• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 Aldershot Town

That was poor, very poor. The majority look mentally and physically shot.
Our midfield appeared to go AWOL in that second half. Aldershot just ran through us unchallenged.
Poor Kensdale had an absolute shocker today. At fault for both goals, whilst his late slip almost gifted The Shots a third.

The main problem is that the first thought from all our players is to play the ball backwards or sideways. Granted, there were few options as we had little or no runners off the ball, but Christ, we need to be braver. It's no wonder we have so few shots at goal during 90 minutes.

The season looked to have caught up with Cav Miley and Scott-Morris in particular today, whilst Wes continued to do little to justify his place on the side.
Harry Taylor isn't the ideal player to be bringing on when you're looking for a goal and, even with the ball at his feet looking forward, he stopped, turned and played the ball backwards.

I thought Mooney, particularly first half looked a lot fitter and played in Murphy beautifully for the opener. He was buzzing around, looking for the ball out on that right hand side, before drifting into central areas to good effect. Unfortunately by 60 mins his race was run and the whole team seemed to fall apart with large gaps appearing all over the pitch.

Budget allowing, we need to be ruthless in the summer and move on a handful of the current squad if we want to be up there challenging next season.

Credit to Aldershot,who had clearly done their homework on us. They were strong defensively and broke with purpose and no little skill at times.

The end of a strange week and certainly the end of our play off hopes.

There is some good news..........
For the last 10 minutes Kev was shouting at the back 3 to get it forward faster,, and at the midfield to get forward too.
All to late BUT maybe the reality of who and how we keep playing has become as apparent to our honest, hard working managers as it has been seen from the stands by those watching and knowing the inevitable consequences of slow slow slow side side back and repeat.
Mooney looked better than on Tuesday and Murph took his goal well. If only the final whistle had blown then.

I thought the performance away to Aldershot was bad but for me today we were even worse !.

No one played even half decent today so we lost at home in a must win game to a bang average side which is extremely disappointing.

This may be a controversial opinion but personally I have lost faith in Arnold which may be a little harsh if we rushed him back but he has been far from blameless in some of the recent goals conceding and for both of today’s he was slow off his line.

Crap. Didn’t deserve to be 1-0 up and can’t complain about losing 2-1. Almost no attacking incision or threat other than the one move for the goal until we were 2-1 down. When we did it was too slow, too predictable (give the ball to Bridge and watch him run, cut back, try and cross into Cardwell who was up against two defenders who were just as big).

Throwing Taylor and Powell on was supposed to shore things up and that lasted two minutes. Mooney looked bright early on but was KO after 60 minutes. Murphy stopped running after 15. That’s without going into the drop in quality that we have on the bench. Kev will always have his hands tied with that.

Arnold 6 Hospital pass to him for the penalty and can’t blame him.
Scott-Morriss 7 One of our best players, actually capable of delivering a ball into the box.
Hobson 5.5 They caught him out time and time again first half with runs in behind.
Kensdale 6 Has to be the one to organise things at the back and there’s just no leadership there. His distribution can improve too, but he was defensively solid at least.
Ralph 5 Can’t believe we signed him in League 1. He kept trying, to his credit, but his first touch and passing are abismal.
Bridge 6.5 Quiet early on, but our only real outlet in the second half.
Miley 7 Bossed the midfield almost single-handedly. Shows he’s a class above.
Fongnuck 6 Preferred him to Taylor and he did offer something different to Husin. Just not really offensive or defensive,
Mooney 6.5 Possibly our best player first half and really chased every ball and got stuck in like he had a point to prove, but then vanished completely second half.
Murphy 6 Nicely taken goal, did he do anything else?
Cardwell 6.5 At times he was the man drifting wide to cross and the man who was supposed to get on the end of the same cross. A hard battle for him and can’t fault him.

Subs
Taylor 4 Genuinely at a loss as to what he adds. Not very good at defending, and he’s terrible on the ball.
Powell 6 No wonder defences have figured him out. He gets into some good areas at times, completely gets in the way of his team mates on others.
Wreh - Brief cameo and felt like it could’ve happened earlier.

So our season is over, and it’s certainly been better than the last, but it looked like a group of players who have been playing two games a week for a while and who just look mentally exhausted. Kev’s got a job on his hand to keep this squad going to the end of the season.

Think giving Kensdale 6 is very generous, he was appalling today. Awful passing and the back pass (if it can be called that) for the penalty was absolutely shocking.

One thing I noticed today was how slow our midfield is, especially with getting forward. No urgency at all, they just sit in the middle.

Though to be fair Hobson and Ralph weren't much better.

Need to change it around and wouldn't mind seeing a change in formation either.

Saw some stuff today that I thought was really good, I saw stuff that really disappointed me and lastly I heard something really unbelievable.

On the really good front, the pass from Mooney to Murphy and his subsequent goal were a thing of beauty. The really disappointed comment referred to the rest of the game and finally there was the announcement that Callum Powell was made MoM having been on the pitch for all of 3 minutes....wtf?

Credit to Aldershot, they were better than us, and credit to a really lively away support in terms of numbers and being noisy buggers. Mathematically we can still do the play-offs, but realistically I reckon we are back in the 'work in progress' mode that we started the season as. New players needed in the middle of the park, preferably ones that can break up play and enforce where necessary.

Brain dump over, just need to add the disappointed 'bollocks' just to get it out of my system.

Tell you what as well, I ****ing hate Aldershot. Bottles of Coke (half full!), inflatables and chairs all being thrown onto the pitch. They were being tits on their way through main car park before the game too. Just a bunch of bindipping, coke-snorting, Stone Island-clad teenage hard nuts on their big day out. Embarrassing, and a 10/10 argument for Government-enforced sterilisation.
Suppose they won their cup final. The day we leave these ****house teams behind will be glorious. If it ever happens that is.

Another frustrating and tired performance by us. Appears we’ve dished up our worst two performances for Aldershot who have now beaten us three time in two seasons. Not going to dig out players as think they have still worked wonders but eventually the games have caught up with us and with no reinforcements being brought in we are struggling. In saying that the opening 20 mins were even and we scored a lovely goal but from that point on Aldershot controlled the game with Cordner who looked huge ran the game for them.

second half we just never got going and the longer the game wore on the more tired we looked and as a result mistakes started to creep in. I detest Aldershot and there fans but no denying they deserved that win.

ironically Kev unusually made two subs early and I felt it was the right time although I would have preffered Wreh instead of Powell. The result we lose 2-1. Damned if you do, damned it you don’t

so onto Altrincham which appears to look like another long away day. Would like to see Kev change things and maybe try 442 or 433. The current formation just isn’t getting results. I note Wood scored again for Tonbridge could he be recalled and maybe give Benton and Sandat more game time. The play offs are gone now. Maybe slim hope the embargo might be lifted this week but whether that gives us time to bring anyone in who knows.

so some positive news of sorts from Ron yesterday but realistically nothing changes on the pitch whilst the embargo is still in place and staff not being paid. Two weeks ago we were on the brink of 4th place, would happily see the season end now if honest

Another frustrating and tired performance by us. Appears we’ve dished up our worst two performances for Aldershot who have now beaten us three time in two seasons. Not going to dig out players as think they have still worked wonders but eventually the games have caught up with us and with no reinforcements being brought in we are struggling. In saying that the opening 20 mins were even and we scored a lovely goal but from that point on Aldershot controlled the game with Cordner who looked huge ran the game for them.

second half we just never got going and the longer the game wore on the more tired we looked and as a result mistakes started to creep in. I detest Aldershot and there fans but no denying they deserved that win.

ironically Kev unusually made two subs early and I felt it was the right time although I would have preffered Wreh instead of Powell. The result we lose 2-1. Damned if you do, damned it you don’t

so onto Altrincham which appears to look like another long away day. Would like to see Kev change things and maybe try 442 or 433. The current formation just isn’t getting results. I note Wood scored again for Tonbridge could he be recalled and maybe give Benton and Sandat more game time. The play offs are gone now. Maybe slim hope the embargo might be lifted this week but whether that gives us time to bring anyone in who knows.

so some positive news of sorts from Ron yesterday but realistically nothing changes on the pitch whilst the embargo is still in place and staff not being paid. Two weeks ago we were on the brink of 4th place, would happily see the season end now if honest
Good to chat to you at HT Jon.

Tell you what as well, I ****ing hate Aldershot. Bottles of Coke (half full!), inflatables and chairs all being thrown onto the pitch. They were being tits on their way through main car park before the game too. Just a bunch of bindipping, coke-snorting, Stone Island-clad teenage hard nuts on their big day out. Embarrassing, and a 10/10 argument for Government-enforced sterilisation.

+1

A little band of their yoofs came to the Spread looking for some agg around 2pm. They knocked on the window quite loudly and then quickly went on their way.

It was very intimidating.

Crap. Didn’t deserve to be 1-0 up and can’t complain about losing 2-1. Almost no attacking incision or threat other than the one move for the goal until we were 2-1 down. When we did it was too slow, too predictable (give the ball to Bridge and watch him run, cut back, try and cross into Cardwell who was up against two defenders who were just as big).

Throwing Taylor and Powell on was supposed to shore things up and that lasted two minutes. Mooney looked bright early on but was KO after 60 minutes. Murphy stopped running after 15. That’s without going into the drop in quality that we have on the bench. Kev will always have his hands tied with that.

Arnold 6 Hospital pass to him for the penalty and can’t blame him.
Scott-Morriss 7 One of our best players, actually capable of delivering a ball into the box.
Hobson 5.5 They caught him out time and time again first half with runs in behind.
Kensdale 6 Has to be the one to organise things at the back and there’s just no leadership there. His distribution can improve too, but he was defensively solid at least.
Ralph 5 Can’t believe we signed him in League 1. He kept trying, to his credit, but his first touch and passing are abismal.
Bridge 6.5 Quiet early on, but our only real outlet in the second half.
Miley 7 Bossed the midfield almost single-handedly. Shows he’s a class above.
Fongnuck 6 Preferred him to Taylor and he did offer something different to Husin. Just not really offensive or defensive,
Mooney 6.5 Possibly our best player first half and really chased every ball and got stuck in like he had a point to prove, but then vanished completely second half.
Murphy 6 Nicely taken goal, did he do anything else?
Cardwell 6.5 At times he was the man drifting wide to cross and the man who was supposed to get on the end of the same cross. A hard battle for him and can’t fault him.

Subs
Taylor 4 Genuinely at a loss as to what he adds. Not very good at defending, and he’s terrible on the ball.
Powell 6 No wonder defences have figured him out. He gets into some good areas at times, completely gets in the way of his team mates on others.
Wreh - Brief cameo and felt like it could’ve happened earlier.

So our season is over, and it’s certainly been better than the last, but it looked like a group of players who have been playing two games a week for a while and who just look mentally exhausted. Kev’s got a job on his hand to keep this squad going to the end of the season.
Unbelievably generous ratings imo

That performance seriously worries me. Was it just a bad day at the office or something deeper?

That set of players are capable of so much more I hope it’s the former rather than the latter.

Last edited:
That was truly terrible. I think the sponsors agreed….. either that or they were drunk.

Mooney made the goal but he was dreadful thereafter. Slow, ponderous and unfit. What a time of the season to implode.
At least the man of the match award gave everyone a good laugh on a miserable afternoon

Unfortunately we've become a bog standard National league side and the playing staff apart from a couple are of that standard . Ron's embargo as in previous seasons has killed us and as for the manager of the month jinx...today was not a team in any way challenging fo a play off place.Totally depressing all round with nothing to now to play for barring a miracle

I'm not feeling very charitable tonight, we, our little bunch of West Stand die-hards in row J, thought he looked lardy arsed.

Back