• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Aldershot Town, Saturday 18th March, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 49 87.5%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

• Shaun Hobson

• Ollie Kensdale

• Nathan Ralph

Votes: 47 83.9%
  • Jack Bridge

• Cav Miley

• Noor Husin (now confirmed injured)

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Wes Fonguck

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Harry Cardwell

Votes: 47 83.9%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Louis Lomas

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • Dan Mooney

Votes: 28 50.0%
  • Callum Powell

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Chris Wreh

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jake Hyde

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Henry Sandat

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Jon Benton

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Win

Votes: 39 69.6%
  • Draw

• Lose

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arnold

GSM Hobson Kensdale Lomas Ralph

Miley Fonguck

Mooney Cardwell Bridge​

Back to the 343/523 for me which was so successful for us last season when we went on our unbeaten run. Not sure why we haven’t tried going back to this sooner.

UTB.
But that’s the formation we started the season with and it didn’t work.

I agree, Mooney Wreh and Cardwell to start.

Oh, I bought tickets today and realised afterwards they were ‘print at home’. I’m sure at the collection point they’ll be able to print them for me, right? (Don’t have a printer at home).

442 please. Arnie - GSM Hobbo Kens Ralph - Mooney Cav Wes Bridgey - Cards Wreh. Please put Sandat back in the squad he offers more than Murphy even at 17.
I don’t think we’ve played badly in the last 4 and as pointed out earlier we haven’t been smashed it’s been 1 goal. We just need that bit of luck and a decent ‘home’ ref.
1 nil to us and I don’t care who or how.
#martinout

I agree, Mooney Wreh and Cardwell to start.

Oh, I bought tickets today and realised afterwards they were ‘print at home’. I’m sure at the collection point they’ll be able to print them for me, right? (Don’t have a printer at home).
Got a printer at work? They're only pdf files.

………………..Arnold
……Hobson..Kensdale..Ralph
GSM………………………………Bridge
………….Miley…….Taylor
……………….Mooney
…………Murphy….Cardwell

That’s my effort for this game. I reckon Noor needs a rest and we need to get our most likely goal threats consistent match time together IMO, and that’s this lot. That’s our best chance of turning around our form and trying to get that last play off spot come the end of the season.
And Southend players are clever enough to play and understand that formation ?

And Southend players are clever enough to play and understand that formation ?
It doesn't really matter as they would revert to 5 at the back , however Mooney given a free role might suit him but also confuse our players more than the opposition! Or just play him wide right where he was at his best according to most of Moons watchers.

But that’s the formation we started the season with and it didn’t work.
I think that may have been more about the personnel available, rather than the formation.

Hyde went off after 9 minutes.
Taylor played RWB
Clifford played LWB

I wouldn't have Bridge further up the pitch in a 5-2-3. I'd keep him at LWB. But this 3 man midfield has looked so abject offensively and we need to address that.

I think Maher will stick to his guns though and start Wreh and Cardwell up top with Mooney behind them. Moons really needs to click into gear. He seems to be the only one that 'could' make a difference from midfield.

I think that may have been more about the personnel available, rather than the formation.

Hyde went off after 9 minutes.
Taylor played RWB
Clifford played LWB

I wouldn't have Bridge further up the pitch in a 5-2-3. I'd keep him at LWB. But this 3 man midfield has looked so abject offensively and we need to address that.

I think Maher will stick to his guns though and start Wreh and Cardwell up top with Mooney behind them. Moons really needs to click into gear. He seems to be the only one that 'could' make a difference from midfield.
Also we actually played some lovely stuff in the first few weeks of the season, without getting the results we deserved. I remember the stats sites were raving about us, and couldn't work out why we weren't higher up the table.

You could make an argument that might happen again and the results won't improve, you could also make the argument that there was more than a bit of luck involved in that, and we haven't played well using the current system for a little while.

Feel bridge had more success when he was started more centrally and then drifted out wide at various stages. Seemed to stop some of the doubling up on him and pulled the opposition out of shape more.
I prefer fonguck and Ralph in the mix with bridge because they can utilise any space as bridge roams drawing players to him.
Sadly just don't see Mooney as anything more than a luxury ball runner. Rarely an end product or shot on target. Same as powell.
Prefer wrehs strength to Murphy who still seems to concentrate more on getting a pen or free kick than getting in the 6 yd box. Is also rather have wreh chasing any flick ons from cardwell - Murphy seems to have maybe lost 1\2yd pace.
I hope GSM drives forward more and we use his width more, but it will depend who he can link up with or overlap with. Would be interesting if a hybrid formation included JD behind GSM on the rigjt. Overlapping and covering each other. Good with interchange one twos and giving us more effective attacking from that side as well as a bit of steel and know how in the middle. Also gives more licence to GSM getting forward for his heading skills.
If things aren't happening I hope we don't wait until 60 mins or conceding to make a change. Let's run this game and force them to be reactive please!.
If we go positive I reckon 2-0 to us. If we go reactive it's 0-1 to them I reckon.
I'd rather lose trying to win. What's to lose!

Noor's injury is a shame - but it comes at a time when he's not really in the zone.
For all that, most days he has a damn sight more creativity than Taylor and Fonguck.
I can see why the latter passes sideways and back most of the time.
The one crucial pass he needed to make ahead of him in the first half at Wood and put Cards in - he fluffed.
You can see why the likes of Hobbo and Ken Dale are forever lumping it long.

Last edited:
Sadly just don't see Mooney as anything more than a luxury ball runner. Rarely an end product or shot on target.
Yep. I can't understand why there's always a noticeable number of voices who suggest there's more to come based on a game they him play back in July last year. Or, that the management team, who see Mooney in training multiple times a week, are getting it wrong because he's apparently always played out of position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back