• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Altrincham 1-0 Southend United

For the third week running I’ll ask you the question that you’ve failed to answer, why weren’t you saying this when we were winning games and sitting pretty in the playoff hunt?

Don’t be coy, I’d love to finally hear your side of events, because sadly I’m stuck with the opinion that you’re secretly thrilled we’ve lost again, purely so you can slag off a coaching team that have kept this ****-poor club afloat this season.
Of course i’m not thrilled that we’ve gone from strong play off contenders to bottom half also rans. Was never convinced when we were nicking games tbh but let’s face it the opposition ain’t much better than Hornchurch so it was always possible.
Glenn Pennyfather was in disbelief that he dropped Mooney….why would he do that against a team that have got nothing to play for and got a cup final next week, they really were not interested……he is and will always be a negative manager. What would I do different , attempt to supply the forwards from midfield, let’s face it he never fancied Jack Bridge for weeks/months, now he is the only supply although that has dried up lately. Thought the Ron news would spur them on a bit, gone backward since!

Of course i’m not thrilled that we’ve gone from strong play off contenders to bottom half also rans. Was never convinced when we were nicking games tbh but let’s face it the opposition ain’t much better than Hornchurch so it was always possible.
Glenn Pennyfather was in disbelief that he dropped Mooney….why would he do that against a team that have got nothing to play for and got a cup final next week, they really were not interested……he is and will always be a negative manager. What would I do different , attempt to supply the forwards from midfield, let’s face it he never fancied Jack Bridge for weeks/months, now he is the only supply although that has dried up lately. Thought the Ron news would spur them on a bit, gone backward since!
Gone back since the hmrc payment made.. weirdly

We simply don't create enough, a subtle difference

We created several decent chances today. Aside from the Powell and Bridge misses, we had some decent crosses into the box, but nobody on the end.

We had (at minimum) three superb chances of scoring against Boreham Wood, but took zero of them.

That’s 2 games where we should of have taken 6 points, but have come away with nothing.

Again, we could create 100 chances, but if we don’t take them it’s all moot.

I think it's a question of coaching.

The idea is that you coach players to improve them.

Let's pick 3 players.

Powell (who has always infuriated me) was a dangerous player first half of season.

Mooney was considered a gem of this division last season. For us? Poor and disinterested.

GSM now doesn't even look up when he crosses.

All 3 have significantly got worse this season

I do not condone Ron, the financial issues, the wages, any of it. I will say all the players train several times a week and are full time professional footballers and that they played fantastically through the non payment period.

I can say that I am seeing players going backwards, not forward.

I can't state any of this as fact, as its just my view through the lens of being a Southend fan for 35 years.

Again in contradiction, the Alty commentators were full of praise for us & remarked several times how disappointed they imagined we’d be for coming away with zero points.

Agree, the midfield need a shake up at least and an overhaul in the main. Unfortunately the latter is not an option (and may not even be an option in the summer)

But it’s fine margins. We’ve lost 6 on the bounce and aside from Notts County, we haven’t been outplayed in any of the last 8. We’ve held our own and for the most, bossed the games. We can rightly be salty for not picking up a single point in that time.

Something is missing, of that there is no doubt. A different manager though? No. For the love of ****, let’s not become a stereotypical Prem team fanbase who think the answer is to replace the manager every 11 months.

I think it's a question of coaching.

The idea is that you coach players to improve them.

Let's pick 3 players.

Powell (who has always infuriated me) was a dangerous player first half of season.

Mooney was considered a gem of this division last season. For us? Poor and disinterested.

GSM now doesn't even look up when he crosses.

All 3 have significantly got worse this season

I do not condone Ron, the financial issues, the wages, any of it. I will say all the players train several times a week and are full time professional footballers and that they played fantastically through the non payment period.

I can say that I am seeing players going backwards, not forward.

I can't state any of this as fact, as its just my view through the lens of being a Southend fan for 35 years.

Agree, and you’d expect a management team to cut their losses with the ones who can’t or won’t improve.

Unfortunately, we have no way of replacing those players, so we are where we are.

Again in contradiction, the Alty commentators were full of praise for us & remarked several times how disappointed they imagined we’d be for coming away with zero points.

Agree, the midfield need a shake up at least and an overhaul in the main. Unfortunately the latter is not an option (and may not even be an option in the summer)

But it’s fine margins. We’ve lost 6 on the bounce and aside from Notts County, we haven’t been outplayed in any of them. We’ve held our own and for the most, bossed the games. We can rightly be salty for not picking up a single point in that time.

Something is missing, of that there is no doubt. A different manager though? No. For the love of ****, let’s not become a stereotypical Prem team fanbase who think the answer is to replace the manager every 11 months.
But what you're missing is if we sack Kev then we get the magical new manager bounce that we need to get us into the playoffs.

Fact of the matter is the manager has his hands tied super tight with an embargo and players not being paid...yet we sat in the playoffs....players get paid so should be positive and they go lose 6 on the bounce.

Apart from being paid what changed...Lopata - was he really that essential.

What it has shown is Kev has zero plan B, same stale players week in week out being allowed to stink up the place. We have a squad, it's might be cack but use it. Drop the likes of Powell for Sandat - he didn't put a foot wrong when he played, why not Try Benton instead of Phonebook - who apart from. Having decent feet is a poor man's Stuart Thurgood

Agree, and you’d expect a management team to cut their losses with the ones who can’t or won’t improve.

Unfortunately, we have no way of replacing those players, so we are where we are.

Playing devil's advocate, are there any players that have improved? Otherwise its a very significant clear out that could write next season off too.

One of the biggest problems is that whenever the ball gets played up to one of the two forwards, it often ends up being played back to where it came from as we simply don't have enough midfielders running beyond them. That alone makes us so easy to defend against.

Playing devil's advocate, are there any players that have improved? Otherwise its a very significant clear out that could write next season off too.
None IMO, we have gone backwards at an alarming rate since earlier in.the season and at least half of the players are just not good enough.

One of the biggest problems is that whenever the ball gets played up to one of the two forwards, it often ends up being played back to where it came from as we simply don't have enough midfielders running beyond them. That alone makes us so easy to defend against.
We miss that CM to drive forward. I thought it would be Husin after the way he played last season but unfortunately this season he's not quite hit the heights.

Tough question.

Kensdale, Hobson, Bridge, Cardwell and Miley have grown in stature.

GSM too, although he’s desperate for a rest.

No doubt we need reinforcements and a few being axed. Sadly, whilst we’re in limbo, we can’t even plan for that.

Six weeks ago, a great pressing midfield and a miserly defence... scoring was always an issue.. covered by bridge and Powell...now thats dried up, there's no one to cover

Back