• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Boreham Wood 1-0 Southend United

We usually hold our own against promotion sides because defensively we're a very good side (even without Lopata), especially now that Arnold is back. We don't win many of those games though because going forwards we offer very little, it's something that needs to be addressed next season.

Our defence hasn’t been very good against the top 4 sides
Notts County 6 conceded in 2 games
Wrexham only 1 conceded in 2 games
Chesterfield 5 conceded in 2 games
Woking 3 conceded in 2 games

Playing the top 4 sides we’ve actually scored twice in a game more often we’ve kept a clean sheet.

Reactions: jim
I'll drive hyde back there myself,he will probably do his hamstring on the way
You may need to take a list of casualties on route or the very least some other club physios who could turn out like the RAC if vehicle or more likely passenger breaks down.

If FF eventually happens, we'll have the best stadium in the NL!
You obviously didn't go to Notts County then? Our 3 sided now 16,000 odd seater stadium squashed in the corner of a huge housing estate will not come close to Meadow Lane and the best stadium doesn't guarantee promotion or the best team 🤷

Disagree! We have given the best 2 sides in the division decent games! Apart from a hubblin by notts we have held our own against promotion sides.
Quite agree, if it wasnt for the ****e refs we would have taken 4 points from Wrexham, apart from the Notts away game , we have held our own against just about every other team in this division. I will go one step further if it was for the embargo and injuries and wages not being paid Im pretty sure we would be flying high and challenging for automatic promotion. But we and the rest of the world know where the fault for all that lays.

Im pretty sure we would be flying high and challenging for automatic promotion. But we and the rest of the world know where the fault for all that lays.
Do we? I’ve not read anything on the Zone relating this in the last few hours, days, weeks, months or years. What have I missed?:ROFL:

Do we? I’ve not read anything on the Zone relating this in the last few hours, days, weeks, months or years. What have I missed?:ROFL:
Read the whole thread not just a part of it to change things to your perspective,.

Oh yes. Silly me. I forgot that playing out of position means you cannot pass accurately, cross effectively or shoot anywhere in the vicinity of the goal. Out of position does not destroy your ability to do the basics.
Both can be true a player slightly lacking in confidence or match fitness playing in a role that's not his natural game , wouldn't that ineffectiveness show up, take for example Bridge why can't he play inside left of a front three! on paper it should be no problem! And Powell as CF holding up the ball with there back to goal.
Guess it's down to system versus players available, kev is super glued to his system no matter what! Bit to predictable imo
442 for example Bridge lm and Mooney or Powell Rm Miley plus Taylor/Husin ,then overlapping full backs oh the possibilities lol

Both can be true a player slightly lacking in confidence or match fitness playing in a role that's not his natural game , wouldn't that ineffectiveness show up, take for example Bridge why can't he play inside left of a front three! on paper it should be no problem! And Powell as CF holding up the ball with there back to goal.
Guess it's down to system versus players available, kev is super glued to his system no matter what! Bit to predictable imo
442 for example Bridge lm and Mooney or Powell Rm Miley plus Taylor/Husin ,then overlapping full backs oh the possibilities lol
I completely agree with you. It's worth noting I was very pleased with the signing of Mooney and remain convinced he is a very good player but, Kev persisted him with before his time out when it was clear he was nowhere near match ready, mentally, and has brought him back looking no better. Something is amiss with his game and until that is sorted out he will not be positively contributing to the team and will take the space of someone who can. Who? Well I would chance my dead nan ahead of Mooney at the moment.

Do we? Yesterday we had - at minimum - three excellent goal scoring opportunities; Murphy’s header, Cardwell’s header and the penalty.

All three of those came from good wing play and decent, early crosses.

In fact, if we had taken just one or two of those chances, we’d all be saying what an excellent performance it was, going away from home and slapping a team who were unbeaten in 13.

It’s fine margins. If Murphy connects with the ball a few millimetres higher, if Cardwell’s aim is better by a couple of inches, if Bridge goes the other way….

I’m curious, what do you think his tactical approach is?

I would think it’s something along the lines of retain possession, move it between the lines and then attack from the wing. The only issue I have with the tactics are why we have a lack of runners into the box from central midfield and the opposite flank. Although this may not be a tactical issue and more a personnel problem.

Yes, I recall your thread from last year, questioning whether Maher was the man for the job, again after a few bad results.

Same question for yourself as I’ve posed to Wiggy, why did you not say these things whilst we were on unbeaten streaks and sitting in the playoffs? Or after the draws against Wrexham and Notts C at Roots Hall? Or when we were running the likes of Solihull Moors and Barnet ragged?

Looking at the match stats from yesterday, it’s quite hard to believe we came away with nothing. It’s even harder to believe it’s Maher fault though.

View attachment 25479
Tactical approach - Slow, cautious, defensive minded, players out of position to accommodate the tactical setup (bridge is not a wing back), using wing backs and expecting attacking play, 3 central defenders and 2 defensive midfielders and expecting goals. Still we concede goals but score very little - as per the point - especially against good opposition. BW I would say are similar to us at this time.

Stats are great but you need to look at the actual data behind this. We can all the % possession unless we do nothing with it or have limited players who can make the ball work. 3 opportunities (your comment) in a game isnt going to win a match. Lack of runners into the box is odd considering we have 3 mids - my point about the tactical approach and the players we chose.

Yup ive said this consistently and believe this even when weve won some games. Havent changed regardless of runs. I dont have the belief (but again I will state hes done a great job and have respect for the guy). The Ron issues are clouding judgement on the way we play and the lack of learning doing the same things, getting the same results - which is my point on the thread.

Tactical approach - Slow, cautious, defensive minded, players out of position to accommodate the tactical setup (bridge is not a wing back), using wing backs and expecting attacking play, 3 central defenders and 2 defensive midfielders and expecting goals. Still we concede goals but score very little - as per the point - especially against good opposition. BW I would say are similar to us at this time.

Stats are great but you need to look at the actual data behind this. We can all the % possession unless we do nothing with it or have limited players who can make the ball work. 3 opportunities (your comment) in a game isnt going to win a match. Lack of runners into the box is odd considering we have 3 mids - my point about the tactical approach and the players we chose.

Yup ive said this consistently and believe this even when weve won some games. Havent changed regardless of runs. I dont have the belief (but again I will state hes done a great job and have respect for the guy). The Ron issues are clouding judgement on the way we play and the lack of learning doing the same things, getting the same results - which is my point on the thread.
It wasn’t just three opportunities against Boreham Wood. @GBJ gave a few of the best examples. There was also a Cardwell shot on the turn just wide, the penalty, a Hobson shot well saved, Taylor’s powder puff effort and a couple of efforts from Husin from the edge of the box amongst others. Tactics and over cautious were not the problem though we could do with more bodies getting into the box, but that seems to be player mindset more than coaching. With the personnel available and circumstances around the team I don’t think we can expect more than Maher and co are getting. Hopefully the off field issues improve, we retain our better players and improve on some of the weaker ones and we can make a real challenge for the top places. We don’t have the playing resources at the moment which is clear from our results against top 10 teams.

I would like to see Miley getting forward a bit more , i really liked what i saw from him versus Torquay, he was getting forward a lot there and what a ripper of a winning goal he scored

Defensive minded - the likes of Bridge, Kensdale, Hobson and GSM are all attack minded. Just look at the positions someone like Gus takes up and how frequently he gets in the opposition’s penalty area. We have our right centre-half regularly popping up on the wing.

Players out of position - Bridge has played by far the best football of his career as a wingback. It’s the position he’s looked most comfortable in.

Defensive minded - the likes of Bridge, Kensdale, Hobson and GSM are all attack minded. Just look at the positions someone like Gus takes up and how frequently he gets in the opposition’s penalty area. We have our right centre-half regularly popping up on the wing.

Players out of position - Bridge has played by far the best football of his career as a wingback. It’s the position he’s looked most comfortable in.
It's true that some of our players, such as Bridge, Kensdale, Hobson, and GSM, are more attack-minded and tend to push forward when they have possession of the ball. However, having a mix of defensive and offensive players can be beneficial for the team, as it allows for a more balanced approach to the game.

Regarding players being out of position, it's not uncommon for players to play in positions other than their natural ones, especially if it benefits the team as a whole. If Bridge has been performing well as a wingback, then it makes sense for the manager to utilize him in that position.

Ultimately, what's important is that the team works together cohesively and effectively, regardless of individual players' positions or playing styles.

It's true that some of our players, such as Bridge, Kensdale, Hobson, and GSM, are more attack-minded and tend to push forward when they have possession of the ball. However, having a mix of defensive and offensive players can be beneficial for the team, as it allows for a more balanced approach to the game.

Regarding players being out of position, it's not uncommon for players to play in positions other than their natural ones, especially if it benefits the team as a whole. If Bridge has been performing well as a wingback, then it makes sense for the manager to utilize him in that position.

Ultimately, what's important is that the team works together cohesively and effectively, regardless of individual players' positions or playing styles.
Did you get an AI chat bot to write your answer Naps?

Agree ... WTF is FF ?

Anyway I think we should sell Eastwood in the January window and re-inforce the squad.

BTW - my mates an Orient fan - blooming heck -- I would never ever watch National League football ... imagine going to all those crap clubs with 500 home fans on a good day !

Can't believe I am saying this but if there was ever a case for VAR lower down the leagues this is it, not that it would ever happen any time soon
Definitely don't want VAR in the NL, it's ruined football. You don't always get the decision in this country that you think is obvious because its often about interpretation of the individual. I like the fact we rely on human error, have a moan and move on. VAR kills the atmosphere and causes prolonged delays.

Definitely don't want VAR in the NL, it's ruined football. You don't always get the decision in this country that you think is obvious because its often about interpretation of the individual. I like the fact we rely on human error, have a moan and move on. VAR kills the atmosphere and causes prolonged delays.
Oh I totally agree, my point was on this occasion it would have benefitted us, but like you say for me the cons outweigh the pros/

Got a mate who goes Crystal Palace all the time and he said that you are never sure if a goal is a goal anymore, bit like in the lower leagues if you get a goal given offside next time you score you are straight away looking over at the linesman anticipating the flag to go up in turn ruining the experience

Definitely don't want VAR in the NL, it's ruined football. You don't always get the decision in this country that you think is obvious because it’s often about interpretation of the individual. I like the fact we rely on human error, have a moan and move on. VAR kills the atmosphere and causes prolonged delays.
Also I think the human error side gives more debate to football

Back