point I'm trying to make here is that regardless of Ron we continue to come up short.

Therefore the question of tactics is the only variable left. I've lost count of the times the team has had good possession but not had a shot on goal. We can throw money at new strikers but the fact remains we flatter to deceive in the supply. However bad Ron is we can't blame him for this. He's invested in the management team, collymore, still. Wrexham play a similar style but they arguably have much better players. Better players because of more moeny can't be the only way to win.

Maher has done an incredible job in motivating this team and dealing with the adversity. No question. Awards all round for that. But we also have to question the continuing tactical approach.

The definition of stupidity is to keep doing the same thing expecting a different result. That's what we keep.doing.

As controversial as it is, I was never a fan of Maher as a player. Clearly a great motivational coach but as a manager I have the same feeling as him as a player. For now of course consistency and costs will dictate a lack of change. We will continue to blame Ron - and he absolutely deserves all the criticism he gets - but we won't get out of this division with Maher as manager because of his tactics and view on football because we will continue to setup and play in the same way and hope changing the odd player will make the difference. We will win a few, get out hopes up but will not crack the top teams - unless.of.course we get some rich benefactors all.of a sudden and buy the best players.

At 1-0 we played with all the pace of a pre season friendly in 30c heat.

No ambition to drive the ball forward and no clue up top.

This sideways and backwards football is doing my brain in.

4 defeats on the bounce. Maybe unlucky in some but you make your own luck amd we just don't play with any belief that goals will come. The team just seems to be going backwards.

Our problems have an awful lot to do with him.

We can’t currently keep clean sheets. In the 9(?) games without him since he was injured we’ve kept one clean sheet: at home against a team in the relegation places who had a player sent off first half.

If you can’t keep clean sheets you need to score twice to win. Which means the forwards are under pressure so they snatch at chances or want too many touches.

The lack of clean sheets means when we don’t score we lose instead of draw, which hits confidence. We’re currently playing without confidence.

The goal vs Wrexham and today vs Borehamwood couldn't have been prevented by Lopata or any other defender...

Our flaw right now is elsewhere on the pitch. We have an ineffective Bridge since his interest from Notts began.

We have Taylor/Fongcuk/Husin in midfield who seem to be going nowhere in an attacking sense.

We have Mooney who is out of position and painfully out of form.

We have strikers getting no service as a result of all the above, no confidence because of no goals or injuries.

You could argue that Maher needs to explore different set ups, but the counter argument is we dominate games and are just missing a little spark. He is dammed if he sticks and dammed if he twists, luckily (if that is the right word?) Ron and the terrible financial circumstances have given the management trio a free pass for the rest of the season.

Lets see where the next few matches give us in terms of points, I would imagine once play offs is out of reach, we can start giving young players more minutes and trialling new set ups in preparation for whatever the summer or next season hold... That is, if the three amigos & SVC & Still are staying around...

Back